What's lockdown like where you are?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LynnG, Mar 27, 2020.

1. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I am intrigued to see the different takes on it in different countries.

Here in New Zealand we can't visit anyone (for example that includes my eldest daughter:cry ). You can only have contact with those you live with. If you live alone you can nominate one person/couple you can have contact with but you must only be in contact with each other ("be faithful" to each other as our Prime Minister put it :eyeroll) She also coined the phrase "your bubble" which has taken off, so your bubble is the people you are with and you can't go outside that bubble.

No driving outside your neighbourhood, no trips other than to supermarket or pharmacy. No shops open other than some supermarkets, some food stores and the pharmacies. At the moment no online shopping other than for essentials either.

No restaurants, no takeouts, drive throughs or food deliveries.

We are allowed to walk outside in our neighbourhood but must keep six feet between people.

(In my opinion, restrictions this tight are the only way it's going to work to stamp it out here in our isolated country. So far we have a few hundred cases, 99% of which are in people who have returned here from overseas or their close contacts)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Sokee, A-M, mary kate and 3 others like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We are pretty much the same here Lynn... only out for Grocery, pharm and walking outside with distancing... essential employees only working and restaurants are take-out/take away only with curbside pickup. When I went to the pharm today to get my inhalers they asked me if I had been coughing or had a fever, and if I had been outside of my state within the last 14 days or have I come in contact with anyone out of the state in 14 days. Scary times.

I bring sandwhich bags with me to grab carts etc in the stores and door handles and use sanitzer wipes to wipe hands getting in car etc. Thankfully our grocery is having senior hours so one store is Mon/Thurs from 6 to 7 and the other is Tuesdays from 6am to 7 for people 60 and older... Hubby turned 60 in Oct so he is my get in card, so we did that this past week.. We did shopping for 2 weeks plus.. I don't want to have to do that stuff every week! We have enough if we have to spread it longer.

Prayers for all . be safe.

norton94 likes this.
  3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We have been "instructed" to not socialize more than 5 peeps. We can exercise outside, but alone or just a few peeps
    I live in a town with 25 streets, a backyard that is miles deep-big desert of nothing but cactus, mesquite bushes and rocks.
    zero covid here-
    my boys play in desert with other friends, are playing tennis, and riding bikes.
    My daughters came over last night for dinner (one drove 2and 1/2 hours here, just to hug us)...stayed a few hours and then drove back.
    My boys spent the night at my other daughters house....she lives in our town.
    We are doing lots of yard work, and walk to store when weather is good.

Just found out one of our little ponds in the mountain is open, so hubby taking boys fishing tomorrow.

online school is supposed to start on the 6th of April, and I am fighting it!

Karen likes this.
  4. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

oh...I can't even explain the big mess my country is. I just pray that the state government maintains the quarantine, because the president wants to end it to the whole country and everyone go back to "normal life ".
    it's a very controversial topic, so I think I can't say anything good about.
    my mental health can't handle it. I'm scared a lot, there are no tests, no enough hospitals available, well...we can only pray!

Sokee and LynnG like this.
  5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

my house is in full quarantine at the moment, so not experienced the lock down mode yet as that started after our quarantine did.
    I think the lock down rules in the UK are
    • only 1 walk/cycle/run from your house a day as long as there is no contact with anyone else, and only singly or in pairs.
    • no travel unless absolutely necessary
    • work from home unless a key-worker who needs to work away from home
    • no visiting unless you are a designated carer and going to help the person you care for.
    • only essential shopping - 2m distance between persons. Only single persons shopping. Don't know how that works when you've got children who need to come with you.
    • non-essential retail, services and businesses are closed.

LynnG likes this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Well over a week before any of this began I had a really bad cold and stayed home for a week. Just as I started feeling better quarantine came into effect. We can grocery shop, go to the pharmacy and go for a walk but maintain physical distancing of 2 metres. When my son in law was due to come home from working in the US, we decided to move up to the cabin so mum wouldn’t be on her own for two weeks and we wouldn’t need to self isolate. Currently, we are at our cabin with my 86 year old mum. We drove here from home without stopping anywhere along the way and have now been here for a week and will be here another week until dd, sil and granddaughter have finished their self isolation period. At that point, I’m not sure what’s going to happen! One day at a time though, staying positive and getting the spring cleaning done!

LynnG likes this.
  7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Our state's shelter-in-place order means we are required to stay at home unless we are doing essential tasks (getting food or healthcare mostly) or are an essential worker. As far as I know, the only places open are restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, and doctors' offices. All schools in the state are closed until May 1. All restaurants are limited to carry-out and drive-through only. State and county parks are open and can be visited but all of their bathrooms, drinking fountains, and playgrounds are closed. My immediate family all lives within 15 minutes of me but we are not supposed to visit anyone outside our nuclear family so we will not be able to see them in person until the shelter-in-place is lifted (currently that date is April 7).

LynnG likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

There is no state-wide stay-at-home orders from our Florida governor. **eye roll** Most of the cases are on the eastern seaboard and in southern Florida. We're in Northwest Florida, with only a handful of cases. Restaurants are closed to patrons eating in and can only provide drive up/drive through services. Beaches are closed, as well as parks. Public schools and universities/colleges are closed. Routine medical visits or elective surgeries are canceled and rescheduled to later in the year. In our household, my husband continues to go to work because he's considered essential (at a chemical plant). He is the one that braves the grocery store and pharmacy pick ups. My sister came by yesterday, but maintained the 6 foot distance. Yesterday, I rode with my husband to take groceries to my mom. We did end up hugging briefly and took a selfie together. Last week, my sister-in-law and her hubby came by, but they also kept a 6 foot distance. So without specific orders, most everyone I know is limiting contact even with family members.

LynnG likes this.
  9. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Literally NONE of that permitted under our rules :eek: (other than the walk to the store, but then one person at a time only) Oh, and the yard work LOL!

(Have to add though, living by the desert like that sounds very cool for your boys!):thumbsups and tick-tock till April 6 :circles

xxx

10. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

Our state is supposed to follow social distancing - 6 feet apart. No more than 10 people gathering. Only essential business (ie healthcare, pharmacy, grocery, hardware), but I work in healthcare so I'm still working. All non urgent surgeries are cancelled. Non urgent healthcare is closed (like PT, dermatology etc). No restaurants/bars/bookstores/salons/clothing/malls/furniture stores etc etc. Schools are closed until 4/13 and then the governor will reevaluate. People can exercise outside while maintaining the 6ft rule. Our roads are pretty empty, so I do feel like people are following the advice, which is reassuring.

My daughter is a senior in HS. Prom is cancelled and likely graduation will be too. Just yesterday they announced that all high school students who are dual-enrolled with the community college will return online Monday for classes. Thank goodness, because otherwise they would fail because the community college begins online Monday, but since their actual teacher is through the high school (with college accreditation) they wouldn't have a teacher to administer the online! Our state won't permit K-12 online instruction in lieu of in-person instruction because of equity issues (not everyone can afford internet). Anyway it's a huge relief to my daughter so she can preserve her college credits.

11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

S.C. is similar to Fla. right now.
    • Our Gov. said statewide lock down not under consideration for now. I get it- so many areas are not affected, but that's just the way I see it from where we are.
    • Schools are closed through end of April. Sad for students who are Seniors, and prom and all that. I know they will survive, but it means a lot to them and they miss their friends.
    • Hubster is attempting to teach online- but they had one day's notice to prepare before schools closed. Even tho he teaches at a private school of wealthy "su'therners". most only have cell phones and NO home computers! He's having to try to grade photographed assignments! This is not the most techno-literate area, so it is insane. ha.
    • Gov. gave police force authority to break up people in groups more than 3, with exception of a family together, of course.
    • Stores are open but checkout lines have taped spaces for distancing.
    • Not sure how the clerks are being protected???
    • Restaurants are take out only.
    • Theaters closed of course.
    • Library closed too.
    So this little town I already had bemoaned is even less appealing. Had to go to Florence for groceries- Aldi- cos people here are hoarding like mad.
    Sure would like to make use of this time with our grands.:pray

LynnG likes this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

My state has a "stay at home" order effective 3/23/20. But the governor issued a State of Emergency in the state on 3/9/20. That is when the social distancing requirements and limiting the number of individuals for mass gatherings started to tighten up. A very large gathering normally held the first week of March was cancelled.

Stay at home pretty much means the same as others have said. Grocery shopping, any necessary medical appointments are OK if you are not a worker in an essential business/industry. Restaurants have gone to delivery/take-out menus. Universities were the first to go to online in early March. K-12 schools followed mid-month. At this time they are closed until April 3rd but it will be reevaluated at that time. My best guess is they will not go back after listening to the daily briefings this last week. (Worst is yet to come for my state). My eye doctor closed their office at 1:00 today until further notice even though they are considered an essential service. They will open for a patient in an emergency though.

State parks are open but no services available. Walks/exercise is encouraged with social distancing being a priority.

However, we have some fools in my town that think it is a good thing to invite everyone in town to do a "look for" scavenger hunt in a neighborhood that has no sidewalks/curbs and narrow roads... aka mine. It was crazy yesterday. I saw more people walking in the street and on people's lawns with their small kids and no social distancing was taking place. And the local historical society has decided that a walking tour of downtown would be a good activity for people in the spring days to come. At least no stores (except bars/restaurants with take out food) are open for people to congregate in downtown.

I have not interacted with anyone except those checkout clerks at the grocery store and the clerk at the pharmacy in the last month. The pharmacy is doing all business through their drive thru window and are not even requiring a signature on the prescriptions for the time being! I did talk to my neighbor yesterday for about 10 minutes in my yard. We stood at least 10 feet from each other. I would love to go see my cousin's renovation that was finished 2 weeks ago but I haven't. She lives walking distance from me but we are both in the over 60 range so it is best to avoid each other for the time being. We text to keep in touch. So for me, my internet friends and my dog are my sanity.

LynnG likes this.
  13. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

The situation seems to be similar throughout the world
    - Here in Israel we are forbidden to leave home except to buy groceries and medicines
    - Everyone works from home except essential workers - so my daughter who is a police officer and my son who works in the bakery still go to work every day and it scares me to death
    - Schools are closed to date don't know and my little boy is learning from home over the internet
    - We are allowed to walk up to 100 meters from the house - so we take advantage of the fact that we have a dog and go out to see the outside
    - Do not visit other people's homes, including those of older parents
    - We are before Passover eve where we usually gather for a family meal of at least 30 people at home but this year we will celebrate alone because there is a total ban on large family dinners and everyone stays at his own home - it will be a sad holiday
    - The government has promised that the supermarkets will remain open and that there is food stock and nothing to worry about and until now it really seems there is enough food

But like everyone else, we live in everyday anxiety, some days are more difficult and depressing and there are more optimistic days, watching the news most of the day and still not digesting what is happening in the world - feeling in a Stephen King movie but hoping for the best and trying to stay optimistic and wishing us all in the world only health and most importantly - Stay home! We haven't been out of the house for almost 3 weeks except buying food and a quick walk with the dog

LynnG likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

They JUST issued a "shelter-in-place" for our county this evening. (SW Florida) - it seems to be on a county-to-county basis. There hasn't been any Governor Mandate as far as we know - they're just encouraging people to stay home and only go out for the necessities. Our daughter, who lives with us, is in the medical field, so she has an "essential pass" to go out if it comes down to that.

LynnG likes this.
  15. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I'm in Greece, and I think it's pretty much the same all over the world right now.
    I feel blessed that our government has decided on those restrictions really early, before things got out of control.
    If we leave the house, we have to send an SMS with our name and the reason.

I'm mostly worried about what will happen next, when things will get back to normal. If we see someone in need (like falling on the street), will we help them? Or this social distancing thing is here to stay?

AJK likes this.
  16. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

My husband has been doing the grocery shopping. He takes my collapsible wagon that I bought for hauling paper scrapping supplies to retreats so that he doesn't have to touch a cart. We're stocked up on prescription meds so that's not an issue for now.

I've been out only to go to our municipal building 5 minutes away because we're in early voting for an April 7th election. Our clerk's office is busy dealing with mailing out absentee ballots and election arrangements so I've been working with the people coming in to vote. We're taking LOTS of precautions, but I am dreading election day because we could have lots of people show up to vote & they're not going to be happy when we limit the number of people inside the building to a max of 4 voters at a time.

Sokee and LynnG like this.
  17. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Here in Kentucky we have "safe at home" which is basically shelter at home -- most businesses except for grocery, pharmacy, home repair stores and restaurants are open to curbside or drive thru only. I have heard most restaurants have closed their doors to even walk in and all they will allow is drive thru.

The thing I don't understand is why there was such a rush to hoard the toilet paper. I have not been able to buy toilet paper for about 4 weeks. I finally found some this past thursday when I found out the local store (little local grocery store - no big name) was due to get a delivery truck.

I have been working from home now for 8 days (work days) and found out today that it is for another 3 work weeks but will revisit next week.

We got Cincinnati OH news and I heard today that Ohio does not expect the uptrend to start peaking or going down until mid may so I really wonder if I will not be working from home for awhile. I can work from home with no issues (other than printing something) but I have to say it is exremely isolating and I have discovered that I really like the seeing other people.

I really miss seeing my grandchildren but I know it is for the better. I worry about my daughter who is a radiology technologist at a local hospital. I worry that she may have to do an xray on someone that has the virus and that she will get and take home to the children. I know she worries about it also so I pray for her mental health as well.

Stay Safe everyone.

LynnG likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Very similar to a lot of others here in West Virginia. All businesses are closed except the essentials - grocery, pharmacy, gas stations, there's a list. Restaurants are curbside and delivery only. We are asked to stay home unless we absolutely need to go out and not really visit anyone. I have been babysitting my granddaughter every day because her mom is an EMT and has to work every day. I've had the 2 babies a couple of times because my daughter works for the water company and also considered essential. I've been out to the grocery store a couple of times when we really needed something and we have taken a few drives around town, just to get out of the house. We don't get out of the car, just drive. We live in a subdivision, so we've taken lots of walks. Schools are closed and I am doing what I can to provide instruction to students from home. It's difficult because many of our students don't have internet access.

My biggest issue is making my 82 year old mom stay home. She just won't listen!

LynnG likes this.
  19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Our official "stay-at-home" started last night at 6pm -- and we had 2 visitors today. One was a tenant here to pay his rent - he didn't want to mail it he said. The other was a friend who dropped by with mask and gloves on. I should have asked him to take off the gloves -- who knows where they have been before they came here.

We have been here for two weeks now. We had some family over this past weekend, but will not have anyone else over. I walk the dog every morning. Sometimes I walk again late afternoon or evening without the dog (she does not do cardio). I spent a few hours outside pulling weeds today. We hit up two grocery stores on Wednesday, so I think we are good for a week or more. We used a set of gloves for each store and then threw them away before getting in the car.

As long as we have online access and phones we are good. It is starting to feel more normal -- less anxious and less anticipation. Plus I am reading again - and taking 2 bubble baths a week
    :hammock

LynnG likes this.
  20. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I was going to copy and paste the rules for here in Australia but I think it easier if I just share the link to where you can read it. We are not all in total lock down. My husband and I have decided to stay home as much as we can and am thankful our little country town does have a small supermarket where we intend to do as much of our shopping as we can instead of going to one of the bigger towns.

HERE is the link to the government rules for us to follow.

LynnG likes this.