Masks | Pad Patter 6.28

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 28, 2020.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Clara works at Target and has to spend long hours in a mask. We have several different types/styles that we've purchased and these from TidyThistle on Etsy are hands down her favorite. I even had to place a second order a couple of weeks ago. You can't pick your fabric, but all of the pairs we've gotten have been cute.

Good to know! I've been thinking about ordering some for Clara for college in the fall (provided that actually happens). I like the price for as many as you get. I feel like I need to buy in bulk for her since she won't be able to do laundry daily like we do now.

IntenseMagic and Tree City like this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have one of the original ones from a friend who had hospital ones back in March but for some reason she gave me a small one and it really is uncomfortable. (no way do I need anything child sized!) I have several of the disposable paper ones and one cotton one that a friend made but he used pipe cleaners for the mental nose part which has to be adjusted each time it's worn. Our library is now giving you two nice paper N-style ones each time you pick up books from hold. I now am getting a stockpile of those. Sadly our Old Navy is totally out of masks but I may order some as they are taking orders. Fortunately, we have a very high compliance rate of use in MD.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oooh I love that mask!! Those are great ideas for the wire over the nose! In part of the pre-vocational/life skills class that I teach, we learn to use a sewing machine. I'm thinking this year, we learn to make masks!!

bellbird, Memaw2Wm and BevG like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

I have a couple of the disposable ones that my EMT DIL gave me. That's nice that the library is handing them out!

5. IntenseMagic

Ooh thanks for that link! Those are cute!!

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've purchased masks from two online companies who advertised on Facebook. I wanted masks that tie around my head because I think I'd tire of elastic behind my ears. I got both of these in May so I've worn them several times now.

I have 4 from Fused Hawaii https://www.fusedhawaii.com/products/10-surprise-reveal-surprise-cotton-facemask-buy-1-give-1
    Here's my favorite one because it's my favorite color. :D I also like the black one with bird of paradise flowers and the blue one with black sea turtles on it, but I have yet to wear the gingham one they sent me. They don't let you choose fabric, which sounds practical to me because it probably makes shipping faster! I didn't have to wait long to receive these.
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 4.45.01 PM.png

Then I got 2 from Distance Masks. This blue one https://distancemasks.com/products/blue-cotton-fabric-face-mask-double-layered and the light blue one too. They have the metal nosepiece and they're cut to fit. You actually have to choose from a few sizes. I got Medium and it's kind of snug, or maybe it's perfect; I never liked putting anything on my face.

But I wear them every time I go out, which is just weekly grocery shopping, and I hardly notice it anymore.

If I have to work in customer service before the pandemic is over I'm thinking of getting those face shields. I think I'd prefer wearing a hat with plastic in front of my face, and they give complete coverage. Here's one that looks especially comfortable and even like a normal hat! Some are just bands holding the plastic shield.
    face shield bucket hat.png

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I made a bunch of masks but I ended up wearing real 10+ year old surgical masks which were leftovers stored in the kids toy doctor kit! We used to have to mask when we (frequently) went to Children’s hospital for my niece and I just collected the masks for the kids. Now, years later, they are coming in handy. I like them so well I wash them in a net bag.

Memaw2Wm, Juliestcyr and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

At the beginning of the mess I made some of folded masks and that's what we've been wearing when we are out and about. I wear glasses though and they always fog up my glasses and also, I cannot breathe well at all through them. I only have two layers of fabric in mine. I've been debating on making some new ones with only one layer of fabric in them so I can breathe better. I can't imagine having to wear one all day long. Maybe I should try to buy some of the surgical ones... if I can find them.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@BevG @IntenseMagic Our banks are open- for last 3 weeks. We don't wear masks unless in medical place. If I had to, I would probably choose the kind that go over the chin. Our library is "requiring" them, though our governor is not (??). Our church has them available for anyone wanting them. :) I love the mutual respect we see in our community:grouphug- among do's and don'ts; it is really good to see that in the midst of all the ucky things we have seen lately! :heartlub

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Now these won't appeal to everyone obviously, but I finally decided to get 2 of three patterns for us. Old Bay, MD Flag, & MD Strong. Dick groused so much when I wouldn't share the 2 paper masks I got at the library and has been unwilling to look himself - tho he's a whiz on Amazon but I have the account?!?! so I have to order what he wants.

Eventually I'll get to Old Navy and see if I can find a masculine set for him esp as he's more concerned about his health and insisted on getting one of those oximeters. Yep, after 3 months it may arrive this week!

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 10.53.27 AM.png

IntenseMagic and Tree City like this.
  12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I feel pretty passionately about masks. To me, the most important feature beyond fit/comfort (i.e. the ability for the wearer to handle it for long periods of time) is the efficacy. While the primary benefit is to protect others, they also protect the wearer. I just bought a couple from Stark's. They are triple layered (Water Resistant + Dust Filter + Sweat Filter) with a nose guard to prevent your glasses from fogging (if that's an issue). I don't personally recommend single layered masks, but they are better than nothing. These fit my hubby's face just fine, but they are a little big on me ... so I'm going to modify the ear loops to make them more snug fitting (personal preference). They'd be perfect if they came with adjusters. They don't have a metal piece at the bridge of the nose to make them more close-fitting, but the nose guard seems to work pretty well.

https://starks.com/products/face-masks/

On a side note, I feel very conflicted about in-person instruction. My husband is a teacher and I truly don't think any amount of masks or social distancing in a classroom will really prevent infections. You still have stagnant air, high touch surfaces, common areas, etc ... I've done a ridiculous amount of research on this and the communicability via micro-particals circulating when people are in closed spaces and it is not a good scenario. So many teachers are in high risk groups too. I think it's too soon.

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

so DD has always been different, when she was about 5 or 6 she asked for a dentist kit for xmas, not a doctor that is easy enough to find from Fisher Price, so i still have a bunch of disposible dentist masks from back then b/cos you could never buy them as singles, only in bulk packs. That said, we haven't had to wear them and community transmission has been extremely low here, luckily in all but one state, by international standards. I think you're right about parent attitudes rubbing off though and your DS sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders, caring about all the Aunt Judy's and all.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Listening to the Senate testimonies by Fauci , etc, it feels really difficult to get consistent, reliable information. There was a Senate testimony regarding kids and restarting schools and Fauci neither confirmed nor denied the level of threat for kids returning to school. There was evidence (data) given showing that other nations who had not closed schools did not have any measurable effects in spread. It is hard to find a true north with this thing! Different areas in US are affected differently. Densely populated areas are obviously going to show a different response. I am glad that the states are governing themselves, because each one has a different scenario. I'm not interested in arguing or offending anyone's point of view. :hugThe virus is here long term and those greatly affected (especially in our region) are grouped into a specified category. My husband is in that category, but his doctors (3!) said he is at a greater risk from pneumonia. It is my pov that it must be very difficult to determine right steps. As a former full time teacher (now subbing and doing private art lessons) with a husband as a teacher, it is an issue we have many questions about, and watch for information. Our district has been going in circles. Me personally, I take the measures needed and suggested for my area, and get on with life. We shall see if actual teaching (vs. the ineffective notion of "online instruction") again is a part of that life. :hummm

patsyt and IntenseMagic like this.
  15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

@AJK I agree it's as very difficult decision and there is no one-size fits all approach. It's just so hard to know what the right thing to do is from a health standpoint, that's why I'm so conflicted. It's also difficult to speculate about what the state of infections will be when school starts (for us at the beginning of September).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

I love that mask!! So pretty! And thanks so much for the links! They called from work the other day because the school is going to provide us with something. I told them to order me the shield, that I was going to get some masks on my own, so I'll have both if needed.

michelepixels likes this.
  17. IntenseMagic

Thanks for the link!! I think I'm going to get some from Old Navy, too. I have a crooked nose and a little gap in my teeth, so I was thinking the same thing the other day ;).

18. IntenseMagic

I have a few of the surgical ones, but some cloth ones on the way. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I'm trying to work on wearing it more during the day to get used to it.

Karen likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

I like those!! I've been looking around for some fun ones. If I have to wear one, might as well have some fun with it :)

20. IntenseMagic

Thanks so much for the link and recommendation!! I'm really feeling conflicted as well. As much as I want to see my kiddos and know they need in-person instruction, I'm just nervous. And not thrilled with the thought that I will probably have to stop seeing my mom. I'm not spring chicken either, 55 this year. If I could retire right now, I probably would, but finances don't allow it currently :(

SeattleSheri likes this.