Technique Slow Scrap | Saturday MAR 28 @11am EST/8am PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Mar 28, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Layer Styles 2 | Separating and manipulating layer styles

At a chat a couple of months ago, I asked what sort of techniques would you like to see. There was a huge excitement at the suggestion of Styles....so I am going to do a series of lessons on using layer styles, starting from the basics and moving each lesson to more challenging uses.

The first lesson: Layer Styles 1 | Introduction to layer style basics

Everyone is always talking about warping the shadows and other manipulations to layer styles, so today, we are going to learn how to separate the layer styles into their own layers for individualized layer manipulations.

In the previous lesson, I created a style for you that combines a stroke with a drop shadow. You can DOWNLOAD HERE

For this tutorial, I'm using the same style that I used in the first lesson, but feel free to use any of the layer styles you regularly use.

1. Create a shape and apply a layer style:
    I created a plain square and clicked on the TLP style freebie, which gives me a drop shadow and an inner stroke.
    [​IMG]

2. Separate the layer styles into their own layers
    To separate the layers, right click on the layer of your shape and near the bottom, you will see where it says "create layers". Click on Create Layers.

[​IMG]

You can see the resulting layers in the image below. There is the layer for the shape, a separate layer for the shadow, and a separate layer for the stroke.
    [​IMG]

3. Warp the shadow layer style
    In order to create a more realistic shadow or even one that stands out a bit more, I'm going to warp the shadow layer. Make sure you are on the shadow layer and then go to edit -> Transform -> Warp
    [​IMG]

Clicking on the warp transformation tool will give you a box with points that you can drag in any desired direction. I'm just going to drag the bottom left corner out a bit.
    [​IMG]

4. Manipulating the stroke layer style
    The stroke is still clipped to the shape, which is fine, if you want to leave it that way, but I'm going to use the stroke to create a frame, so I am going to "release clipping mask"
    [​IMG]

Now that the stroke layer is on it's own, it's now a frame. I'm going to rotate the frame.
    [​IMG]

To make the stroke layer stand out a bit more, I can now apply another layer style to just the frame. I'll add a drop shadow.
    [​IMG]

I put in a photo and a background paper and I'm all set to continue adding elements to create a LO I love
    [​IMG]

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

*You MUST include a photo or element in which you separate and manipulate at least ONE of the LAYER STYLES.*

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due Sunday, March 29, 2019 at 1:00pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Vrielinkie and Ferdy like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the chat and your help putting this page together
    [​IMG]

Lisa B likes this.
  3. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Ha, I was so going to be there but we had scheduled a lunch with friends through Skype at 12 o'clock and it was so much fun we didn't finish eating, talking, drinking coffee and playing games until half past 4....whoops! But it was awesome. Will try to scrap tonight or tomorrow!

michele hillam and Lisa B like this.
  4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the tutorial Farrah

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  5. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is mine. Oh, and @FarrahJobling , when I do a "normal" stroke & shadow and then create layers from them, I do get just a solid box for where my stroke is. But when I used your style: stroke & shadow combined, I had no problem. Sorry about that.

[​IMG]

Lisa B and FarrahJobling like this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Well I had to do a few "work arounds" in PS CS2 but here it is. Not thrilled with my warping but some practice should help. Thanks, Farrah, for the tutorial.

[​IMG]

8. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the technique and chat. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  9. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tutorial !

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  10. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

11. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I missed the chat but made a page. Thanks for the tutorial. I manipulated the shadows on the leaf, bow, some papers and photos, and separated the stroke from the graffiti photo.
    [​IMG]

AJK likes this.
  12. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

13. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I use PSE 2019, but I struggled with separating the layers - the "create layers" option never presented. I was able to separate out the shadow using a slightly different, older technique from Cheryl (@gonewiththewind ) - I never did get the stroke to be a separate layer. Working with the shadows on the photos was interesting, though I think I will need to practice a bit more!.
    Here's my resulting layout.....
    [​IMG]

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Here is mine Farrah! Sorry I missed the chat, but I love that you shared this technique.. I always split my shadows :) Fun time! Thank you!
    [​IMG]

15. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I finally gave up yesterday after not having success in PSCS or PSE2019. Too tired to continue last night

@cfile @mommyish I am working on a Mac with Catalina OS and tried adding the Style given for PS as Ive had no problem with that adding an Action .atn file or a Style .psl file. However, if I need to add the data.xml file I don't know where to put it in Mac Catalina, it's been so long since I needed too and I'm thinking that the location is now in the Hidden Files?

I may try @Joan K 's solution to check @gonewiththewind 's solution but I would like to use the Mommyish Stylin 263 as is.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Unfortunately Maureen I have no clue how PS CC works on a MAC as I use Windows. I do know I read somewhere that people were having issues with the last update due to Catlina OS so you may want to ask on the Adobe site. I wish I could help... Re the hidden files - I have had issues too and no idea where the hiddens are.. these recent updates have given me issues.. I have lost styles and brushes and have had to re do plus my mask icon keeps sticking as does my add a new layer at times so I have had to do things the long way... I am hopng adobe fixes these glitches. Sorry I could not help further.

18. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Whew just made it, didn't have time to fiddle with the shadow on the ribbon properly, but I loved the style manipulation !
    [​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  20. Sharon-Dewi

Sharon-Dewi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great challenge!
    Here is my layout:

[​IMG]

flowersgal and fruitysuet like this.