Quarantine Question: In Short Supply

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Apr 21, 2020.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

If this was me, I'd be buying at least 2 pairs. One for a backup.

Even before Covid, I did that with certain styles of athletic shoes. I have worn Dr Scholl's shoes for over 25 years and could usually find them at Wal-Mart. It has gotten to the point that Wal-Mart does not carry a large stock of them so if I see them in my size I pick up a pair even if I don't need them just yet. Started doing this 4 or 5 years ago and it is a good thing. Wal-Mart now only carries the white shoes in the wide width. My size only comes in black and they don't have it very often. And, I have checked other larger Wal-Marts in the area... same story.

BevG likes this.
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

We have shortages of all the usual stuff - TP, paper and cleaning supplies, health products (tylenol, thermometers, etc) and meat. Everyone had been baking like crazy - so all the baking supplies shelves were bare, even pancake mix. It was so weird.

I hear you on the bikes. About four weeks ago we were walking on the rail trail and we saw kids on online skates and one kid had roller skates. My daughter was like, ooh that looks fun. So we both got a pair and have been using them in empty school parking lots. So much fun. She's been trying to get some nice pads for herself - ordered some but returned them because they were crap. She said about 2 weeks ago someone did some TicTok vids about roller skating and now there's no roller skates to be had anywhere. Whew. So glad we ordered ours when we did. But she can't get knee/ wrist pads at the moment.

3. HavaDrPepper

I realized during this that I do not have a thermometer at all. Years ago I had the one from my childhood (mercury) but I don't even remember how long ago I got rid of it. I had looked on Amazon and the shipping dates were so far out that I didn't even order. Last week I looked again and there was an oral thermometer I could get within a week. It came yesterday so I do at least have a thermometer in the house. Evidently I do not use one very often if I don't ever remember when I got rid of the old one but I do have one if needed!

The thing I could never find was my Country Crock. It doesn't last long in my house. No stores in the area were getting it in and if they did, it was gone as soon as it hit the shelf. I was finally able to find one 10 days ago although it was the original and not the calcium which is the one I always get. However, my last trip to Wal-Mart, they only had 2 left on the shelf... both calcium! Guess who took them both!

I have also found that soups are hit or miss. Some times the shelves are fully stocked, some times they aren't. Probably because I never go the same day every week.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  4. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's funny, Jenn! @jenn mccabe I had no idea skates were coming back! I remember this kind:
    antique roller skates.JPG
    I had those and later my sisters got the newer versions. Me. No. We didn't have knee pads back then, and
    what I really needed was
    [​IMG]
    pads for another part of the anatomy. We went to the rink mostly with Youth group, but I never mastered skating. Dyslexia makes some of those things challenging. Ha. And now I see that a company is upgrading the antique version of skates, but I won't be buying. lol. Can't leave this post without this:

jenn mccabe likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Not seeing shortages here except for craft paint and fat quarters/one yardage at Walmart.
    The best thermometer we ever had was a digital forehead thermometer. Similar but not exactly like this:
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what happened to it but I am looking for one.
    I don't like the digital mouth one we have, it always says the same number so I think it is defective.:crazy3

6. HavaDrPepper

Well even a defective thermometer is better than the one I had since I had none!

I also have a forehead thermometer on order but not sure how it will work trying to use it on myself. So that's why I also ordered the oral thermometer. At least you don't have to hold them in your mouth as long as the old time mercury ones.

jenn mccabe and AJK like this.
  7. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

I would love to find rubbing alcohol! lol

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I finally found Mod Podge. Michael's got a supply in. I ordered online and went over and they brought it out to my car. I guess the shortage was because everybody was home and doing art projects. Amazon was even sold out.

9. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Yes, everything you'd use for sewing masks is impossible to find! After stalking JoAnn and Walmart for a while for elastic and fat quarters I finally gave up and ordered everything from sellers on Etsy. My new fabrics are in the wash right now, and I'm hoping to cut out pattern pieces for a few tomorrow. (Don't tell DH, but I may have bought more fabric than I really need for masks...haven't decided what to use it all for yet, but I loved it too much not to add it to my order!)

10. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh my goodness ... so funny! And I totally forgot about that song! :) My kids had those expandable skates when they were little - but in plastic not metal.

There were a few sites that we shopped around at online. So much to chose from ... now you're lucky to find one skate available to ship in your size. It's crazy.