Filed away / Pad Patter 26.June

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 26, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

As it nears winter school break here, my desk gets more certificates & 'keep this' stuff piled in the in tray. I only have my end of high school results & the medals I got from senior PE & Economics of all things, my family has long been rid of 'paper clutter' so I guess I keep more of my kids stuff than is really necessary; but DH has basically everything of his since kindergarten in some of those old sticky backed, plastic sheet photo albums.
    Anyway, so because DH had a few in-person meetings to go to, he was out of our shared office room that has become solely his since work from home started, I tackled some of the pile & organised my 'kids & school stuff' filing cabinet. Some of DD's reports have been PDF's for the last few years but I print them to keep with the other stuff so they aren't lost on a hard drive, which brings me to today's topic -

Do you have any of your school stuff, like reports & awards; & how do you store it? (Can be your or a family members)

2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I still have my own report cards from Primary and Highschool ( I think ) ... but to find them.... I think they are among all my bags of older photos.
    I do not have my daughters school things as they were among her own belongings and when she left home she had a big toss out. She even got rid of her Barbie dolls which she now regrets as her girls would have enjoyed having them.

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol my DS especially was more excited to see his dad's old Lego (the original Space kind) than his primary school awards with Mr.Men characters on them!) We've already let go of my DD's Barbies too, her extensive (read:expensive!) Monster High dolls collection we still have - I wonder what future generations would make of them! Lol

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My mother was a scrapbooker before it was even called that! She put all my grade cards and other ephemera along with photos in 2 albums as I was growing up. They were falling apart so I transferred them to CM albums several years ago.

My college diplomas are framed but in a drawer. My high school diploma along with both of my parents high school diplomas are in their holders and displayed in the living room. They are smaller and sit on a bookshelf.

Other things have been tossed over the years. Got rid of a lot of that type of stuff a couple years ago. Some stuff I took pictures of but most just went out the door. Less stuff is good.

Barbie dolls... gone. Not keeping something that had mold on it!

bellbird likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have a lot of "stuff" even newspaper clippings that I inherited from my mom. The newspaper clippings are pretty yellowed since that was about 100 years ago. I've been scanning them and they look pretty darned good after they're edited. I've been able to use a few of them. Mom kept EVERYTHING - I even found a lock of my hair with a little pink bow on it. I keep a lot of stuff of my kids' too but in the last new years, I've started photographing and now scanning with my phone - it's a lot easier to keep stuff and it doesn't add to the clutter and dust (referring to the "old stuff". I was tickled to find my paternal grandfather's newspaper obit however. He passed away when i was 10 years old. i never knew that he was kind of a local celebrity. They used to write such wonderful obituaries.

HavaDrPepper and bellbird like this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

@Cherylndesigns My mom kept everything as well! I think there is a lock of my hair in my baby book. Yeah, I've got one of those as well that is falling apart.

I too have found that photographing and scanning is a good way to keep items that mean something if the item itself is not in good shape.

bellbird and Cherylndesigns like this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

In my curio cabinet I have some vases from plants my mom received when I was born. I also have 2 pairs of my first shoes and a spoon. The hospital used to give out spoons with your date and time of birth, etc. printed on them. I have a few dolls in my bedroom sitting on a rocking chair we had as kids.

In a box, I have all my old diaries, report cards, etc. I have moved some of my magnetic (sticky) page photo albums to traditional scrapbooks, but not all of them. I have my college graduation robe, cap, and tassel. I have my old Barbies. Most of this stuff is stored away in a cupboard. I think the baby book my mom made when I was born is in that box too.

I really need to get back to traditional scrapping at least 1 day a month. I have about 20 years of printed photos to put in albums. I also have the albums and supplies to scrap them - so I really should.

bellbird and HavaDrPepper like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have a few items in paper scrapbooks from childhood. I've kept some papers from my kids' childhoods in a file cabinet, but mostly I just photograph everything, or lately a lot is digital in the first place. I love the ease of saving stuff digitally!

bellbird likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Most of my childhood is in boxes - at my mom's house :giggle

bellbird likes this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've scanned or photographed the childhood stuff my mom kept - then tossed it. Well, most of it. I have a box about 18" x 12" that has a few things like a rug my grandma made me, my Pre-K t-shirt, and a baby outfit my other grandma made me. Anything paper has been scanned and digitally filed. Barbies, cabbage patch dolls, etc, were all passed down to my sister (11.5 years younger) and now my nieces play with them at Nana's house. Same with lego. My mom has an amazing collection of lego since it spans over 30 years!
    For munchkin, I took all his art projects and made him a Shutterfly book. He likes to look though it and see his work. That one covers an art class he took. I need to do another one to cover the last 2 years.

bellbird and BevG like this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

You know Bev, there are times that I feel like we are long-lost twins! I have a lot of the same stuff you mentioned. Mom had kept my baby utensils along with a couple of silver cups that are engraved with my name. Also have my 1950's version of the Tommee Tippee cup. Mom had my baby shoes bronzed and put on a photo frame. It sat out for many years but I'm not sure where it is now. I think one of the shoes fell off so I might have gotten rid of it.

I also have my old diaries stored away in the basement. Funny to read some of the stuff I wrote in high school... some days it was a struggle to find anything to say! As for old magnetic photo albums, that was the first thing I tore apart when I started scrapping with CM products 20 years ago. Scrapped some of the photos, the others are sorted and filed in envelopes. I do have two magnetic albums I need to do something with. They were Mom's. One was some of their vacations, the other is all the memorabilia from when she retired from teaching and some stuff from her 32.5 year career.

bellbird and BevG like this.
  12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I have very little of my own stuff as when we emigrated to Canada most of it was tossed. What I do have is tucked away in an old trunk in the basement - year books, final report card, etc. I kept a lot of my girls schoolwork which has been kept in large rubbermaid containers in the garage. My younger daughter went through all hers a year ago and condensed things into one container. I'm hoping my eldest will do the same sometime soon!

13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have one plastic bin in my closet. Anything I save has to fit in there. I have a few things from when I was a kid and my hubby was a kid. Then I have a few things from my kids. With 7 kids I really have to narrow it down as to what is really important.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do keep some of the kids' paper stuff, but definitely not everything. I started scanning their artwork (or better yet taking a quick picture) and then I only keep my very favorites. I keep things like certificates and report cards and an occasional story that they've written. I have a plastic tote for each of the boys and they haven't filled up yet.

The ones I have are kinda like this (clear with a handle on the lid):

[​IMG]

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i've never heard of the spoon thing before! i think the only thing i have from the hospital with both kids is that plastic name tag thing they put round their ankles and the basinette name card; i don't know that my mum has anything from me and my siblings from then!
    i bought beautiful (and expensive by digi standards) K & Company stuff when i was pregnant with DD and never ended up using it either, and i look at it now and then and the 12x12 album looks just so massive as i've been ordering 8x8 books when i print stuff - and the idea of pulling everything out and the clean up from doing any traditional is such a deal breaker for me in doing, as you say, some regular basis, traditional scrapping! Best of luck to you in tackling your backlog of photos! (And by the way Bev, your siggy always makes me smile!)

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL that's the perfect place for it!

17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have some plastic bins under my bed with important stuff in it though my real early school stuff my mum more than likely has. In actual fact, going through those bins was meant to be something I did during lockdown but I never got around to it. It does have to be done before I move anywhere as I don’t really want to be paying to move stuff I don’t have to

bellbird likes this.