How many times for a kit?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by gracielou, Apr 30, 2020.

1. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I am guilty of using a kit only once then for the most part never touching it again. I mean let’s face it the designers crank out amazing new kits every week so I’m always tempted with something new. Last week I purchased Amy Wolff’s “Brother’s” kit and after I made my first page with it I immediately thought of a second one I wanted to do with it and then I thought I would challenge myself to see if I could make a 3rd page work. I have to be honest that it was so much fun challenging myself to that 3rd page and I even love how it turned out so much more girly than the first 2 that I used it for with my boys.
    Soooo... that got me thinking that I might start challenging myself more to try and get at least 2 pages done with a kit more often.
    Do you scrap more than once with a kit? What’s the most pages you have ever done with 1 kit?

2. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm not really a kit scrapper (I mix and match), so it is hard to say how many pages I've made with a kit. I use Paula Kesselring's CU/PU Basic White Papers on almost half my pages, and I use the white paper from Soco's Dear Dad kit on the other half! I also re-use Allison Pennington's Subfloors Vol 1 and 2 over and over. I also use Amy Wolff's Mega Solids Paper Packs (vol 1 - 5) over and over. I go in waves where I will use pieces from a kit in a few pages, like Sahlin Studio's Enjoy the Moment Kit (mainly the fabulous papers) on about 3 pages that I've done recently.

gracielou likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yes, I use kits multiple times. I use them to tie events together most often. Years ago when I did an album for a cruise, I used certain kits to tie all pages together for each port stop we made. I did the same thing with a trip to Disney a few years back. Each area in a park used the same kit. Other times the colors are the reason the kit is used multiple times.

I usually scrap by event which is why it works so well for me.

gracielou likes this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am a very prolific scrapper, doing 30 plus pages a month. I can do 6 pages all with the same kit!
    I have a few that have items I find myself returning too, cause I know it will work.
    I am a recolorer of elements too, to make them fit to my photos!
    That being said, I have so many beautiful kits, I have used once...and
    truth...
    some I got, and
    never played with at all!

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I would love to know the answer to this question. I like my facing pages to coordinate or even match, so often I will use the same kit for 2 pages. I tend to use just 1 kit at a time unless it is missing stuff I really want.

And yes, I have kits I have never used -- sigh...

Lisa B and gracielou like this.
  6. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have favourites. There are some I've used for over 20 pages. I have some that I mix and match with other kits and those have probably been mixed and matched more that 20 times too. But then I have some kits in my collection I've not used yet (shhhhhh.)

Lisa B, gracielou and jesskab like this.
  7. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I re-use kits often, especially Just Jaimee & Bella Gypsy. And templates are limitless! It's funny you mentioned Amy Wolff. She has a kit that's red, white, & black. I have used that too many times to count. It's my go-to red kit.

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'll be honest - I was a one-kit scrapper with no mix and matching and only used a kit once. And I will still use one kit for a layout. I think that was primarily because I was doing a LOT of CT scrapping, so I was needing to show off a product. And then I had to move on to the next product, so I often didn't go back and reuse a product. It wasn't a hardship. LOL

Now that I've been at TLP as a designer and a scrapper, I find myself mixing and matching quite a bit. I really feel like the products here work incredibly well together and make some unique pages. :)

Here are some recent layouts where I mixed and matched!

This one uses SIX different products by Pink Reptile Designs - and they are kits I have used more than once:

[​IMG]

This one uses FIVE different products from Bella Gypsy, Kristin Aagard, Sahlin Studio, and Mommyish.

[​IMG]

This one uses over FIFTEEN different products, and again, products I've used more than once.

[​IMG]

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I always scrap multiple times with kits!

I'm also not a kit scrapper. Instead, when I make a page, I scroll through or search my files and pick from multiple kits.
    I don't have much money to spend on digiscrapping, and plus I've been collecting stuff for many years, so it's easy to reuse.

If you look through my gallery there's a good chance you'll see items repeated.

gracielou likes this.
  10. gracielou

I, too, have quite a few I’ve never even touched yet. I am quite the hoarder of beautiful kits. I always think that there may come a time I will need that certain kit so I go ahead and pick it up. I might be able to scrap for several months just on kits I’ve never used . Of course, that’s not going to stop me from buying new ones.

Lisa B likes this.
  11. gracielou

I may need to check that one out!

12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Couldn’t have said it any better myself

michelepixels and gracielou like this.
  13. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

That would be a good challenge....I bet I’d last months if not years on what I have

gracielou likes this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have kits that I haven't used as well. I buy them knowing that I don't have a use for them now but may in the future. I have gone back to some of my older kits that haven't been used when scrapping these last few months. During the eclipse a couple years ago, I bought kits even though I didn't have photos but in the future (2024) I will be in the 100% totality of the next one. I'm ready to go!

I am also trying to think outside the box about my kits as well. Using a themed kit for a page that has nothing to do with the theme has been fun. Using a workout kit for wedding pages was fun to do... only kit with the exact colors I needed! Thankfully the same designer did have a wedding kit I could pull neutral colored elements from.

gracielou likes this.
  15. gracielou

That was part of what I challenged myself with when I was making the 3rd layout from Amy’s “Brothers” kit. I had just finished making 2 boy pages and I wanted to make a girly page with it and something totally unrelated to brothers or siblings. It was so fun!

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

There are definitely kits that I use over and over... for instance, when my kids were both playing soccer, I used every soccer kit out there at least 5 times each. :giggle Same with any kit to do with reading. I use those all the time. And travel kits... use those a lot too! Then there are some that I get for a really specific layout and I only use them once.

[​IMG]

gracielou likes this.
  17. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

I kissed the frog!

18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I usually have a few favorites that I go back to. The longer I'm at TLP the more I tend to mix and match. I have my favorite "go-to" designers for certain things. I also have my favorite "go-to" kits when I can't seem to find anything to work with what I'm doing.

gracielou likes this.
  19. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Usually just once for me.

[​IMG]

20. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Watch for some "Stretching Your Stash" challenges coming from Lynn Grieveson's team in the next few months. Dates not yet established.