Button, Button | Pad Patter 13/6

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 13, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Is it just me, but when shirts come with a handy dandy spare button sewed on the inside tag, those shirts don't ever lose a button, but the shirts that don't have a spare lose it after the first wash?!

This week my hoarding buttons (among other crafty stuffs from my Before-Digi Era) paid off and i found one in my stash that worked with some winter pj's - and yeah, my DH said no one sees your winter pj's but us, as i was sorting through my tin, but still i'd prefer the buttons to be close to a match. (Couldn't find a thimble for the life of me though so i came out of it a bit sore - made me think of Marilyn's collection! @mcurtt

So are you a button saver?
    And is this a cookie tin or a sewing stash to you?

[​IMG]
    Did you ever buy a shirt just for the fancy buttons (and especially the spare one) with crafty intentions? - I'm a definite yes to that one although i rarely used them on paper scrapbooking pages. I'd also buy the mixed button collections from the craft store sometimes.
    [​IMG]
    My kids used to like sorting them and making patterns out of them and the box felt like a bit of a treasure chest and i remember doing and feeling the same about my grandmother's button stash in one of those biscuit tins. We still use them but mostly as bingo card markers.

cfile and mcurtt like this.
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@bellbird LOL! I have somewhere around 3,000 thimbles. If I would have known, I could have teleported one to you. :beat

And yes, I have my grandfather's buttons. He was a tailor, schooled in Austria. His tailor's thimble was the first in my collection.

Karen, michelepixels and bellbird like this.
  3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Yes! So true. I usually save them in the bathroom drawer until I deep clean and then I usually throw them out or give them to my kids to do "crafts" with.

And my Grandma had that same tin full of buttons!

bellbird likes this.
  4. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I have memories of a large jar of buttons that my mother owned and us children would sometimes look through them.

I have a jar also of spare buttons and also lots of bought buttons for craft that I rarely use. Which is possibly why I rarely use button elements on my digi pages.

bellbird likes this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My granny and mother both had glass jars filled with buttons.
    My dressing table drawer housed buttons from our family, shirts, school blazers etc.

bellbird likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My mom always had a box or jar of buttons around the house. I have no buttons except for a few that I bought specifically for a crafty project and I just got them from the craft section. I am actually trying to think of any clothes that I own that have buttons, other than my jeans lol. I might have one sweater with buttons. DH has a few dress shirts, but very rarely wears them and Lord only knows where the extra buttons went that came with them :giggle.

bellbird likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Unfortunately the first image isn't appearing for me, just a tiny blue square with a question mark in it. But I think I know the cookie tins you're referring to.
    I throw buttons in this little jar I've had for so long -- two to three decades -- that I don't remember where I got it. I rarely do anything with the buttons. When my kids were little they played with them a bit.
    IMG_5539.JPG

bellbird likes this.
  8. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol- I totally have a cup of random buttons. I never use them as intended- usually on cards or hybrid projects! ;)

bellbird likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

My grandmother taught us how to make button caterpillars!
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Way too funny Justine and oh so true re the extra buttons on the garment never loses... I have a stash from my Grandmother... as for our stuff, knock wood I am pretty lucky that way. If I see something loose I quick fix it, but it has been a long while :) Fun conversation!

bellbird likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to have those little baggies with the extra buttons all over in my sock drawer and then I finally realized that I never once used one of them, so I finally took an old jelly jar and started collecting them in there for crafty uses. :giggle

I remember my Mom always had a button jar too and I LOVED to play with them. We did a lot of sewing when we were young and I always loved hunting through her button stash to pick out my buttons. At one point she ordered a bag of bulk mixed button from a mail order catalog place and then we had a TON of fun buttons!

bellbird likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

What a cute idea! Never seen anything like this before & I'm seriously amazed considering how much crafty idea stuff Pinterest sends me!

13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

My mom has her own jar of buttons, as well as my grandmother's and my great-grandmother's. I don't have mine in a glass container (my mom shows off her buttons LOL). I have a Rubbermaid tiny container that I keep in my sewing box in my sewing cabinet (where I keep all of my cross stitch kits, patterns, and embroidery thread). I always take the buttons out of the little bags and pop them right in this container.

I do have some buttons that are with my crafting supplies as well, but I didn't feel like digging those out to take a photo. LOL But here's my little sewing box/kit:

IMG_20200615_183349.jpg

14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I can't remember the last time I bought something with buttons on it. I guess my son does have a few polo shirts with buttons. I don't wear button-down shirts because of my chest, and my daughter doesn't like buttons or zippers on her clothes.

So, no, we have absolutely no button collection of any kind. I don't even know how to sew a button back on something, and I have no thread or needles, either. :)

15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I once bought a dress for the tiny mother of pearls it had! they were just so precious!

btw. those are my favorite cookies! Last Christmas I put Bianca's new PJs and socks inside on of those tins and she was so excited to see the tin!!!! She loves the cookies too, she was so upset with me when she opened until she figured out that the PJs and socks were Snoopy themed!