Quarentine - Here are some tips to help pass the time!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by paula kesselring, Mar 23, 2020.

1. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

I was reading several posts talking about how you are doing and how difficult this moment is being and I can relate to you all...

At the 1st days I literally freaked out! Had panic attack, had hyperventilation every time I thought I had the covid and not a normal flu, but it didn’t lead me to anything but despair, so I decided to relax, pray and stay positive, so the panic wouldn’t control me at all!

I'm working a lot to occupy my head, taking the opportunity to make order around the house and watching films that before I had no time to see!

Scrap Therapy -try to scrap about this, it's an excellent therapy!

So here are some tips to help pass the time and have fun!!!

:heartslubFEEL FREE TO ADD MORE TIPS TO THIS THREAD!!!!! :heartslub

-Many sites and apps are offering free courses and classes! Take advantage of it!

Udemy/Domestika/ is also offering dozens of free courses for the quarantine period, in the areas of Communication, Business, Programming, Marketing, Behavior, Sales, among others. To find the options, just search, open the search filters and select the option “Free”.

-Many parents are seeking out online resources, apps and games to keep their kids' minds engaged at home.

Learn how to doodle

Children’s author Mo Willems is live-streaming a doodle tutorial each weekday during the coronavirus outbreak. You can watch the doodle tutorials live at 1 p.m. ET on the Kennedy Center website.

Virtual story time

Penguin Random House Canada is offering free access to virtual story time and sing-alongs for kids. The sing-alongs are on YouTube while the readings usually take place on Facebook Live and Instagram Live. Most are for young children. Times vary.

Mo Willems, the Brooklyn-based artist and author of much-loved stories like Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, Knuffle Bunny, and all the adventures of Elephant and Piggie is teaching a lunchtime art class on YouTube.

Want to hear Viola Davis read Rent Party Jazz? What about Mary Steenburgen's rendition of Strega Nona? Storyline Online, a program supported by the SAG-AFTRA Foundation features free videos of celebrities reading beloved children's stories. For each book Storyline also includes a teacher's guide to further learning.

And Oliver Jeffers, the artist behind popular books like The Day the Crayons Quit and The Great Paper Caper is also reading his works on Instagram Live.

Sesame Street
    It's a classic for a reason. If your kids are still enamored of Elmo, Grover, and the rest of the Sesame Street crew, you should feel no reluctance about cueing up an episode or two. Several full shows are currently available on the PBS Kids website, and more clips are streaming on the official Sesame Street website, and on YouTube.

If your youngster is more of a Daniel Tiger kind of kid, episodes of his adventures are also available online.

Take a tour of an art museum online.
    Cultural institutions from art museums to symphonies, and theaters around the world are shutting down to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and taking their art online.

Here's an updated list of all the artistic experiences you and your kids can take in from the comfort of your couch.

-Fitness companies are offering free online workouts during coronavirus quarantine:
    The Daily Burn,Peloton, Core Power Yoga- The studio has put together a collection of free classes available anytime, on demand here. Classes vary in length.
    305 Fitness Known for making cardio a raging dance party, 305 Fitness has about 20 free classes on its YouTube channel while its studios are closed.
    YouTuber Yoga with Adriene has a few videos like the one below, for yogis of all ages.

-Have you ever wanted to say you’ve taken an Ivy League course?

All eight of the schools making up the prestigious Ivy League – Harvard, Yale, Princeton , Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Brown, Dartmouth and Columbia -- offer online classes to the public for free.
    The offerings include courses in computer science, mathematics, business, education, humanities, art & design, engineering and more.

-Shudder

To watch some non-coronavirus horror, check out Shudder. The horror-movie streaming service has extended its free trial period to 30 days. Use the code SHUTIN.

I hope this list cheer you up and make you feel calmer!!!

:bk

LilachOren and mary kate like this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

paula kesselring likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Here is mine --- take a long hot bubble bath -- yes, get out the bubbles, pour your favorite glass of indulgent beverage, grab a book, magazine, or a podcast (just don't drop the phone in the tub), and relax... Like where else are you going to go? Soft music and yummy smells in the diffuser are optional.

I usually do this once a week -- my excuse is I use a weekly hair conditioner that has to sit 10 minutes -- but I am thinking a few more times a week would also work right now. Sure beats stress eating...

paula kesselring and mary kate like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Thank you all so much for all the links! I am definitely going to be checking them out and I'd love to share some of them with my students in our Google Classroom!

6. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We just subscribed to The Great Courses Plus - they have a free trial period. But I think we'll actually use it for at least 3 months.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We are all eating a lot of cookies these days in our house. :giggle NOT the healthiest, but when my 15 YO son came out of his room on Saturday and made the best chocolate chip cookies ever, and all on his own, it made me happy. We are also watching The Office together on Netflix in the evenings and laughing and completely inappropriate jokes together and forgetting the world around us for a bit. :agree

8. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Other FREE sessions:

upload_2020-3-24_12-40-29.png

Karen likes this.
  9. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

Amazon here in Brazil is offering a lot of free ebooks, if you have kindle...I think you should check in your own Amazon how it is!

paula kesselring and Karen like this.
  10. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

These are ALL great ideas. I am re-taking scrapbook classes that I took 5 to 7 years ago. I have forgotten lots of great stuff. And I have finished one book for my grandson which will go off to Shutterfly today. Lots of scrapping going on here

11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

From your local US library - not every one is available everywhere

RB Digital audio books, books, magazines

Kanopy great selection of movies, documentaries etc. Lots of the old classics so I can indulge my love of Italian films

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have been watching Kathryn since she launched her YouTube Channel, Do It On A Dime. She has great cleaning motivation videos, and decorating tips on a budget. She's super encouraging, and her video posted today was really good so I thought I would share:

13. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I watch her too... love her positivity and great ideas.

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

oh how I WISH that cleaning was something that brought me joy or that I was doing to pass the time! :rofl Thankfully my hubby has picked up the cleaning bug lately and is going crazy cleaning things that don't even need to be cleaned! Lol!

15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Asher (my grandson, 3rd grade) starts homeschooling on Monday, so I spent most of day yesterday cleaning my scraproom/office (which it needed anyway). I've been working on some projects, so I finished them up and have everything ready for him to start next week.

I'm sharing my scraproom/office with him, so we brought a table up for him and have his laptop all set up ready for him to start on Monday. It will be interesting having him in here with me and for me to be helping him. We have to all pitch in now and do what we need to do. His dad came over last night and we ALL sat around the table and explained to Asher what was going to happen and that we all needed his cooperation.

16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@Scrapping with Liz Ooooooo! I've been eyeing that for quite awhile! I love learning. OK, no time like the present!
    Here's my take on the situation for today, with hubster home at least til May 1:
    [​IMG]

17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

18. Cherylndesigns

I took a stab at learning Cherokee - wow!

19. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@Cherylndesigns REALLY?!! That's cool . DH has been studying for about 3 years. His grandmother was full Eastern band Cherokee- the ones who hid and didn't relocate. Let us know how it goes!!
    ME? I've been art journaling (paper) up a storm!!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

How fascinating! It's truly a small world. I'd just like to be able to read and understand it.

AJK likes this.