What's helping you through this crazy time?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by redplaid3, Mar 16, 2020.

1. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I'm doing better when I walk outside, don't look at the news, read the Word, and breathe deep. What helps you?

2. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I can't watch the news or even chat with most people. They make comments that sometimes are just so insane, insult people for doing what they do to protect themselves, it's just too much.

I've been binge watching tv and on the computer. Lots of dog snuggles. I want to get out and walk a little bit but motivation is slim.

redplaid3 likes this.
  3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Trust that all will eventually well and reading. But that's my normal life!

LynnG, redplaid3 and AJK like this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Angela Toucan, Karen, Lisa B and 3 others like this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Organizing studio = currently working on my collage stash- it needs to be categorized so that it is easier to use; much like digi stuff needs to be. We are also anticipating a move, and doggoneit, I'm determined to have my studio so streamlined that it packs in a few hours and unpacks in even less!!! :) I'm with Kat, I've stopped watching the network tv. And we are supposed to have 80 degree days soon- so that's good- praying for more to help in decreasing the pandemic.

LynnG and redplaid3 like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Going outside. I've made a point to go outside for at least 30 minutes. Yesterday ended up being an hour + and today was an hour-and-a-half +. Fresh air and sunshine are great combatants of this virus.

Reading. I picked up the Outlander series again. I've read it multiple times. It's comforting because I know the story and the characters, so it's like meeting up with old friends.

Creating. I've been scrapping and designing. Even when I don't feel particularly creative, I make myself open up a canvas and just START. Then I'm in there doing it, and it's fun. I'm also participating in a couple of online challenges for scrapping, and that helps keep me focused and motivated. I'll be painting and/or drawing later this week (I hope), and I'll also be continuing my cross stitch project.

Limiting social media time. I've been trying to do this since the first of the year. Having an online business that relies heavily on social media, it's hard to make a line and decide what's personal time and what's business time. So I had already limited how much I was reading, but now I've really just stopped scrolling my main feed. I check in with my family members to see what they're up to, and I check quite a few scrapbooking groups to see what others are creating.

Limiting news reports. I need SOME information, but not ALL information. I have picked a handful of places where I will go for updates. Most of the time, my hubby ingests the news (he's not affected like I am), and then he will share. That's my preferred method, actually. LOL

Organizing. So far, it's only been one cabinet, but with my daughter's help, I was able to get it cleaned out and much more accessible for me. It's a lower cabinet, so it's already hard to reach things, and it was just overrun with objects. It was time to let things go that I wasn't using regularly so they will bless someone else. There's something about this that empowers me.

Sounds like you have a great plan for dealing with the stressors.

LynnG, redplaid3 and mary kate like this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Keeping busy! Today I painted kitchen cabinets and watched my grandson for a little while. Tomorrow I plan to clean up and finish some laundry. I have another couple of painting projects I want to finish and as soon as it warms up a little, I am going to spend lots of time outside! I'm staying away from news and a lot of social media. Being trapped at home is nothing new, done it lots of times in the winter for weeks at a time. At least this time the weather is nice and we have power :) I do have to prepare more lessons and figure out some things for my students if the shutdown goes longer than expected.

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Might sound weird but i'm glad that our TLP community is in someways unchanged. I do know you don't live in my computer and have real lives but seeing a bunch of posts in the forum and new pages in the gallery, which is my norm when i check in after being asleep on this side of the world, is quite reassuring and so i've been hoping around commenting a bit just now and that feels helpful to me, that i'm still communicating but technically observing social distances :)

pagefrocks, LynnG, Sokee and 5 others like this.
  9. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

YES! I agree!

redplaid3 and bellbird like this.
  10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We were on vacation last week and the whole thing seemed unreal, disconnected, etc. We got home yesterday and today it is starting to feel more real. I hope to scrap more. I also downloaded a huge checklist of spring cleaning items and hope to start tackling them - you know things like cleaning the baseboards and washing windows and ...

LynnG, redplaid3 and bestcee like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Counting my blessings. I was already homeschooling, and I'm grateful for all the additional resources that are popping up or giving free trials! It's making school easier right now.

12. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I'm still working full time during the day, so not much has changed other than where I'm working and the amount of worrying I'm doing! My husband put together a scheduled for the kids (he's an educator, so he's home). My teenagers are having a hard time adjusting (understandably). Today we had them make donation piles, read and either write or draw.

LynnG, bestcee and redplaid3 like this.
  13. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

1. Walking my dog. It really helps to get a bit of sunshine and fresh air.

2. Binge-watching without guilt. Or not too much guilt, at any rate (of course, I could, and probably should, be doing something useful; but since I'm supposed to stay home, I guess one more episode of Good Girls isn't going to hurt?...).

3. Texting and chatting with my sisters. They are very funny, and their gallows-humour perspective is keeping me sane. I am very grateful for my family.

Where I need to do better: I know I need to limit my exposure to social media, but I haven't yet succeeded in tearing myself away from the screen. It is making me more anxious than I need to be, and I need to try harder.

14. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I made myself a daily schedule and found 40+ art lessons to add to my crafty days. Lilypad challenges are a daily must do. I am also making daily photography "assignments" for my granddaughter so she can learn more about her new camera (I gave her my SLR). More texting and chatting with my grandkids and daughter - this takes the place of my picking up the kids 3-4 times a week and making dinner for family once a week. Our governor has just strongly recommended that those over 70 and with any of the health concerns stay home so that means me. I will probably go stir crazy and take a car ride with no destination just to get out. Its been raining so gardening has been out, but hope to do that as well. It's going to be challenging for sure. BTW our furry friends are loving all the home bodies!

15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My hubby works at home and we homeschool so not many changes around here. All of our extracurricular activities are canceled...which weren't many to begin with. So, for the most part, I'm just doing the normal things. I just need to stay off social media - that gets me stressed out!

My oldest daughter is probably the most stressed/anxious about the whole thing. Her dual enrollment classes were postponed and her babysitting gig was canceled so she finds herself with not a whole lot to do. So...she's been helping me organize. Yippy! She went through all the kids clothes today and pulled out all of our bins and got their spring/summer clothes ready. Seriously, it's a job that would have taken me an entire weekend or more. Tomorrow I think I might have her organize the kids' bedrooms.

With some of our extra time, we are reading more, doing puzzles and playing games.

16. AnneofAlamo

today our library closed, and everything hit me! I admit I kinda had a wee weep. But, shook it off, and made a ton of pasta for church tonight (we are in revival and still able to congregate). I need my friends and family at church, and hope that we can keep going this week.

LynnG, BevG and redplaid3 like this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

To be honest not too much has changed for me though I’m sure there will be a time where I’ll be forced to stop job hunting due to having no jobs available. My profession (disability support/advocacy/higher education coordination) has very few jobs anyway especially when you take out the care workers vacancies and those that need professional health care or social work qualifications/registration. Though to be fair I go through peaks and valleys all the time with it - heaps of jobs December through mid Feb, then about 3-4 weeks with nothing then in the last month a handful came up.

redplaid3 likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It has been a weird week for sure. My kids' school is closed for the next month so they are home (Yay!). They have online learning opportunities to keep them busy for part of the day, but my youngest really needs help focusing from home when he has other things he'd rather be doing. I still have to work, so I'm not there to provide that structure as much as I would like. (Thank GOD for FaceTime, so I can check in at least!) But after all that, I'm actually thrilled to have all my extra things canceled. Like... this is heaven to me! I HAVE to stay home and work on my giant pile of crafty projects? Well... okay then! :) I do have a little trouble being able to sit still and work on those projects still, because I feel like I should be doing something else, like I normally would.

Also, I am VERY thankful for my books... the escapism they provide is golden. And Netflix shows with the whole family. That's something that rarely happens because we aren't all home together at the same time usually.

19. AnneofAlamo

this puzzle game that has kept me hopping like a crazed frog is keeping me from social media, which is a fire of doom...I think they should mandate 30 days no reports but emergencies ONLY. lol
    and I think everyone should play with me the fun puzzle game!
    shenanigans is a good name for this piece - tee hee the whole game... puzzle shenanigans.png

CathQuillScrap, BevG, mcurtt and 3 others like this.
  20. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I'm for a moratorium on news except reports on emergencies and government instructions.

AnneofAlamo likes this.