Father's Day | Pad Patter 6.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 21, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Happy Father's Day to all our Pad Dads!!
    We are double celebrating this year because it's also my youngest son's 15th birthday! It's always a little somber around here because both my dad and my FIL passed very close to Father's Day, but we try to make it special for DH. The birthday celebration is really a blessing as it gives us something happy to focus on! Chance doesn't like cake, so I made Chocolate Eclair Desert for his birthday and it also happens to be DH's favorite. We are going to have take-out from the Japanese restaurant later and Starbucks to go with dessert. That's how the birthday boy wants to celebrate. DH's gift was a charging station for his Apple Watch/iPhone, and all Chance wants this year is money and for me to take him to the bank to open an account and his own debit card. He figures if he has an account with money in it, I can't say no when he wants to swing in McDonald's for chicken nuggets :giggle.

Anything special going on at your house for Father's Day?

Karen and SeattleSheri like this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Our Father’s Day isn’t til September I think but it’s not something that is celebrated as I’ve never known my dad since my mum emigrated to New Zealand a few months before I was born nearly 33 years ago (it isn’t spoken about, I’ve never asked and it truly doesn’t bother me that I don’t know my dad or don’t have contact with him)

SeattleSheri and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We're staying home because that's what DH likes to do. :) I recorded my kids answering survey questions about their dad, so we'll watch those some time today too. I'm hoping to record surveys for the grandpas today too so we can send them a link to watch.

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I lost all train of thought when I saw this.... :happydance2

But, no nothing going on here. My father died when he was 53 of ALS and my 1st FIL died in 1986 so they both have ben gone fro decades. Dick will probably hear from his three some time today but otherwise, it's just an ordinary day in our house. Ditto mother's day which is fine with both of us.

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

For me Father's Day is just another Sunday. The last one I have memories of is 4 years ago... I spent the day at the funeral home visitation for my father. Buried him the next day.

6. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

DH likes the five cheese ziti from Olive Garden, so I'm going to see if I can make it. Yes, going to Olive Garden would have been easier, but where's the fun in that?

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Sounds like you have a great day planned, Jan! It is somber when a death happens close to a special holiday but it sounds like you make it a nice day in spite of that. Their gifts both sound perfect and good for Chance for wanting to open his own account so he'll have a debit card for things he wants.

Pretty quiet around here - just laying low as we've done for what seems like forever now. DH has gotten lots of phone calls and texts with Father's/Grandfather's wishes. That's all he needs!

Hope everybody has a nice day!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It's a typical quarantine day around here. We're staying home and DH is cooking whatever he wants for dinner. He always makes good food, but today he chose exactly what he wanted, which was cold noodle bowls. And we're not visiting my or DH's parents because they're in the Midwest. Unfortunately we probably won't be seeing them for quite awhile. (DH and I don't relish the thought of a 13-hour road trip during what is still a pandemic.) Thank goodness I could have my dad's gift delivered to my brother. And my brother was kind enough to text me a pic of our dad with the gift!

As for presents, I gave DH stuff on Animal Crossing: a "Thanks Dad" mug that the kids saw and wanted to give him, a lab coat, and sandals. The kids thought it was funny to see DH get his gifts on the TV. Normally I'd gift him something IRL lol, but with the new HVAC system last month, we both said our bdays (close to each other in the summer), anniversary, and Father's Day all are covered by the HVAC "gift."

Jan @IntenseMagic I'm sorry about your dad and your FIL. That does make the day hard. My grandpa died on Father's Day, and while the date of Father's Day changes, the holiday is still tough for my dad.

9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

DD and I made fresh fruit parfait-like things with granola and greek yoghurt for hubby with a basket filled with nuts and snacking treats. Hopefully his sons will also contact him to wish him. Relaxed rainy day at home - just the way he likes it.

10. IntenseMagic

My dad passed two days after Father's Day 8 years ago. We had the visitation on Chance's birthday and buried him the next day. He was only 7, so we just pretended that his birthday was the next weekend.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

How did it turn out??

12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Oh, I am sorry for your loss. My Dad is still living, though dealing with Alz. He had a good day today so I was able to talk via phone with him. DH was really emotional yesterday- in tears in fact due to the loss of GC's and time with our son. He said he can't remember the last Father's Day they spent together- since son married. :(
    But today was a bit better. Son DID text and then even called, which is a big deal in estrangement situations. We are thankful for that. We try to see the good in a hard time. This made it easier to be in church with other families, and then we went out to lunch :agree , and just finished a cookout at home- Kurdish food. :beat:) You don't realize how much one takes for granted when things are calm, or things are at ease. Now we cherish the small things. :yup

SeattleSheri likes this.
  13. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

It was good, but the two cups of mozzarella in the topping will be cut down to one cup if I make it again.
    So sorry for everyone losses. My dad's birthday would have been three days from now, so he's on my mind this time of year.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

My husband is an avid fly fisherman, so he went out this morning. I'm making cioppino (per his request) and I whipped up a lemon pound cake for dessert. I made him a hybrid Father's day card and 16 coupons "from my boys" for him to redeem (things like making him dinner, washing his car, etc). Normally we'd take him out to brunch, etc ... but we are celebrating pandemic-style this year ;)

Like Jennifer, I've never met my dad. I found my uncle/his brother and half siblings a couple years ago through 23&Me and Ancestry. My dad knows I exist, but chooses not to have a relationship with any of his children, so Father's day has never been something I've personally celebrated.

15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

We went for a short walk and it's 7:30pm and I am going to bed.

cookingmylife likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

In 2009 my dad's oldest brother died on June 15th, a Monday (Dad was June 14th, a Tuesday). We buried his brother on Saturday... day before Father's Day. Because Dad died in NC and was buried in Ohio, it took several days to get him back here and Martha couldn't get here until Saturday so we waited until Monday for the burial which meant visitation on Father's Day. Both my parents died on a holiday (Dad - Flag Day, Mom - Boxing Day) and were buried around another holiday... Dad - Father's Day, Mom - New Year's Eve.

And, that is why I hate holidays of any kind. And, for me, it hasn't gotten any easier as time goes by.

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My poor hubby... I put him to work all day yesterday. :giggle When went to church and the boys and I made him french toast for lunch (his favorite) and then we worked in our side yard on a re-do project. We dug a zillion loads of dirt out and then this weekend got 2 yards of crushed concrete, so we laid that down and tamped it in place, added a layer of sand and then laid pavers to make a nice walkway. We worked on that from about 2:00 until 7:00 and were both WIPED out. lol. But then I let him order his favorite pizza for dinner, so it wasn't all bad. Lol. Also, I told him he gets a re-do next weekend to do what he actually wants to do.

18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My hubby wanted to go play in the creek with the kids so that's what we did. Then we picked up some Fajitas from the Mexican Restaurant (what they hubby wanted) and my dad and mom joined us for dinner.

19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We did a social distanced visit with my dad. He's on shielding so isn't allowed outside. We stood 2 meters from the house while he stood inside with the front door open.