Checking In!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Apr 3, 2020.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

upload_2020-4-3_10-49-5.jpeg

Hello, Everyone!

I've been away from my computer for what seems like ages. We've finally hit the end of the interior renovations of our house and are now trying to get everything put together again. It took over a week to get my computer area set up! But, I'm back.

I'm not sure how much scrapping I'll be doing because I've been making masks for the medical professionals and others here in the DMV (District/Maryland/Virginia) who are in dire need of them. I've been sewing, providing fabric from my hoard(!) and cutting masks for others to sew. Our group (https://millionmaskchallenge.com/, https://www.facebook.com/groups/millionmaskchallenge/) has about 2,500 "craftivists" making them, and we can't keep up with the demand. I have been happy to part with the over-abundance of quilting cottons that I haven't used for years.

I hope you all are hanging in there and staying safe. I'll be popping in and out when I can.

Love to you all! :bk

2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Good to see you here, Jan! So cool that you were able to jump into this project! What a great way to help!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

That's amazing that you are able to help during this difficult time!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

That's so awesome Jan!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I haven't sewn in decades though I have a machine and hope to find some of my old fabric to give to a sewing maven friend of mine. Were you closer, you'd get it all.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oh how wonderful!! It's so good to see you and hear about the amazing things you are doing!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Glad u checked in Jan & can put your sewing skills to good use, I'm guessing you won't be seeing skating comp costumes for a while

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So grateful to you and others who are making masks. @Lena Gardner 's daughter is making masks as well. I don't have a machine nor skills to do it, so it's good to personally know others who are helping with the effort to keep our medical community safe.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That is so cool Jan! What a wonderful thing to do with your fabric stash!

I made a few masks myself this weekend now that they are saying we should be wearing them out in public. I was fortunate to have a little bit of elastic to use too. Mine aren't great, but they are better than nothing! I had some scraps of fabric from making some journal covers awhile ago, so I had some really pretty and brightly colored fabric. I showed my hubby his choices for his mask and he looked horrified at first. :giggle He was like "don't you have anything a little more manly... like camo?" :rofl I did find some mostly solid blue batik that he finally chose.

KarenB and QuiltyMom like this.
  10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Great to see you back at your computer! Thanks for all that you are doing to help this fight.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

So glad to hear all is well, Jan! You are wonderful to share your time, expertise and especially, your hoarded fabric! :giggle

I'm here... struggling a bit, but positive as always. The situation has me spinning a little up here.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

Nope. All ice rinks are closed, but DD isn’t skating anymore since she got to college.
    That’s so funny!!! And yay on your mask making. I’m now sewing up a bunch for a police force and they requested black or dark navy blue with a dark print/other solid color inside. I only had enough to make 20 for everything else is bright colors and fun prints!

Glad to hear you’re doing ok. We don’t go to Vermont anymore since my in-laws sold their house, so I can’t wave to you anymore! After we’re all released from house arrest I’m planning a trip to Maine. Maybe we can get together on the way up or down!?

Karen and bellbird like this.
  13. QuiltyMom

:byayI’m still sewing masks. Every time I think I’ll have a break to scrap I need to make some more. I’m up to 345 now. I’m making these things in my sleep! But the requests are down from almost 100,000 a week ago to 25,000 two days ago. We’re making progress! But I can’t wait to take a break and play at iNSD!! I’ve missed everyone!:circles:stash

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

That's amazing!!! I'm so impressed!

I hope you can sneak away from iNSD fun! It'll be a much deserved reward!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Wow! I have a couple of friends that have gone into total face mask making mode. I have made 5 caps and 5 masks that I sent off to my niece who is a health care worker. I also made 4 masks for us and 2 for friends. I am now out of fabric. But that is okay, as I found out that even though most things no longer trigger a concussion headache, sewing does. So I can only sew about a hour at a time.

So glad there are others that can do it!

p.s. We should have a challenge in May to scrap a page of us (or a dear one) in a mask. I have seen several layouts like that in the gallery already.

QuiltyMom and KarenB like this.
  16. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I am in awe of you! what an amazing thing to be doing :beat I sometimes feel bad that I am not doing anything to help. But actually, I am staying home and not complaining. I feel like all the time people are dying from this awful virus, I'm more than happy to do my bit and stay put for a while ...and that's helping right?
    Good to see you here, and keep doing what you're doing :love

QuiltyMom likes this.
  17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Yes, please! I would enjoy that a lot! :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  18. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

What an awesome way to help! Enjoy iNSD!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

345 - wow, good for you Jan for doing something so worthwhile! I hope you can find some time to sneak in a little scrapping. :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

What a great way to help out!!

QuiltyMom likes this.