There goes the A/C unit....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, May 28, 2020.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

and we are officially without an A/C unit! DANG IT!

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Oh no and did the heat outside start up yet? Our humidity turned on this week, so our A/C has been blasting away.

Dalis likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Shut the front door, Dalis! We're twins: Ours died Saturday. We replaced our HVAC system yesterday. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you. Our system was 17 years old and the a/c had already been fixed at least 5 years ago (before we moved in)...we worried that the (second) repair was going to break in the middle of summer, and if we were still in quarantine, then it would have been really not fun to be at home in the hot and humid temps here, especially since DS has bad seasonal allergies so we can't open the windows. It was already yucky in his room this weekend. So we had the whole system replaced.

Sorry to ramble! I just made a lo about this lol so it's on my mind.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Dalis likes this.
  4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Oh, no! Hope it's a quick, easy, inexpensive fix! We have two HVAC systems - one for the bedrooms and one for the rest of the house. Both have gone out at different times many times over the 25 years we've been here. Fortunately, we can just migrate to whatever part of the house is working when that happens, so although it can be pricey, at least we aren't too uncomfortable.

Dalis likes this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh no, Dalis! We have two units, also and the upstairs unit was just replaced. Of course, ours runs year round so it/they really get a workout.

Dalis likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh no!!! I'm sorry Dalis! At least it's supposed to cool off this weekend, so you won't be melting while you wait for repairs. Our AC sounded like it was struggling when we turned it on a few days ago, so I think I'm going to schedule someone to come look at it... except I'm afraid they will say it needs to be replaced. We've been in our house 17 years and it wasn't new when we moved in! Eep!

Dalis likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Our 26 year old house has 2 HVAC systems and the upstairs one is about to get replaced! We just had 3 companies come give us quotes. Not sure how soon it will be. But the Virginia humidity is setting in so I'm looking forward to it, even though I will miss the fresh air coming through the windows that I've been enjoying.

Good luck Dalis!

Dalis likes this.
  8. Dalis

Our unit is 20 years old, the last 3 years we have had to fill up the freon (gas) in the unit. Since it's so old, the gas is super expensive to buy and hard to get. Our guy has been filling up with his stash and charging us just what he paid for. He said last year that this year would be the year to replace the entire system. OUCH! The bill is not great!

9. Dalis

Where is your page?

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

sorry, DS needed my laptop for schoolwork today. UGH, I hate sharing! :giggle
    [​IMG]

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  11. Dalis

OMG... ours died either the 26th or 27th! I am so hot!!!!! at least today is not terrible!!!!!!! ours is york too! 20 yrs baby!

Tree City likes this.
  12. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Oh no, great timing ;-) Twenty years not bad though

13. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Hope you can get it replaced ASAP. Twenty years is great. My grandson is an HVAC installer. When he was over last Sunday he mentioned that he was fully booked for the next two weeks. Tis the season for repairs and replacements.

14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Oh no!!! I hope you can get it fixed soon. This week has been the first hot/humid week of the year for us. I can't imagine not having AC.

Dalis likes this.
  15. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I would die! It's already in the 90s every day in Southwest Florida.

Dalis likes this.
  16. tania

tania Clap Hands, Save Fairies

OH NO! We don't have air conditioning and it was hot earlier this week. I feel for ya!

Dalis likes this.
  17. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Oh man :( sorry about that! We don't have air conditioning. We have to put units in the window.

Dalis likes this.
  18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Our home AC unit died a couple of years ago and .... no $$ to justify replacing it. Good thing is we have a wrap around porch and plenty of windows so it really doesn’t get too bad in our home. Our youngest son (21) who still lives at home bought himself a window unit last summer and pays us extra to cover the cost of running that in his bedroom on the second floor.

Dalis likes this.
  19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

We just had ours repaired. The freon leaked out and the system froze up inside and outside. It is 20 years old so we need to plan on replacing it in the fall if it makes it that far. @Dalis I really hope that you are in the process of getting yours fixed. We all used to live without AC but not any more.

20. Dalis

It was here too, though yesterday and today are not bad! Yesterday I was cold in my bed with the fan! yay!

meganmecrazy likes this.