what are you covid reading?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bellbird, Mar 21, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

is any one finding their reading is being influenced by covid or measures to reduce it?

i've been reading more, finished a dystopia paper book i started ages ago and it was totally great distraction and just escapist (Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen), and although i didn't really think about it but i audio'd Five Feet Apart (by Rachael Lippincott) this week, which i may have subconsciously picked up because of social distancing!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  2. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Five Feet Apart is in my audible-to be read- pile. Lol

I liked all of the Red Queen series! It wasn't my favorite, but it was decent.

I find myself avoiding the middle grades I'm supposed to be reading for "Middle Grade March" and instead went the complete opposite direction, and have been listening to the black dagger brotherhood (adult fantasy romance, borderline smut) books on my audible escape trial. I'd say i was reading a lot, however i actually feel like it will decrease because I normally can listen during the day when my house is quiet/just me... now the whole house is home for a few weeks at least. So... less reading time.

bellbird likes this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Here are a few books I have read during the quarantine.

Astoria by Peter Stark, it was slow at first but I learned a lot about their ordeal.

Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart, interesting and I liked it even more when I found out it was based on a real character

Heirs and Graces by Rhys Bowen fun, pure fluff.

bellbird likes this.
  4. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My daughter finished her GoodReads Challenge for the year and is digging into the challenges for the past five years. She is 11 and just started on GoodReads in January, so it's all new to her.

Personally, I just read Fantastic Mr. Fox for a novel study I am making. My daughter and I are reading Book Scavenger.

bellbird likes this.
  5. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I just finished Becoming which I really enjoyed.
    Also reading The Tiger Claw a WWII novel set in France mostly about a female radio operator with the reisistance

Juliestcyr, bellbird and klee73010 like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm re-reading Outlander again - just a comfort read and like visiting with old friends since I've read the series multiple times.

I have a pile of books from the library to jump into as well, which I'll likely do after I finish the first book of the Outlander series, just to add in something different before starting the next Outlander book.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time reading. I will read a few sentences and then my racing anxious thoughts interrupt my reading. Very irritating, but I try to push through!

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm reading from scratch - a recipe/memoir.
    And the in death series. I like that it's set in the future, but feels believable in the now. Not so sci-fi as detective.

bellbird likes this.
  8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just finished reading our March book club book, What the Wind Knows and I loved it! I have been really struggling to focus on anything this last week, but this book allowed me the escapism I so desperately needed. Funny enough it's a similar plot line to Outlander @gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind and bellbird like this.
  9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I like this idea, it really is comforting and i've been re-listening to The One and Only Ivan at bedtime - it's aimed at kids but is a 'good for any age' story and the narrator is (IMHO) very good, which makes a huge difference with audio

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this sounds totally up my son's alley! he loves puzzles and codes within a story!

11. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I recently borrowed this digitally from our library. I couldn't believe how long the book was, and then it just ended. I didn't know that it was a series until after I finished the first book. Ugh! I'm left hanging, but I really don't like borrowing such long books from the library because I'm stressed to finish them on time. But the cost to buy them all. . .

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I've read a few really great books since we've been home.

Most Likely by Sarah Watson - Maybe YA...the book starts in 2049 as a woman is going to be inaugurated as the first female President in the United States. Then the rest of the book follows four girl friends in their senior year as we try to figure out which one of them is actually going to become that President. Just a really enjoyable read.

Unmarriageable by Soniah Kamal - Pakistani retelling of Pride and Prejudice. Absolutely loved this retelling. Who am I kidding...I love any P&P retelling!

The Salt Road by Jane Johnson - One story of a London tax accountant who finds an amulet and sets out in search of the history of the amulet and how it relates to her. Another story of a desert princess in Morocco/Algeria.

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I decided to read to the Harry Potter series all over again. I read it numerous times between 2007 and 2012, starting with when my oldest was 6 and requested it. I read it aloud every night many nights during those years with all 3 of my children. When I joined Audible a couple of years ago I collected all 7 books, so now I'm listening to it.

I was so bummed when I read my local library system's closure notice. I wished I had though of stocking up on books. Sometimes I do have a stack of several library books, but currently I only have 1. And it's a difficult read. This Life: Secular Faith and Spiritual Freedom by Martin Hagglund. I listened to him being interviewed on The Ezra Klein Show (podcast) a few weeks ago and very much liked what he was saying. But the book is heavy and repetitive. It took me a couple of weeks just to get through the introduction! I'm now at page 52 but haven't picked it up since last Tuesday. I was considering returning it that day, as I nodded off trying to read it, but now I can't because even the library book return boxes are closed, so that gives me more encouragement to keep trying. I'd really like to.

Aside from that, I might find some new books via our library's audio collection. I also have some Kindle books I haven't read and a few other Audible books I could read again. And, I still have a lot of very old books on bookcases in my basement from when I used to buy a lot of paper books in my teens and twenties. Maybe I'll reread all my young self's favorite author Madeleine L'Engle's books.

All this writing makes me feel a scrapbook page coming on. :D

14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Mourning the loss of our spring break trip to Disneyland and reading Walt's Disneyland. I'm having a hard time focusing on anything these days though tbh.

15. Karen

Same. :nod At first I thought this was going to be so awesome to have everything canceled and loads of free time to be creative... yeah.... not happening. Worried more about helping my youngest figure out how to get all his school work done, while still working full time.

16. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I read for a hour yesterday - first time in a long time. I used to be avid reader. Anyway, I decided to re-read the Artemis Fowl series. I know, it is a middle-school age book series, but I really enjoyed it the first time around.

p.s. The movie has been in the works for years. Disney now has the rights. I saw a trailer at Christmas and was excited. My son saw a more recent trailer and said Disney has now changed the story---that makes me sad. So I am reading the books again.

Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

I hate when movies/TV ruin favorite books! My hubby and I watched the Goldfinch this weekend. I loved the book and even read it twice, but I was so scared to watch the movie and hate it. I thought they did it pretty good justice taking into account it was a really long book and they couldn’t include every little detail. Even my hubby liked it.

And speaking of Artemis fowl, my boys and I read several of those books, but I don’t think we finished the series... I might have to pick those up too.

18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I have been reading more this past wk or so. I am almost finished "The First Phone Call From Heaven" and its an easy read, I'm enjoying it.

Karen likes this.
  19. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

So far this week, I've read Verity by Colleen Hoover and Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. Both were excellent!!!!

20. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Tonight I read the SOP for COVID-19 testing on the ABI 7500--one of the EUA tests released by the CDC. Getting competency assessed this weekend. Yep. Many are "stay at home" while for some, our hours at work increased. :yoda

On a not so snarky note, while driving to and fro work I listen to Audible. Recently finished The Things We Cannot Say, Kelly Rimer. Good one. 4 start from me...I am 1/2 Polish and this one made think about what my ancestors went through. I also liked the spin on Autism. This one made me think a little bit deeper on my ancestry and concepts about those on the spectrum.

Before that, The Golem and Jinni, Helen Wecker. Not possible to give a 6 start but I would. Narrated by George Guidall. Was like Grandpa telling me a goodnight story. I like tales woven with magic.

I am currently listening to The Map of Time, Felix Palma. I don't like it. I think I'll return it rather than torture myself with another 16h and 15m.

I appreciate this feed. I will return The Map of Time and get something else. The funny thing, not so funny really, with so many at home, my hour long commute is now only 20 mins. It will take a bit longer to finish those Audible books.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    wvsandy likes this.