Rookie Hybrid Question

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by ashleywb, May 8, 2020.

1. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Hey! I have decided to do a hybrid album for our anniversary trip and will be printing some of the photos at home. I add a stroke to most of my photos but when I print it will be hard to tell where the border of the photo begins against the white photo paper.

My question is how do you print photos with a stroke so that you will know where to cut when you cut them out? The only thing I can think is to draw some cut line indicators at the corners in photoshop.

Thanks for the help!

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I usually use my Silhouette to cut everything out these days to avoid having to add lines like you're needing... but for something like photos that are easy squares to cut, I have added a very faint light grey line just outside of where I want to cut and just make sure to cute all of it off. Or you could do hashmarks at the corners slightly larger than the edge you want to cut, again to make sure you cut it all off. OR you could mat them with white paper to get your white border?

ashleywb likes this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I would say indicators could work, but reality is get yourself a cut paper cutter. Just make the frame 1/4 inch or something easy you can measure and cut.

ashleywb likes this.
  4. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I do have a fiskars paper cutter so if my indicators don't work maybe I will just go that route.

I have a Silhouette portrait but I've never used it to cut out photos - just supplies. Funny, I've mainly used it for the girls' school projects and not for scrapbooking since I scrap mostly digital. I really need to make better use of that thing!

5. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I just hate when I can still see the indicators after I cut, that's why I stopped using them... then you cut a tiny more and then they are not equal on all sides. LOL!!

ashleywb likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@ashleywb I know exactly what you mean! I've messed things up too. I started doing what Karen @Karen mentioned. I put a very fine light stroke around the outside. Also, when I'm making a card (for instance), I'll make the background very pale pink, beige, etc. anything but white. That way, I can see where to cut. I have the best cutter in the world - an old time Boston Cutter and can't use anything else. Hope this helps.

ashleywb and Karen like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

You wanna hear something really funny? At lunch today I had to print out a recipe card for homemade baby wipes that I'm putting together for a baby shower gift... and I had a card with a white background and had to put a light grey stroke around it. :giggle What are the odds that I'd have to do that today after just saying this morning that I rarely do this. Ha ha!

Sokee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Thanks, @Cherylndesigns, I did try the light stroke method today and it worked well!

@Karen Ha! That's great. Glad I could remind you of this rarely used method. :giggle

Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  9. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

When I print out greeting cards that have a white background to them... I add a 2 pixel light grey outside stroke to them so then I can easily trim them with my paper trimmer.

Karen likes this.
  10. esahin

esahin Elif Sahin

I also add gray stoke around anything white to cut easily when printed. Here's a tutorial on my Instagram stories on how you can add stroke in Photoshop. You need to go through the stories to find the that says "how to add strokes.." unfortunately Instagram doesn't allow me to give a direct link.

Karen likes this.