Home-schooling questions (or support group!)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Mar 23, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm sure there will be a few of us that need this if not now, then soon, and i'm so glad there are several of you that are experienced in the whole homeschooling process and can laugh at laugh with *support* those of us that are new to having the kid/s learning from home!

Here's my first (somewhat serious) question I'm just asking for a friend but -
    Do you still have to remind strongly suggest *yell* at the kids that it's bedtime (or well past now rather) & that they have to go to bed & go to sleep every night?! :faint2

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

bedtime is always a battle in this house

bellbird likes this.
  3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i should probably clarified that i didn't 'like' that it is a battle for you also but more that it makes me feel better that it's a battle we share even half a world away!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  4. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Bedtime isn't a thing anymore since we've made strict rules about it (and hang on to them) I've explained to them that whole day is for the kids but at night mommy really loves to have a little time for herself, that's only possible if they help me a bit by just listening.

There's one strict rule: if you don't listen or keep walkin around without reason (note: having to pee 100 times is NOT a good reason unless you have a proven infection) next day bedtime is 30 minutes earlier without reading a bedtime story. It works for the little ones.
    It's enough for me to tell them about the rule we've made, I guess it's only 2-3 a year I really have to give them the 'punishment' for not listening.

For the big boys it's a phone blocker (it's an app we can use to lock their phones from distance) if they don't keep their promise about bringing their phone downstairs, we block the phone 30 minutes before 'normal' bedtime.
    I don't mind if it's 5 minutes later, or if they want to watch the last minutes of an episode they're watching, but they have to ask so I know why they are late.

Lisa B, BevG, AJK and 1 other person like this.
  5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@MiekSter i am totally nominating you for Mother of the Year!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well... as I emailed 3 of my 8th grade son's teachers last night, so far I'm failing miserably at the schooling at home... but keep in mind that I'm still working full time and still having make all the meals and somehow find food for all those meals, so it's not like I lost any of my responsibilities and somehow know I have to figure out what the kids are learning, learn how to do it myself and find time to teach them and keep them on task.
    :crazy3

The first week, I relied on both my boys when I'd asked if they had everything they were supposed to be doing for school done and they said yes, I took them at their word. This weekend I found out that wasn't true, they had just done what they deemed necessary and had put off the stuff they didn't know how to do until the weekend. Ugh. We got caught up on Geometry last night and I spend time organizing the next two weeks of assignments into smaller daily tasks for my 13 year old. He told me that he was sorry for not finishing everything and that he was just lost last week and it broke my heart. :cry

This is so much extra to throw on our kids in this crazy world right now! I think we both felt better after I had my "lesson plans" worked out for him. He has one teacher who does his English and Social Studies classes is very organized and had everything already broken down into daily tasks for the kids in a Google classroom. His math and science teacher is only a 2nd year teacher and has struggled from day one, so he just gave them assignments and didn't teach them how to do anything. :eyeroll

So long stressful rambling later, I have no advice. :giggle Bedtime is definitely a struggle, but again, I'm going to be way before them because I have to work in the morning and that's been that way before this whole COVID-19 mess. I get up and am at work by 6:45am and they aren't even out of bed yet when I leave for work.

blueberries likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

what a learning curve! just reading all that made me tired (and slightly scared!) - hopefully this week goes better, wish i could take meal prep or something like that off your hands but you are a Wonderwoman for juggling it all (and geometry!)

Karen likes this.
  8. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I know I am SUPER LUCKY but I have an 11 year old daughter that loves school, loves to learn, and is a total rule follower. We tuck her in and usually give her 20 or 30 minutes to read so she can unwind and hopefully get tired. When the time is up, she will switch the lamp off for bed.

Since we do homeschool, life is pretty much going on the same for my daughter and I. My husband is home thankfully. That is changing our normal routine some but I am so glad to have him here quarantined with us.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My kids have become much better about bedtime, actually, now that everything is cancelled so they aren't missing out on anything by going to sleep. Don't worry -- I still have to "strongly suggest" other things throughout the day.

We do teeth-brushing & face-washing & prayers between 8:30 and 9, and the 5yo goes to bed then. He assumes that his 10yo sister is also going to bed at that time... but she is not. During the week/schooltime, she can read in bed for a little while. During quarantine, I am allowing her to a quiet activity of her choice until 9:30 or 10.

bellbird likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Our school system is still setting up our classes so that learning can continue at home. It's slated for March 30th or April 1st for the online learning to open up. Right now, the teachers are meeting online to discuss the best ways to handle certain classes.

About bedtime . . .

Hubby is still working, so he heads to bed around 10 pm and sometimes later at 11 pm. I usually will accompany him and read or hang out on my coloring app on my phone.

Daughter is still working from home, so she goes to bed 11 pm or midnight as she has to be online for work at 8 am.

And boooooo on my son. I found out when he started Spring Break last week that he had not been turning in assignments in two of his classes. He's gifted and has a crazy IQ, so we all know he's capable. He was just lazy and decided that he didn't want to do the work, resulting in two poor grades. He's on restrictions. Every electronic device was taken away from him last Wednesday. He can watch some TV, but otherwise, NOTHING. It's his own fault, but let me tell you, the days are super long for him (and super long for me, too! LOL). He can read or draw, build with Legos, etc., but I often find him milling about aimlessly. I've given him chores, tasks, etc., but a day is very long sometimes. My heart goes out to him, but we've battled this same issue for 6th, 7th, 8th, and now 9th grade, where he thinks he can just not do his work. We've taken away electronics before, but this is pretty awful, as he does not even have school to distract him for 6-7 hours of the day. Anyway, I seriously digressed, but his sleep schedule is way off and he's sleeping a lot more. Which is good for his growing body, but I'm worried about him escaping into sleep.

So my normal haven of a home is disrupted right now. That makes me a not happy mommy and wife. I'm struggling to deal with my own anxiety and depression, and deal with his moping and begging looks. Ugh.

I have no advice about home schooling. I'm actually looking forward to it starting here so that my son will have more to do with his time.

Wow. Sorry. I'm not posting on Facebook because I don't want to publicly embarrass him, especially since grandparents are on Facebook, but apparently I needed to let all that out. LOL

Karen, BevG, wvsandy and 1 other person like this.
  11. gonewiththewind

OK, I just read Angela's separate post about her hubby having fever and trying to quarantine from the rest of the family at home and I just feel ashamed that I'm even worrying about the stuff I'm worrying about with my son. I mean, I know they are valid worries TO ME, but in the overall scheme of things, not like having a sick husband and worrying about the virus inside the home. I'm leaving what I wrote because it's true and it's what I felt, but I did want to acknowledge that I'm aware that there are awful things happening in the world and to my online friends. :(

Lisa B and Karen like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Ours is being organized and will start next week, so I'll be following this thread closely. Our 8 year old grandson lives with us and his mom (our dd) works from home so some of this is going to fall to me. They're on Spring Break this week, but we're preparing him for next week - we will have a set schedule and strictly follow it. He's not allowed to stay up late as it is - he'd like to, but we haven't let him fall into that staying up late routing. He'll be sitting at his own desk in my scraproom, so I'll be able to monitor his activities once online school starts.

Karen likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yep! This. That said, we have extended bedtime from 8pm to 8:30pm some days. We have a routine we follow: PJs, brush teeth, scriptures, prayer, hugs & kisses.
    Then, off to bed. He turns on a crackling fireplace sound. He's allowed to read if he wants, but luckily he's not me! Hell read for 10-15 min and turn out the light for sleep. ( Me- I'll read til 4am!). Lately, if he comes on it with real concerns, we chat about them for a few minutes. Then back to bed. He takes a reusable insulated water bottle to bed with him, so he doesn't come out for water.
    The routine and the explanation that this is mom (and dad when he's home) time seems to help. I point out his time is in the am when we are asleep (he routinely is up at 7-7:30, while I sleep until 8).

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I understand your thoughts on this. It's still valid for you to have your concerns. Having concerns about your life doesn't change empathy/sympathy or feelings for those in a more difficult time.
    They are valid to you, just as valid as other concerns. It's not minimizing or dismissing someone else's reality by being concerned for you own .
    I hope I said that right.

Karen, AJK and gonewiththewind like this.
  15. gonewiththewind

Thanks so much for the encouragement. :)

Karen likes this.
  16. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

As seniors with underlying health issues, we are self-isolating. But...we don't have the stressers that many of you are facing. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am very grateful for this loving, caring on-line community to spend time with.

Karen likes this.
  17. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We home-schooled for 6 years. DD & DS are VERY different! DD is an academic, reliable, self motivated.Still is. DS is a social butterfly ( are males "moths"?, lol!), musician, creative and ADD. STILL IS! ha. We had a calendar we used that recorded what had to be done each day. We had a check list they got to check off, OR you could use the calendar- with colored marker for each child X -ing off the school tasks daily.When that was done there were a few household tasks to be done, depending upon the day: take out trash, pick up toys, fold(help fold if young) laundry, etc. Then privileges were given for the remainder of the day. Having a routine is key. Even if you restructure what I suggested, making your routine helps the kids feel more secure and confident, even if they don't say so. Child development studies show this. So whatever routine, checklist you apply it will help you make progress.

A fun thing is to include the kids in cooking, gardening, and discuss the science end of it. Or grocery list making- discuss organization, menu planning, nutrition, and even Math can come in when they see how much food costs. If you are opting for order online, let them see!

I do want to say that though I did make monthly plans and weekly plans, there were often interruptions to these plans that we couldn't help. So you just have to roll with it a bit. But not too lax, because it will increase your stress. It is a disciplined matter to homeschool. Even if temporary. Allowing a bit of flexibility is good. Too much always leads to a struggle or a blow up. And it makes the kids confused. Hang in there, homeschoolers!
    Just for you:
    Homeschool.JPG
    Here's a funny post !

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  18. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have homeschooled our daughter her entire life - K-10th grade so far. I'm glad to help any way I can. :)

19. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We have decided these weeks will be filled with games, documentaries only in evening together, (currently doing America Story of Us), and outside (we live in middle of no where...so distancing is a normal thing). I talked with teachers and if it goes on longer, we will ponder doing school...but for now, we are opening the windows, fighting with sunshine and bleach (oh I hear that in Cheryls voice). Prayers in morning, live stream on Sunday morning/night and Wednesday from my Pastor.

the big hidden secret to homeschooling...public school is from 8-3. Eight hours. YOu can do the same work, in 1 hour usually

gonewiththewind likes this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Lots of good advice here. I would be glad to impart any wisdom I gained from my 13 years of homeschooling.

And yes, to what Anne said -- elementary kids only need 1-2 hours, middle school 2-3, and high school 3-4 per day to get all their work done.

Oh, and the other homeschool secret (at least in our school) sleeping in is okay if everyone else is cool with it. Ditto wearing PJs all day. Of course, we did tend to go a lot places, so some days we had to get up by 9am. I did have a strict, go to bed at 10pm rule. We also played games at lunch almost every single day.