pinch me... | pad patter 3.17.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Mar 17, 2020.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

[​IMG]

According to folklore, you get pinched on St. Patrick’s day for not wearing green because green makes you invisible to leprechauns, and leprechauns like to pinch people (because they can!)

As a kid we always loved St. Patrick's Day because we could pinch each other if we we're wearing green. We would try to hide our green so if we got pinched we could pinch the person back 10 times. Things like making and wearing a bracelet from green yarn or using a green rubberband to pull back our hair. Yep, we were silly leprechauns, i mean kids, but we had fun and really enjoyed ourselves. :happyclap

My kids loved the pinching part of St. Patrick's Day too when they were young and it makes me sad that my youngest is 14 and no longer wants to join in the pinching fun. Maybe it's because there's no school today, but it still makes me sad that she's growing up and not having fun with the silliness of St. Patty's Day.

How about you? Do you or your friends and family join in the pinching craze of St. Patty's Day or do you celebrate in a different way?

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I actually never knew the reason behind why you could pinch someone on St. Patty's Day. Huh. I learned something new today. And I will go home and pinch my kids. Hee hee! I am wearing green today, but that was totally by luck! I kinda forgot it was St. Patrick's Day.

And honestly I wonder how many bars ordered a bunch of green beer that now won't be consumed since all bars and restaurants in Michigan (and many other places) are closed.

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Also, I wish someone would make me some corned beef.

Donitab and keepscrappin like this.
  4. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

guess I would be pinched black and blue today as I don't wear green (ever!)

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I don't even have much green, but if I get around I may pull out my green lantern tee.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Corned beef in my crockpot right now - love that stuff. When my kids were at home, we always had the corned beef with green mashed potatoes and rolls, cabbage (naturally green) and a green dessert. Lots of fun - I need to plan a Green Day for my grandson next year. He will love it!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

"Social distance me, I'm Irish/Iowish"
    My niece sent me this shirt yesterday, perfect for Iowans at heart.

IMG_3424-copy.jpg

Karen, Donitab and keepscrappin like this.
  8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Not anymore- the pinching. Kids are adults now and still waiting for the "privilege" of seeing the grands. With school out for all of us we are hoping. But tonight for the Riley household, it will be a "green pizza"= spinach, broccoli, pesto, etc. for dinner!!!
    [​IMG] Pizza.JPG

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Donitab and keepscrappin like this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

So cute!!!

10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Not much of anything happening here, we are also on lock down.
    We will have to catch up in a few weeks and get creative. I missed Pi day too and I usually love that.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I own no green clothing whatsoever, and for today I'm grateful for no school so I don't have to hear about pinching all day long :giggle
    I really wanted to do corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight, but the only cabbage at the store when I went was HUGE and I knew half of it would go to waste, so I will do it another time I guess.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

Totally forgot to wear green, put the corned beef in the crock pot, child baked soda bread, and we put up shamrocks in the windows. lol Trying to keep it fun in the house.

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Totally forgot about it.. when the kids were much younger we did the green thing.

Some Irish Soda Bread sounds really goood.

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

As a child, I detested the pinching. Like seriously, I never wanted to pinch anyone else and I didn't want to be pinched. LOL I'm still not great at playing games. I know, I know. Spoilsport. Ha!

We've never really celebrated St. Patty's Day other than the kiddos doing stuff at school.

One year, Daniel made the cutest leprechaun catcher in his gifted class:

[​IMG]

Here's the journaling:

Daniel made a leprechaun trap at ACES and brought it home. The trap had a door with a sign that said “free gold” with arrows pointing to the entrance, and an extra sign that promoted the offer as “totally legit.” He didn’t manage to capture a leprechaun, but within just a few minutes, he was able to capture a leprechaun cat! This was all made more amusing by Daniel wearing a mustache he made out of a pipe cleaner. I love his imagination and wit!