Here's something not to do...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Kat, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Delete your macbook pro hard drive. lol. This is your friendly back up yo stuff post!

I've been working with apple to troubleshoot a problem with my external hard drive losing its connection when it shouldn't. They told me the next step was erase/reformat/reinstall the OS. I've done this before, piece of cake. Whoops! Clicked on the wrong thing, hard drive deleted. It was all backed up no big deal actually. I back up and double back up thankfully. I only lost some recent bookmarks that google didn't sync.

The good news is, after a lengthy hang out with an apple genius bar tech, it was SUPER simple to put it back and reinstall the OS to complete my plan. I also got diagnostics run and my repeating e key fixed. Look, it works again, only one e when I type it vs a lot of them. lol.

If you do have a mac, timeshare back up is your best friend, do it! I also make double copies of my external hard drives. The apple gbt said you should replace your EHDs every two-three years and I'm over here with some way older than that.

bestcee likes this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

As much as I have enjoyed spending the occasional day with Apple on line support, I'm glad I'm not in that need - Right Now! Glad to hear your situation worked out so well. I have almost 3.5 GBs worth of back ups on a 4T EHD and I'll be interested to see when it starts deleting old ones. In the past with another EHD, I ended up having to do it manually and had to use the free TrashIt! app. I never figured out why it wouldn't auto delete as it was supposed to. :badputer

This weekend I'm consolidating two older EHDs to one new 5T. All - all, ha! - I have to transfer now are the photos. That old 2T has been a workhorse and will have a copy of my photos to go to a friend's house. Sadly all my children live too far away to be my 'storage unit'. But it feels good to get some clean out done at the same time. There's always a computer chore to be done it seems.

3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Eek! Glad you had stuff backed up. I have a PC, so no Mac timeshare for me, but I do use BackBlaze, which backs up my laptop and one of my four EHDs.

Thanks for the backup reminder, and glad you got your issues sorted (although I bet it was a bit shocking when you clicked the wrong button!)

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Wow that's scary that it's that easy to delete your hard drive!! Glad you had everything backed up - but even that's a pain to get everything back.

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Thank goodness for backups! Backblaze is my BFF! So glad this story had a happy ending for you!

6. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Oh, it was IN the instructions...said delete volume group, then you click that and it asks to delete or delete volume group.... so I chose the obvious one... THEN kept reading... OH.... not that one. Ooops. I do wish they'd fix that in their support article but it really wasn't that clear.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yikes. Thinking about deleting a whole hard drive puts me right into a cold sweat. :giggle Thankfully I have good backups too, but still! I have several friends who aren't scrapbookers that never even download pictures off their phones or have any kind of backup of any of their stuff. yikes! I'm so glad you were able to get everything back and get rid of your repeating 'e' problem. Ha ha!

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I hate when I hear people say "Oh, that photo is on my old phone. I lost it so it's gone."

On the brightside, most of these same people have google/apple automatically backing up their photos and just don't realize it.

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yeah these two friends of mine didn’t even have auto backups working on their phones because they were out of space on iCloud and didn’t want to pay 99 cents a month for a backup. I grabbed both of their phones and added Google photos so they’d at least have one good backup in place. Ugh. :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My granddaughter is the queen of delete ... she'll just decide to delete all of her photos ... I'm thinking 40 years from now she's going to be sorry ...

bestcee likes this.
  11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

That sounds like something I would do. Time Machine backup is great. But since updating to the latest OS, my EHD is no longer compatible. I looked for an update on that, but the last one is old.

12. Tracie Stroud

Tracie Stroud Active Member

Ack that gave me anxiety just reading about it! I can't believe they made it that easy to delete a hard drive! So glad you were able to fix it. We've been Backblaze members for years and it's been so worth it. We've restored 3 or 4 hard dives that died without any issue.