Thunderstorms | Pad Patter 6.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 14, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We are in the middle of a thunderstorm right now and I love them so, as long as the winds don't get too crazy. I have all the windows open, listening to the rain and I'm like a kid bouncing from window to window to see the lightning.
    My sister, on the other hand, is probably hiding somewhere. She has always been terrified of storms.

How about you? Do you like thunderstorms?

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

NO!! I got a weather alert on my phone and they're just starting! They're terrible down here! It's like the lightening goes clear through our house!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I enjoy a good thunderstorm but we don't get many around here. The thunder and lightning kind of roll around the edges of the valley but don't get too close.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Love them unless the winds are too fierce and I worry about a tree, ours or the really big old oak across the street. In Bangkok we used to have horizontal lightning that used to come through the house! In a storm, any storm, the power would usually go off, so we'd have the doors and shutters open until we went to bed. I'd never seen that or heard of such lightning and it didn't hurt you. @Cherylndesigns Is this what you mean?

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have a healthy sense of awe for thunderstorms. :)

It was just partly cloudy here today.

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I used to really enjoy listening to storms when I was younger. In 1994 lightning struck my apartment building and started a fire. The apartment next to ours was completely destroyed. After that, I was really not a fan. They don't bother me quite as much as they used to, but I still get a bit uneasy. And I really hate it when we get one super-loud boom that shakes the whole house... especially since they always seem to happen while I'm sleeping and startle the heck out of me! :scared :rolleyes:

7. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

We just left the beach because of this! I do love a good thunderstorm but this cloud was just weird. We just made it home in time not to get wet.
    web_holeinacloud.jpg

Karen likes this.
  8. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Love them if they aren't too severe. One year we saw the lightening strike the back yard. It knocked out power on the whole north side of the house. Fried the TV and the treadmill plus a few other things. The treadmill came back after a few months but one day while I was walking it just started to speed up and wouldn't slow down. Not even the "emergency cord" would shut if off. My husband had to come unplug it from the wall. I wouldn't walk on it again and it never did that while my husband used it. We did end up having to buy a new TV....I could have been fixed but the fix cost as much as a new one. Now, when a storm is really close, we unplug everything e can! I still like to sit in my sunroom and listen.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

It almost looks like you painted it!

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

If I'm in my home, I don't mind a thunderstorm during the day. Not a fan of night storms since you can't see anything in the dark and if there is lightning, it scares me. I much prefer a nice slow steady rain right about bed time. Love falling asleep to the sound of rain on the roof.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We've had an extra stormy spring! I love them too! We usually let kids stay up later so they can watch too! The Thunder woke me up the other night it was SO loud!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love watching a good storm. I live a mile from Lake Michigan and I really love being able to watch the storms roll across the lake! About 2 weeks ago we had a storm roll through that caused flash flooding which is really rare around here and I was out walking with my friend. We huddled under the eave of a garage that we were near when the rain started to get really heavy and there were a couple of thunder booms that we a little too close for comfort since we were stuck outside. Lol! It rained so hard that we saw several manhole covers pop out and water was gushing up out of them!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

we had a huge one yesterday - caused flash flooding, and the noise on the roof was astounding.
    I like storms, just as long as I'm not out in them. I remember being in a tent during a thunder storm at night and the flashes were so bright - it was really scary.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

[​IMG]
    I have been fairly successful in overcoming my fear of heights which began after nearly going over a cliff in Honduras. But the thunderstorm thing, NO. I have a really weird reaction to lightning. Thunder can startle me once in awhile due to its unpredictability, but lightning takes my voice away. I read about others who also have a rare reaction to lightning, and stated that it is related to the energy released into the atmosphere with the strikes. Really embarrassing!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

As a child I was so scared of thunderstorms that I would hide under my covers and plug my ears and close my eyes tight. But now I'm ok with them. I remember thinking as a young mother that I didn't want my children to be afraid of the storms like I had been. So I worked at not being afraid anymore and got to where I could enjoy them. I loved the ones in Arizona. Loved watching the heat lightning in the summer. Loved the fierce storms that came with the monsoon. Here in Washington we don't see lightning much or hear the thunder very often and I miss that. We live in the mountains and are surrounded by pine trees where I live so not having lightning often is a good thing. People are always on fire alert. It's raining today but it's just a lovely gentle rainfall. Very different from Arizona.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I hate them, also running around unplugging the tv, computers etc from plug points.
    We get them very seldomly so not used to them at all.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I absolutely LOVE them!! So does my son. Our deck in on the top of our building (8ish floors) and we stood out there last week and watched a storm roll in over the city. We came in when we started getting wet, but still stood there and watched from the sliding glass doors for a while longer. I still loved them at our old house, but I couldn't enjoy them as much as I was sure that our neighbor's huge old tree would end up crashing through our roof at some point.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I hate them for many reasons....
    1- one of our dogs HATE them, she can feel them come HOURS before they are here. It's horrible to be around the poor dog during a storm, don't even think sleeping is close to even possible.
    2- they remind me of hurricanes and my experience with hurricanes was not the best!
    3- I'm afraid of water, so anything to do with water it becomes my enemy! I know it's ridiculous, but it is what it is!

Cherylndesigns and IntenseMagic like this.
  19. IntenseMagic

We don't get really really severe storms very often because the mountains tend to break them up, so I might feel differently if we did.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

They tend to break up around here because of the mountains. Every now and then we get a good one.

janedee likes this.