VCR | Pad Patter 6.7

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 7, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We used to record our soaps in college so that we didn't miss them when we had class. That's also the time that we rented The Breakfast Club 1000 times and my roommate and I had the whole movie memorized from start to finish. It amazing how far technology has come!! I remember when they made the VCRs with 2 slots so that you could copy from one to another...that was the only way to share lol.

Karen likes this.
  2. IntenseMagic

I just recently bought a DVD player again. I love to get movies from Redbox and we had been using DS's Playstation to watch them. He took it to his room, so I had to have a new way to watch. Amazing how cheap they are now compared to when they came out! None of our PCs have CD/DVD slots.

3. IntenseMagic

And having to rewind them hahaha. That was a pain!

4. IntenseMagic

I really need to do that, and I also say that all the time and still not done lol.

5. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We had one growing up but no, my children have never seen one or know what it is. They barely even know what CD or DVD players are & get annoyed on the very rare occasion when we watch live TV and have to sit through commercials. #spoiledmuch

I remember that my college roommate got a TiVo when we were juniors AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST COOLEST DEAL EVER.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

haha! we had BETA instead of a VCR when I was younger (early 80s). I think I was maybe 3rd or 4th grade when we got it. And it too was tethered to the remote. We kids weren't allowed to use the remote! I remember going to the video store and renting movies all the time! We also recorded Disney's Sunday night movies on television. My brother has the BETA machine right now and all the BEAT movies. when the movie store stopped renting BETA we bought a whole bunch. LOL

We actually do still have a VCR in the house because we will occasionally record one to DVD with a burner or something (my husband does it). My kids do know what VCR is but they have no clue what I'm talking about when I refer to the BETA machine. LOL

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. tinkerbell1112

In High School I worked at a grocery store that had a video rental area that I helped out in and secretly loved to charge that extra $1 for people not rewinding. LOL

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

As a child and young married couple I remember having a VHS player. I remember going to Movie Gallery and renting movies on Friday night. I distinctly remember a conversation that my hubby and a friend had (probably late 90's) about DVD players. My hubby arguing that DVD players would replace VHS and our friend vehemently disagreeing. Haha!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I moved back in with my parents in 1984 and we then had 2 VCR's. Guess who figured out how to hook them together to copy from one tape to another. That's how I put together my tape of all the soap opera moments I wanted to keep. At one time I think we had 3 VCR's in the house. One in my room, one in the living room and one in the basement after Dad had made it into a family room. So each of us could watch different tapes if we wanted to!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

I think we did as well. I was always the one to figure out anything to do with electronics in my house. Every time my dad would get something new, he would just hand it to me and say "figure this out and get back to me" :giggle

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

My husband's family had a little store at one time with a video rental area, and he said the same thing :giggle

12. IntenseMagic

Haha! I remember the controversy! So funny, of course I'm old enough to remember the controversy when cassettes came to replace albums and CD's came to replace cassettes. It makes me really wonder sometimes what can possibly be next.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

My son gets annoyed with commercials as well #sospoiled. Oh, I had forgotten about TiVo! We did have a cable box at one time that had DVR built in. There was one show that I recorded all the time and I cannot remember what it was for the life of me, but I distinctly remember checking that DVR all the time so I didn't miss it.

14. IntenseMagic

I can remember the argument back in the day about which was better, and was BETA going to replace VHS. I told my dad he needed a BETA machine and him telling me that he was going to stick to VHS. I loved browsing the video stores! Such great memories this thread is bringing back!

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  15. tinkerbell1112

and sticking with VHS was the right move. :-)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. tinkerbell1112

lol

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I bet we do somewhere in the house, even though I think I donated them.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. Dalis

I'll date myself a lil' bit more. My mom found my favorite 8-track a few months ago! She wanted to know if I wanted it. LOL!!!!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

I still have 8-tracks at my mom's house, too :giggle

Dalis likes this.
  20. Dalis

Good to know, I am not the only one that left stuff behind at my mom's house. LOL!!!!

IntenseMagic likes this.