Technique Slow Scrap and Game | Saturday Feb 29 @11am EST/8am PST | INSTRUCTIONS

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Feb 29, 2020.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Layer Styles 1 | Introduction to layer style basics

At a recent chat, I asked what sort of techniques would you like to see. There was a huge excitement at the suggestion of Styles....so I am going to do a series of lessons on using layer styles, starting from the basics and moving each lesson to more challenging uses.

And...by the way...it's LEAP day! Since this only comes around once every four years, I'm going to combine a fun game with our technique scrap.

1. What are layer styles?

A layer style is one or more effects applied to a layer or layer group. A layer style can be added to any layer but we use styles most often for text and elements. There are 11 layer styles included in Photoshop (if you use a different software, there are equivalent effects).

[​IMG]

2. How do I load layer styles?
    It's necessary to make sure that the window for layer styles is on, so you can load, see and use your layer styles. Click on windows and then make sure you see a check mark next to Styles.
    [​IMG]
    Once you have the styles palette open, click the 4 lines at the top right hand corner for the drop down menu, then click "import styles..." to load a new style. You can also just drag the style from your desktop or download folder onto the photoshop icon and it will automatically appear in your list. I like to see text only, but you can choose to see thumbnails, or thumbnails plus the text.
    [​IMG]

There are some default shadows and many of our designers have styles available in the store. I use the drop shadows from One Little Bird on every layout.

3. How do I use layer styles?
    The easiest way to use a layer style is to just click on a pre-made one and the creator has done all the work for you. Easy peasy!

But...did you know, you can create your own layer style, or even modify an existing one (this will be in a future lesson).

In the following example, I have created a circle, but you are not limited to shapes. Once you have your shape, text, elements, etc...., make sure you are on the layer for what you want a style added to and click layer -> layer styles to see the options (you can also click on the fx icon on the bottom of the layer palette).
    [​IMG]

The most common styles I use are Drop Shadow
    [​IMG]
    And Stroke
    [​IMG]

I combine the 2 to use for photos.

I have created a style for you that combines a stroke with a drop shadow. You can DOWNLOAD HERE

LEAP DAY GAME
    You didn't think I'd let you all off that easy, did you? I have a little game for you. I have created a word search with commonly used digital items. Use the word search to add at least FIVE additional and different items to your layout (you can add more). Please list or highlight the items you used.
    [​IMG]

Here are today's instructions:
    Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

*You MUST include a photo in which you have a drop shadow and stroke (feel free to use the style I provided, or create your own). Feel free to modify it to your liking, but it must be clear that there is a drop shadow and a stroke.
    **Use the word search game to add at least 5 DIFFERENT items to your layout (you can add more). Please highlight or list the items you use.

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due Sunday, March 1, 2019 at 1:00pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Joan K, Ferdy, Lisa B and 1 other person like this.
  2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Thanks for the chat!
    [​IMG]

3. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

Awesome scrap /chat / game and challenge! I used the style as listed above. And I used these 5+ items from the word search:
    1. overlay
    2. wordart
    3. scatter
    4. stamps
    5. flower
    6. leaf

Here's my LO:
    [​IMG]

4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks for the chat, Farrah. I still need lots of practice and a couple of details to be worked out in using styles. From the chart I used: Button, Paint, Scatter, Leaf, Date, and Word Art (6). I also included journaling - a quote from God's Heart for You by Holley Gerth on Feb 28. It's a calendar I turn every day designed to help a woman embrace her true worth and I knew I wanted to use it in a layout.

[​IMG]

5. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

6. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the chat, game, and scrap. I used the freebie style, Word Art, Big Title, Date, Font (2), Overlay (Blended 2 papers), Flower, Leaf, Illustration, Scatter, Sticker, Paper, and Ribbon.
    [​IMG]

7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

It was a great chat , Thank you.
    I used Scatter, paper, paint ribbon and fastener from the word search, an ofcourse your style
    [​IMG]

8. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chat!
    1 - Ribbon
    2 - Button
    3 - Date
    4 - Confetti
    5 - Fastener
    6 - Stitch

[​IMG]

9. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you Farrah for the scrap, chat, game and challenge

[​IMG]

I used my own style
    - fastener
    - stitch
    - confetti
    - tape
    - flower
    - leaf
    - wordart

10. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

My page used the free style on the blue hearts and the patterned circle within the starburst shape at the right hand border. From the word search, among others, I used confetti, frame, word art, patterned paper, ribbon.

[​IMG]

11. AnnaB

AnnaB Well-Known Member

12. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I missed the chat but I made a page. Thanks for the fun game too. I used flower, paint, date, doodles, stitching.
    [​IMG]

13. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

What a fun challenge!
    Flower, fastener, wordart, leaf, paint
    I also used the style on the wordart.

[​IMG]

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Sorry I was in and out during the chat. Five items+ from word search: Paper, Button, Word Art, Leaf, Flower, Scatter, Paint, Tag, Date.

Here's my page:
    [​IMG]

15. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

Sorry I missed the chat. Thanks for the free style. I enjoyed making this layout. I used styles a lot! I used your drop shadow and stroke. I also used Mommyish's realistic shadows and on the butterfly I used PSE colorful center and stroke and on the tag I beveled it. My 5 other elements are: flower, paint, doodles (scribbles) border, and tag.

[​IMG]

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

love your game and i'm wordsearching now but gotta take DD to the hairdresser so i'll probably be late but i love your screenshots and explanations of styles already Farrah!

FarrahJobling likes this.
  17. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I did the stroke and drop shadow. My 5 elements: scatter (prd - romanceme), overlay (rjefferies - all new cluster overlay), stamp ( cupid rjefferies - make art and journal love), flower (Rebecca - woodland paths), ribbon (rjefferies - you are magical and fastener (pin rjefferies - you are magical)
    [​IMG]

18. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I also missed the chat, but enjoyed creating a layout using the styles provided. I did reduce the size of the stroke around the photos and the title cutout. From the word search I used paint, word art, date, ribbon, and button, scatters. (Maybe more if I look closer!!)
    [​IMG]

19. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I couldn't make the chat - my kids were visiting, but here's my page.
    [​IMG]

Stroke & drop shadow added to photo
    9 items from word search game:
    doodle
    scatter
    font
    flower(s)
    tag
    title
    ribbon
    sticker
    patterned paper

20. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

Sad I couldn't make the chat but here is my page. I chose: Patterned Paper, Button, Flower, Leaf, Wordart, Title, Paint, Scatter:

[​IMG]