Hand Pies|Pad Patter 4.8

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Apr 8, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, in times of trouble and uncertainty, apparently you can always depend on me for food talk!!:giggle It's national empanada day today.
    Empanadas - My favorite is an apple pie version that is a pocketful of handheld deliciousness!

[​IMG]

MMMM!
    So, in honor of Empanada Day, and because I love new to me recipes and discovering food culture in other countries....
    Do you eat empanadas? Or do you have another version of the handpie that you make? I'm pretty sure every country does! Although, sometimes I think that America's version is the poptart. :giggle
    [​IMG]

So, if you don't eat handpies, do you like poptarts?

Iowan likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Pop tarts.... chocolate cookie dough is my preference. In a pinch, strawberry with frosting. Used to eat them on morning break at work.

And, no, I don't toast them. Straight out of the box for me.

bestcee and AJK like this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I’ve never had a poptart! I will have to give them a try.
    I make little peach turnovers that look a lot like your peach empanadas in the photo.
    When our local farmers market is open, a vendor sells wonderful empanadas.

bestcee likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

My kids dont like pop tarts! I think something is wrong with them! Lol!

I love all sorts of pies- any shape size or flavor!

Mmmm.... pie... lol

bestcee likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I absolutely adore empanadas! And I like Pop Tarts as well, but I've given them up because they are so so bad nutrition-wise. My favorite is Brown Sugar Cinnamon and I really don't much like the fruity ones at all.

bestcee likes this.
  6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Oh, I grew up on Poptarts. Can't believe I used to eat them as a normal breakfast. Are they supposed to be breakfast food? I haven't had one in years, but frosted cherry was always my favorite. Warm from the toaster was best, but straight out of the box was fine too. The wild berry is way too sweet for me. I'm intrigued by the new pretzel flavors, but haven't tried them.

I don't know if I've ever had true empanadas, but the photo reminds me of the McDonald's hot apple pies. Haven't had one of those in a long time either!

7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I used to love Pop Tarts! Toasted or un-toasted. All my kids and GK's love them.

bestcee likes this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Don't! awful...but we are many and varied!

bestcee likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I do have a library cookbook on indefinite residence in my house now that I really should try out. She's a local author and I suspect my dh would like something like this Pie Squared. (surprised me it's only $2.99 Kindle now!)

6193VCv7d7L-3.jpg

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I’m not sure I’ve had very many official empanadas but I’ve had a few hand held fruit pies over the years. I think I even made them myself once or twice.
    I ate Pop Tarts occasionally as a teenager. Then when I had little kids I bought a healthier brand of toaster pastries. I think it was maybe Nature’s Path. I loved the fruit or cinnamon ones. My kids loved chocolate. I haven’t bought them in a few years except once or twice for my son who is currently 13 and always hungry.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

Mmm! peach ones sound fabulous too!

12. bestcee

I've never had that flavor!

I don't like them. I try them every time, but always think blech. Now my kid, he only gets them at Nana's house now!

Mmm! I love a good beef and cheese one.

I have a few of these! I kinda wish I'd known, there's a few others I would have checked out!

amien1 likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't think I've had a traditional empanda (savory), but my mom makes apple and peach pies that are delish. I am a fan of the hot apple pie from Checkers. It's coated with sugar and cinnamon and is so hot and flavorful. I don't care for McDonald's hot apple pie anymore, but it used to be more like the one they have at Checkers. As far as PopTarts go, we usually have at least one or two boxes here. My fave is the raspberry because it's not too sweet and makes for a good sweet treat if you pop it in the toaster oven.

14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Mmmm, empanadas!

Honestly, I love pop tarts but I don't eat them. I grew up eating them for breakfast. My favorite was the cinnamon one. I also like raspberry. They definitely need to be toasted! For a special treat, I'll buy them for my kids (usually on vacation)...and I might eat one for a snack. ;)

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

16. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Lisa B likes this.
  17. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

Empanadas, yes! Especially the savory or sweet, both are so good! I like that the gluten-free version is just as tasty too. Not a fan of PopTarts. I don't care for the texture and they're too sweet. I would take a Hostess cherry or lemon pie over a PopTart. I think I liked the amount of fruit/filling to crust more with the Hostess pies.

cfile likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yum! That apple version looks fabulous! Peach sounds really good too. :giggle

My hubby is the pop tart eater of our house. He has them for breakfast of the weekends and looks forward to it all week I think. Lol.

19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Pop Tarts
    [​IMG] were a rare treat growing up. We had to follow State guidelines for menus at the Children's Home, so they were sorta snuck in now and then. Probably ate most of them when I was Junior/Senior in High School ( why do we call it "High" school? Oh, wait! yeah, I know...duh! 534075.png ) I don't think I've had a good version of an authentic empanada. Living in Mexico one would think I had, but the one I tried was very dry and the dough kinda tasted like powder. Depends upon the cook, I guess. BUT, when family went camping we made those campfire pies- Oooooohhhh!!!!!! Loved them!
    [​IMG]
    Apple or berry (not cherry) were my favorites.

20. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

not heard of these before.

We have a traditional hand held pie called a Cornish Pasty it contains meat, veg and potatoes.