weird injuries | Pad Patter 15 May

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, May 15, 2020.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

This is my daughter's department, but I do have a couple of my own. Most recent wasn't very dramatic, but one of Clara's friend's moms gave us a ride home from a meeting and as I got out of the car, I was still sort of talking to her and somehow managed to shut my finger in her car door. The door latched and I completely panicked that she was going to drive off with me attached to her car! I kept yelling at Clara to open the door for me, she thought I had lost it and said "just use your other hand". Sigh... never would have thought of that... lol! I freed myself and pretended everything was fine while trying not to pass out. :-)

Here's my PSA for the day... don't walk with your hands in your coat pockets. Twice (TWICE!!!) I have tripped (once over a crack in the sidewalk, once on my shoelaces) with my hands in my coat pockets. In the panic of falling, I wasn't able to get my hands out of my pockets and ended up scraping my face on the sidewalk. Good times.

2. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

I'm crying laughing with all these stories, not at all our pain, but getting out of bed is dangerous!

I didn't see a height difference in a NYC sidewalk last year and down I went rolling my left ankle. All my weight on my foot, it really hurt. This on our first day in the city so I hobbled around for 3 days. I wasn't going to let it ruin the end of our trip. After returning home and getting to the Dr. 5 days later I learned I did have a broken foot.

@jenn mccabe my daughter was a ballet dancer for years, so we're familiar with nasty blisters. Soak your foot in warm to hot ish water with Epson salt. It dries up the blister very fast.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    jenn mccabe likes this.
  3. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Not weird, but I am also very dangerous in the kitchen...ALWAYS cutting myself...never anything really horrible (yet?) but Dave worries about leaving me alone when I'm cooking. I also frequently forget to turn the gas off, and have ruined a couple of pans because they got too hot for too long. I HAVE learned it is important to wear shoes while cooking. I've had to dodge FALLING knives a few time. I still don't WEAR real shoes all the time (flip flops are my normal summer footwear), but I know I SHOULD.

4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

You need to get a pair of No Cry gloves. They do indeed protect your hands from getting cuts. I even wear them when peeling potatoes as a I tend to go fast with the peeler. After I use them, I just swish them in the sink with dish soap and hang to dry. They are also great for wearing when using a grater - no more scrapped knuckles!

Lisa B and SharLamb like this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

A food pick (I have the Pampered Chief one) can also save your fingers from knife cuts.

SharLamb likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to get hurt all the time when I was little... like 3-4 years old. I'd coming running in the house crying about what injury I had just sustained. My poor Mom. Then finally when I came running in crying again and said I'd run into a tree, she finally had my eyesight tested. :rofl I was blind as a bat!

7. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Nothing too bad over here.

I do tend to burn myself all the time in the kitchen. I have multiple burn marks on my wrist and hands.

I also have TMJ and one time when I was working out. I was doing some kind of ab work out on my stomach and I guess it was the way I was laying but my jaw completely popped out. I couldn't get it to go back in. Pain for a week and by the time I finally got into the ENT it was back in place just really badly swollen.

8. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Yet another for me - I got up this morning and my shoulder now hurts when I lift my arm. geesh. I don't know if I slept wrong or what?!? Strange because I didn't do any crazy lifting or anything that I can think of.

9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

thank you for that. i never heard that before - we do have Epson salts on hand. :)

10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

that is a GOOD thing! I'm sure it helps with piece of mind for her and for loved ones!

11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm not sure it falls into the "weirdest" category, but it certainly was the most inconvenient!

My youngest dd was getting married in Florida (we lived in Michigan so a lot of long distance planning was involved). My oldest dd and I were making one last stop at a fancy shoe store in Michigan - I had everything but my Mother-of-the-bride shoes. On the way into the store, I tripped over a little pipe that was sticking up through the sidewalk. Long story short, I broke my foot. Yep, right before the big wedding that we had been planning for a year.

I begged the ortho to let me wear a boot and of course it was lovely - big and black. I changed my whole ensemble to "go with my boot". I decided to wear black Palazzo pants and a beautiful black beaded blouse. I had formerly purchased a sage green suit, which I returned. On my "other foot", I wore a black shoe with a teeny tiny heel to make it the same height as my boot.

Fortunately, my dd's wedding colors were black and white with sage green accents.

12. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

*L* I am clumsy and injure myself all the time doing stupid things like getting out of bed or cutting potatoes! *L*

but the most oddest injury ever.. was when I was in 5th grade. I was at this summer program playing kick ball. 1st base. I went to catch the ball and it hit me just right in the arm . Shattered the bone in three places! i was in a cast all summer!

13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

When I was 23(?), I was carrying 2 overnight bags down a flight of stairs and on the landing to go down another flight when I attempted to step over the giant mastiff in the way and sidestepped onto the flight of stairs, which had no railing, and fell allllll the way down on my back until I got to the ground level.

I didn't seriously injure myself that time... but I did when I fell down that same flight of curved stairs (the first flight described above) a year later with my arms full and ended up spraining my ankle & breaking my pinky toe. I had to army-crawl up the stairs to get into the attic apartment to call my then-husband to come help me. A pair of crutches & an aircast later... I ended up spending a week or two at my parents' one-level house so I didn't have to go up & down the stairs at my house all the time.

14. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am glad I am not the only one.

[​IMG]

I have too many stories but don't remember most of it... I bet that is part of the side effect of having TOO MANY of these type of stories.