Food nostalgia

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Mar 20, 2020.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Has there ever been a food that you used to really like, basically mass produced, and it was discontinued? Or maybe in your travels you are something but can’t find it where you live? Do you sometimes go to the store and think, man I wish I could find/buy that again?

I loved loved loved Salerno Buttercookies when I was little. They were a very this shortbread cookie that was shaped like a flower and I remember putting them on my finger and wearing them like a ring. Yes I was a weird little kid. Anyway the company that made them was family owned and they went out of business. And every once in awhile I really crave them.

Anyone else want to share your loved and lost food items?

2. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My husband used to LOVE these peach flavored mints called Smint. Not sure if they aren't made at all... but we haven't been able to find the Peach Smints in years.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

When we went to China 16 years ago to get our daughter, we were served mulberry juice on the plane. We also bought it at the grocery store and kept some in the hotel fridge. It was so good. I have not found it here. -- hmmm, just did a Google search and it available online. Might have to get me some.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  4. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

When we went to China our first time I had a custard bun. It's a bun with this sweet, melty, custard in the middle. Literally, the best thing I ever ate in my life. I ate like 3 every morning for bkfst. I had them in Shanghai. I tried different recipes and I could never replicate them. The next time we went I was determined to find them again. I never could until our last stop...on our last day...I found them in a 7-11 of all places. The 3rd time we went I found them in several restaurants. I guess it was probably the different provinces we were in.

I have finally found some at the Asian markest in Atlanta that are the same!!! You buy them frozen and then steam them. MMMMM! I stock up on those like crazy when we head down there.

weaselwatchr and BevG like this.
  5. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I remember the Salerno Buttercookies from my childhood and yes we wore them on our fingers. lol My lost candy is Necco wafers. They stopped producing last year when I bought all that I could find. It is probably a blessing that they are gone because I have diabetes and would find them hard to resist.

bestcee, cfile and weaselwatchr like this.
  6. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Buttered popcorn flavored Dum-Dums. Buttery, salty, and sweet - I was hooked from the first one, and they didn't stay on the market long. Would love for them to bring it back long enough for me to hoard some :-D

weaselwatchr likes this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I loved Airheads as a kid. IDK if they changed the recipe or if it's just me, but they're different. (Not horrible, but not the same.)

I used to love Shamrock shakes, but now they make my stomach feel like it's full of rocks. Growing old is hard. Why can't I enjoy sugary fake ice cream like I used to?!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  8. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Milk allergic since age 30 so I've lost a lot. Sometimes the little things I miss most are the worst for me. McDonalds for example. Its a hotzone there but I loved their fries and a small cheeseburger. And mini chocolate donuts. You know the kind that when you open the package you should take out a few and put it away because if you don't you look down and wonder where they all went.

I also miss several of the foods I loved when in the UK. They have the best dairy free products, a soy creamer for soups and baking, ice cream that is 100x better than any dairy free ice cream made in the US, and a variety of free from products that you just can't get here.

I don't recall too much specific things from childhood. Maybe zingers. Haven't seen those in a while. My grandmother used to work at a hostess shop where they had breads and cupcakes and all the hostess stuff. Those stores were great. I wish they were still around. Probably couldn't eat any of it anymore but just the smell of it would be awesome.

weaselwatchr likes this.
  9. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Kraft Fudgies - They were candies - the same size and packaged just like Kraft caramels. They were the best!

weaselwatchr and BevG like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oooh Philadelphia Cheesecake Snack Bars! I miss them so!
    And Jello 123...eating it made me feel all fancy lol

weaselwatchr likes this.
  11. weaselwatchr

Hubby loved necco wafers.

They still have zingers. We just bought some the other day. I only liked the raspberry ones which I can't find anywhere.

12. weaselwatchr

This one time we were in mexico i had these things that were liek cheetos called paquitos? something like that? They were spicy but not crazy spicy like hot cheetos. They just had a bite to them. I was never able to finf them on subsequant trips to Mexico. Glad you found your buns.