always learning | Pad Patter 20 Mar

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Mar 20, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

You know that saying about 'sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn'?
    Well, i'd love you to share with us something you learnt this week.
    There is so much terrible at the moment but there are still silver linings, moments when you smile and learning moments hopefully.

DH and the kids have been telling me i'm the one that has weird taste for years, but now i've really learnt that some of the things i think of as 'essentials' or totally love, others don't seem to care about, even with a whole bunch of empty shelves! i could buy whole pumpkins, almond milk and canned pineapple anywhere this week so obviously i'm in the minority buying those things. i don't know if zombies are coming next, but i think i could survive on what others don't seem to buy! (but i didn't buy more than 1 of each, nor did i tell my kids they seem to be right about my weird taste! :giggle )

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Hard to get pumpkins in the UK, but pumpkins and pineapple sound like a great way to eat.

We've not had any difficulties getting the food stuff we normally eat so far. But we are fresh counter shoppers, and all the panic buyers are buying long shelf life stuff. There are offically limits of 4 per item per customer on food stuffs in most shops now due to panic buying, but my husband brought more than 4 of some items home today. He said they are wavering the 4 item limit on goods they have loads of such as nuts (apparently no one wants those) and anything that is short dated. So no limits on most of what we eat, and limiting somethings (like fruit and avocados) to 4 when there are 5 of us would have been awkward.

bellbird likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

There's nothing weird about any of your choices. Well, except for the pumpkin. I haven't seen those in our fresh produce unless it's the season for them. Do you mean squash? Or the true, round, orange pumpkin generally made into jack-o-lanterns? If you mean squash, we eat those year-round, too.

I love pumpkin, but in pies. Ha! I'll eat canned pineapple and I'll use it in certain recipes, but man-oh-man, I prefer fresh! And the almond milk . . . I tried, but it's not my thing. Anyway, I'd say you pick things less popular, but not weird!

So far, we've been able to find everything we normally eat. The only thing we've had trouble getting is toilet paper. Even paper towels are hard to find. I don't mind using re-usable kitchen towels, but right now, for sanitizing, I prefer paper.

But what I've learned this week? I think it's just been the realization that I'm really the one who sets the mood in our home. I mean, I **knew** it before, but it was obvious this week. If I'm struggling with anxiety or depression (thanks chronic pain for having buddies!) that's now greatly increased because of the current world situation, and I can't control it, then it adversely affects the rest of my family. When I can control it (and I mean at least outwardly with my facial expressions, tone of voice, etc.), and I can be positive and smile and encourage, the entire feel in our home changes. It is hard, but I can do this!

bellbird likes this.
  4. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

I’ve learned NEVER to make a non-refundable hotel reservation to save a few bucks again. My go to statement has been “Nothing is going to keep me from going on this trip”. Well - lesson learned. We had to cancel our trip to San Francisco in two weeks (touring a city on lock-down doesn’t sound touristy). We won’t know for a few weeks if we get our hotel money back or not - like I said “Lesson learned”.

bellbird likes this.
  5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

So true! I said something to my older girls, "If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!" They had never heard that before, but they agreed.

I definitely see it reflected in my younger ones. If I'm worried or anxious they play off of that. My younger kids shouldn't be worried about what's going on. I want them to play and learn and be kids.

bellbird and gonewiththewind like this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I've re-learned the lesson that you only get one day at a time to live. :nod In the current situation we all find ourselves, and for hubster and me; with our family distances, and yes, the estrangement, it would be easy to panic, to totally stress out with fears of what the future could bring. But none of those fears are facts, so each day, - and I encourage all to try- to LIVE, with gratitude for THIS day, expressing love and concern for people Youmatter_smiley.gif even in spite of situations, and ask God for wisdom and discernment and instruction for the next. This is what is meant by:
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I remind myself often several times a day, and it works!! :yup

AND, I've actually found several things that have been lost in the shuffle - with school closing and hubby home and adjusting to the unknown schedule at this point- that need to be addressed.:idea2 I have a course I purchased that has set dormant for a few weeks, a jacket to finish and one that is cut out waiting for me, and I'm blessed with a lovely home studio that can be a place of positivity- productivity and healing as well as a means to honor the God whom I've placed my trust. For me, creating is a form of worship, as well as just really healthy fun!!!:heartslub

bellbird, BevG and Donitab like this.
  7. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I learned just how severe my anxiety disorder is.
    Learned/ing to implement my grandmother's old rule of "two squares". I couldn't do it when I was 10 either. 0_o
    Learned my husband loves clicking his pen way more often than I can handle.
    Learned not to replace said pen with a pencil that has a removable eraser because the popping noise it makes when he repeatedly removes it is almost as bad or maybe worse than the clicking.
    Learned that I should keep things in better stock and if we all become zombies, I am likely one of the first to go. :hide

bellbird and Donitab like this.
  8. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Learned how quickly a pandemic of fear can grip the entire world.

bellbird, BevG and Donitab like this.
  9. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

And how quickly some people can ignore and blow it off (which is disturbing)

bellbird and Donitab like this.
  10. SharLamb

I've also learned that human nature is the same no matter what the circumstances are. There are a lot more people out walking their dogs these days, and most smile and say nice things, like "stay healthy," or "isn't this a beautiful day?," or just "How ya doin'?" Then there are some, like the woman in the Costco parking lot yesterday. She was putting her purchases in her trunk...next to my car. As I approached, she gave me the ugliest "DON'T YOU DARE COME NEAR ME" look (she was very young, by the way, and I am old). I don't think she saw my smile.

There are people like a friend of mine who "scored" a case of TP. When her friend said she might have to come buy a few rolls, my friend told her to just come get what she needed...no charge! And there are the hoarders who have created a false shortage of some products, and people like my son-in-law who spent three days and countless hours trying to find groceries for his family of 6. Seeing two bags of frozen chicken, took one, and left the other for the woman who came up just behind him. Some hoard. Some share.

Some are angry because they are bored and feel helpless. Some use the time creatively or doing projects they've always been too busy for.

Some are full of anxiety and fear. Some have faith that this too shall pass. Some think they are going to die. Some think there are things worse than death. "What we see depends mainly on what we look for." ~John Lubbock~

bellbird likes this.
  11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have learned that grocery stores will restock. They may sell out quickly, but it does return. I spent 2 days trying to find potatoes. A friend finally found me some and then today, bam, my local store was restocked with potatoes and bananas.

In the good news category -- gas at Costco was $1.65 today.

bellbird likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We are still waiting for our store to restock. They did twice, but we didn't know the time and they sold out within a few hours. Was just there and no fruit, no meats of ANY kind, very little canned goods. We are applying an old lesson- when we lived on $85.00 monthly in Mexico- how to cook beans! lol. We do have some food, but we are waiting for the fruits and veggies to restock.
    I ALSO LEARNED: Don't dictate a text message to your Mom if you are in a hurry! I did a long one an hour ago, and dictation distorted what I said, picked up some words from T.V. and I can't even quote here part of the message I sent!!!!

[​IMG]
    Thankfully Mom knows I don't talk like that- and said she understood.
    [​IMG]

bellbird and SharLamb like this.
  13. SharLamb

WOW! Gas at $1.65?????? It's not just the airlines and cruise ships that are suffering because of quarantine is it! People are driving way less. In Washington state that mean a HUGE loss of taxes (we have one of, if not THE highest gas taxes in America). On the other hand, when we've driven anywhere the last week or so, traffic looks like it did 30 years ago. We could actually drive the speed limit through town.

bellbird and BevG like this.