Backblaze help

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jun 25, 2020.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Now I am rather unsuccessfully working with Backblaze on my issue too but thought one of you may have had the same issue occur too and have a suggestion.

Last week I noticed Backblaze had totally disappeared off my laptop so I went to redownload Backblaze which was fine. I tried to inherit my existing backup which I’ve done a few times before with no problems except this time I got the error code “Horse”. I’ve contacted Backblaze, they have so far suggested, restart machine and try inherit backup again.....didn’t work, disable antivirus (which has been the same the entire time so I was doubtful it would solve the issue).....nothing changed, make sure I was on the latest version of Backblaze which I am (they’ve said my existing back up isn’t on the latest version but I can’t do much about that as I can’t access it).

I use a Windows 10 laptop, Norton antivirus software (not sure of exact name).

I’m at the end of my patience as I have a huge backup that I can’t access and I’ve just paid for another month of service while I’m in this mess.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ugh! What a mess. So sorry Jennifer. I can't help at all since I'm not a Backblaze user, but I know there are lots here that do use it, so I hope they have some helpful suggestions.

3. littlekiwi

@Karen you put it perfectly.....it is a mess that I wouldn’t wish on anyone to be honest. I’m so close to cancelling my subscription, resubscribing and starting the entire back up again but know how long it took me to get fully backed up so I don’t really want to go through that ordeal if it can be sorted while I still have a trial version of Backblaze on my laptop.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I haven't had your problem but I am cancelling my yearly subscription that is up for renewal at the end of the month this week (that I have had for many years). I have had issues with my computer accessing the internet for several years now. Been through everything I can do with my ISP to get it figured out. New modem, new router, upgraded my speed. Nothing worked. Then I noticed that when Backblaze was running my backup, it would intermittently disrupt my internet. Other devices that were on the internet through my router wouldn't connect because of it (try streaming something when this happens!) So I had to start only running my backup over night (thank goodness I also use EHD backups) and after a year, I still don't have a complete backup. In the past I also had it back up an EHD as well as the C drive. I don't even have the EHD on the Backblaze settings yet and my backup still isn't complete. And, more recently, I have it set to run for specific hours... midnight to 8 a.m. I have gotten on after 8 a.m. several times and the backup is still running and even hitting pause won't stop it. Only way I could get it to stop was to shut down and restart the computer.

As long as Backblaze is not running its backup, my internet connection is absolutely fine. That's why I have spent the last 6 weeks cleaning up my computer and hard drives and getting things organized. I have one EHD that does a backup at 11 every night. I have more selected for it than Backblaze and it takes less than an hour to do. I have another EHD that is basically a mirror image of my digi scrapping and documents as another backup and I also purchased a huge EHD that has everything on it and I have now set a schedule to copy any changes to it.

Heck, I even set up a spreadsheet to track when I make major changes (such as downloaded digi kits or photos from cameras) so I know what needs to be copied to the back up drive on my next scheduled back up date. It may be more work but I am in control of it and this doesn't cause me other computer problems like Backblaze has lately.

5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@littlekiwi I wish I could help, but the one time BB went wonky on me, I'm about 99% sure it was my fault. (I'd deselected my C: drive from the backup menu!) I had to redo my backup (because BB isn't going to tell me my C: drive hasn't been backed up if I told it not to back it up, ya know?)

Anyway, hopefully you can figure this out. Is everything on an EHD(s)? If so, your best bet might be to just redo the initial backup, even though that will take so much time.

6. Tree City

This seems so random (and frustrating!). Have you asked BB about it? How old is your router? How fast is your internet? I know BB has settings for how much bandwidth to use; perhaps yours is set so high that it unintentionally hogs all your speed, causing everything else to "disconnect"?

bestcee likes this.
  7. littlekiwi

@Tree City I wish I was smart enough to have an ehd back up but I don’t. All of my data is on my laptop plus the Backblaze backup I can’t access and trying to inherit. If I started again (now I haven’t fully researched this option cause I’m holding out hope that a solution will be found) I may be paying for two cloud backups unless Backblaze can sort the payment stuff out. End of the day I want a working backup that I can access if needed where I’m not paying for more than I should.

Tree City likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

Brand new modem, brand new router didn't make a difference. It still does it. For years I never had a problem and I made absolutely no changes to my settings, never having it set to use all my bandwidth. Then it started cutting out on me, sometimes as long as 15 minutes at a time and I had multiple service calls thinking it was ISP related. It wasn't.

Know how I found out what it was... when my computer got fried last year and I used my laptop until the new computer came, I did not have Backblaze running. I never once had an intermittent disconnect of my internet. Had none when I got the new computer either in the couple of weeks it took me to get things set up from the Backblaze EHD I had to get. Once everything was on the new computer and I set up Backblaze, the intermittent disconnects started again. So I switched off the "continuous" backup so I could use the computer or stream with no issues. Like I said other issues have cropped up and with doing some searching on the internet, others have the same issues and Backblaze is no help at all.

Also, it will do the intermittent disconnects even if I'm not doing anything on the computer or any other device when it would be sharing bandwidth, just doing the backup. I have sat here reading a book and I can see my router and modem lights flicker and when it disconnects.

So sad to say that after a satisfying relationship for many years, I'm done with them.

9. HavaDrPepper

@littlekiwi

EHD backups are very easy to set up. Most EHD's now come with software that will be a backup for you once you install the software. Mine happens to be a Western Digital and all I had to do was tell it what files to backup and set a schedule for backup... just like you do with Backblaze.

My new EHD is a Seagate and it had software as well although I'm not doing a backup on it. I spent the time and copied all my folders/files from my C drive to it so it looks like my C drive only it is on an EHD.

10. littlekiwi

I’m well aware it’s doable but due to past experience I’d rather not have onsite back up - when my last laptop was stolen my mums was too as well as our backup ehd that we’d only just done. It’s definitely something I’d look at once we aren’t living in the same place so that it’s an off site option.

11. Tree City

Since others have the same problem, you'd think BB would want to fix it. What a bummer for you to have to find a different solution.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Total Sidenote: Anti-virus can be finicky things. When I worked at an Internet Service company, Norton updated their database and blocked Facebook, Twitter, and many other social media sites. It was a mess for the whole day! We had so many complaints about the ISP blocking them, when it was the antivirus. That's one of the reasons it's the first thing customer service has you do for almost anything - disable ad blockers and antivirus.

So, you mentioned two accounts? Do you have two different logins? Or is it the same one? I found this help article, I don't know how many of the things you have tried in it: https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217665988-ERROR-Horse.
    I had to tell Windows to let BB work when I transferred it over. Otherwise, Windows blocks it.
    Another thought: Is your Windows Anti-defender working? You mentioned stopping Norton, but the Windows one can create issues too. It hates letting me run Adobe CC! :duh

13. HavaDrPepper

That's why I have the multiple EHD's. One is in a metal case along with my very important documents that can be carried out of the house in case of fire. Case is locked and not in a visible area. Another EHD is in a metal filing cabinet, also not in visible view. But again I live in an area that is not a high crime area and home break-ins are rare so my worry has always been a fire destroying the house.

It is all about what you are comfortable doing for back ups. At this time, Backblaze is not worth it for me with all my frustrations. I can't even blame anti-virus or Windows on it since my settings on those never changed over the years.

I do hope you get your issues worked out because you have posted about being frustrated with Backblaze before.

Tree City likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

@bestcee no, not two accounts per say, one existing account and one trial which uses the same account - It’s the data I can’t transfer/inherit

15. littlekiwi

well overnight Backblaze sent me some more instructions (the one disadvantage of not being in the same continent as the help, there are time delays between help) and after deleting every single backblaze installer I had floating around on my laptop, uninstalling backblaze, redownloading backblaze and restarting my machine before trying to inherit the backup, it has finally worked! Thank you all for being a listening ear at least....honestly thought I was going to have to start again the longer it dragged on.

bestcee, KimJ, Karen and 3 others like this.
  16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

littlekiwi likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yay! I'm glad they were able to help you finally! And also that's great you don't have to start over from scratch again! That must be a huge relief!

littlekiwi likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

Definitely a big relief, was not looking forward to the prospect of over 300,000MB having to be reuploaded. I probably need to streamline that a bit as I’d say a good chunk of that is actually program stuff etc rather than the things I want to backup. Think I’ve let it run itself cause I have to go through and exclude each folder with Backblaze so it was always in the too hard basket.

Karen likes this.
  19. Tree City

You can also exclude file types. That saves a lot of time if there's a certain file type that's strewn across your computer that you don't want backed up.

bestcee likes this.
  20. littlekiwi

There’s probably only up to maybe 10-12 file types I need so the job has always seemed too big or my priorities are elsewhere when I’m on my laptop.