Inevitable Internet Outage

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Kat, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I've been waiting for the internet to crash. Today it's out (Dallas area)... oh, there went the At&t van down my street. That's a good sign. Thankfully cell service is up so I switched to my hotspot.

We have had a lot more trouble lately but I've been really happy overall. My husband struggles with his connection when working from home (part time) but his machine/programs is heavy usage.

Fingers crossed for a short outage. Anyone else having issues with so many more people home and using internet? I was sure the system couldn't handle everyone working from home and all the kids streaming.

2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

My downloads took longer than usual today. Good luck with your internet!

Kat likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Hope your internet is back asap! We had at&t when we lived in Texas and I only have good things to say about them.

As for me: I am currently worried about an actual power outage. We tend to lose power easily, which baffles me becausewhere I grew up in Michigan we lost power once, maybe twice, and that was because of a huge storm with insane winds. Here, I feel like you look cross-eyed at the power lines and we lose power!

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

If the internet goes out we'll have rioting in the streets! :furious
    They better ramp it up for the survival of humankind. I don't think we can handle much more than we already are. :giggle

bestcee, Kat and Cherylndesigns like this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You got that right! Honestly, I've been waiting on that, too. We've had some downtime, which we normally don't have. We have one doing homeschooling on line here, my dd legitimately works from home and I'd be one of the first ones rioting!

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have cable through a local cable/internet/phone company. They respond to outages very quickly which makes me very happy.

7. Kat

I've been told we have rolling blackouts in the summer due to the electricity services being overtaxed. We have never really had to deal with it in our area (an hour north of DFW) but I am worried about this becoming an issue this year. We are already getting temps in the 80s and had one day it was 90. The ACs will come on more since people are home and tax that system as well. If we lose power for long enough, we might lose the foods we've stored in the freezer which is my biggest worry aside from the heat. Today it's a nice day though.

Tree City likes this.
  8. Kat

At&t is notorious for their lack of information on an outage so I didn't even bother. We are due to be back up by now but we aren't, which is also usual for them. A friend lives on the other side of our very large neighborhood and said hers is up so it must not be a large outage or if it is, it goes the other direction down the highway.

9. Kat

My husband will have to go to the office if it's not up tomorrow. He is trying to stay home as often as possible but he's at work today and was yesterday too. He has to have internet to connect to his team. :/ Fingers crossed.

AJK and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We just switched from satellite to fibre optic today at the cabin! I can't believe the difference! We have been losing our connection regularly or else it slowed to a snails pace. So far this is amazing in comparison!

Tree City likes this.
  11. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

Our internet went out on Sunday but it was just our house. Something went wrong with the line from the cable service box to the house. They laid a temporary line for us until they can get a contractor to come fix it. My youngest was the only one in agony. :lol This was literally her --> :imok The rest of us have our phones.

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've been saying since the beginning of this that we'll all be fine as long as we have power and internet... if either of those goes out... it will be anarchy! :giggle

bestcee and Kat like this.
  13. Kat

I was so afraid it was just us. Then when it didn't come back on, I just had no idea. I ran the troubleshooting again about 7 something and it said the lines were good and I'm like well ours isn't, crap. But I did another restart and thankfully it was back up.

14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Spectrum here went out last night around midnight. Still out.... We are currently using hotspots via our phones. They are doing "maintenance" they say...

15. Kat

Ugh! Sorry. They chose a bad time for maintenance. I bet they have an issue and don't want to admit it. Something broke.

bestcee likes this.
  16. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

I just can’t enter at TLP today or yesterday ( in fact since Sunday).
    I don’t know if it’s an outsiders problem or due the high amount of people connecting at the same time due the quarantine...
    I was so crazy trying to fix this with the computer guy here at my home that totally forgot that My iPhone was working and I could’ve entered with it!
    We tried to fix the connection issues and photoshop issues - yes I can’t enter at TLP, Dropbox, Mailchimp, adobe and many other American sites, and can’t enter on my adobe programs like PS or illustrator because I can’t connect to adobe creative cloud too...

Anyone outside USA is having issues to enter at TLP too?

I was thinking about some kind of conspiracy theory....LOL

CAN YOU IMAGINE WE WITHOUT TLP, INTERNET and confined inside home due to the coronavirus outbreak???

93DD9396-CB41-4678-9FA5-B62AF9B70080.gif

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Deep freezer or fridge freezer? I have a heavy blanket that I'll move near the deep freezer when we get warmer. That way if the power goes out, I cover the deep freezer to help insulate it.

18. Kat

fridge freezer. I wanted to buy an extra but my husband doesn't but they are all sold out anyway. :/

bestcee likes this.
  19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

So far so good here in Northern VA. We have Cox at the office and Verizon FiOS at home.

My 14 y.o. grandson has been online playing video games 12+ hours a day since March 13th when our schools closed and I "grounded" him to the house/yard. I'm still waiting for his distance learning to start ... no promised packet/s in the mail, no info on Blackboard, nothing on Google Classroom. Next week is Spring Break ... no school even though the kids will have been out for three weeks.

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I couldn't get into TLP last night either although our internet was working.

This weekend our internet was so bad (it's not usually that great anyway!). I couldn't upload my new products.

We have noticed that it is slower than normal...soooo many more people on. My hubby is hoping this will make a push for better internet coverage...especially in rural areas. So many school kids in our area can't do the on-line schooling.