Question-Windows 10 viewing "folder" images

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LynnZant, Feb 18, 2020.

1. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I've been playing some more. If I rename any file within the folder the preview comes back. Except I now noticed that different kits show/don't show the previews in different views like extra large and large previews views. It's making me crazy, so I might just try to give Microsoft a call later when they open.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Did you call? I'm wondering if they gave you a solution.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've got to say that I never knew you could pick the page that shows (in the folders). I've been doing this since I read this forum and what fun I've had! So, thanks for teaching me something I didn't know. Most of my folders showed what was in them, but not all of them did.

4. LynnZant

@bestcee The week got away from me and I didn't call. I've been taking @fruitysuet advice and doing a search of the word "folder." I also found that I could use things like "swl" and "fdd" in my search to get previews of templates by just Scrapping with Liz or Fiddle-Dee-Dee. The crazy thing is when I'm in PSE and click to open a folder, all the previews show there. I would still like to browse kits in FE, but the tech godz aren't smiling on me right now. lol

bestcee likes this.
  5. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

After keeping up with this thread I now know why a lot of designers include their kit preview with the file name "folder". I had sometimes wondered why they do that.

6. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I sometimes just search by "jpg" or "png". Quotes aren't necessary, just wanted to showcase that you can search by file extensions as well. Especially for template designers, "jpg" in the search box is amazing. And I love to search by abr to display brushes.

7. LynnZant

I finally called Microsoft yesterday. She did a remote access, I showed her what I was talking about, and. . .nothing. ha ha She checked all my settings, and they were correct. They had a cookie cutter response of, "Windows 10 has different features than Windows 7. . ." She and her supervisor also thought it might have been because most of my files came from a recovery drive off a Windows 7 machine. I would have accepted that if it were all or nothing--not randomly some. And, it happened on brand new kits that I had just bought. I organize them in my downloads folder, drag the new kits to my documents, and the folder preview won't show.

This is why I never used to update my computer. Stuff would always work. Now, you have to hold your breath that everything is the way you left it the last time you looked because some update could change it all. Microsoft left me with the hope that some day down the road there might be an update to fix it. Nice, hugh? In the meantime, I have 500GB of goodies that I can't look at easily. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I have a "Kit Previews" folder where I copy and renamed the "folder" image from each kit. I renamed the images "Designer - Kit Name" then I can just scroll through the images to see what I have. You can also break the images down by designer or theme, etc.

9. LynnZant

I have that too for my themed kits, but not for templates. It would be nice to go to my templates folder and do a quick visual scan without using the search function, but it doesn't look I can do that.

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

This is the reason I keep only the Tiff template files as file explorer shows you what they look like. I also throw all the templates by a specific designer into 1 folder. Sure I have to scroll through 100s of templates but at least it is a visual scroll.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Can't you make one for templates? I always save a copy of the template image from the webpage. I just haven't bothered to make folder for those images. I probably should.

12. LynnZant

@BevG I obviously made the wrong choice years ago by saving the psd files and deleting the tiffs. If I could start over. . .
    @Memaw2Wm I have a sick amount of templates. I've been hoarding for 14 years. I at least have almost all of them in one folder that I can search through.

Just like everything else after a hard drive failure, I have to do lots of things differently now. :)

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

You can sort of --- when you open a template, do a Save As and pick Tiff. Then delete the PSD. Be sure to chose one of the compression options or you will get really large files. A compressed tiff file is usually smaller than a psd file. I have even heard of an action you can run to do this automatically for all psd files in a folder. I have not done it, but found this link on Adobe's site. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html

14. LynnZant

@BevG I would still need to use the folder preview for template packs with more than one template in them. I just did a rough count, and I have approximately 1600 template folders. Some have single templates and some have multiple templates in one folder that were sold as a pack. I think I have a mild template obsession. lol

BevG and Memaw2Wm like this.
  15. Memaw2Wm

OH EM GEE!!! That’s a lot of templates!

16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@LynnZant So if you buy a template pack say from FDD or SWL (my 2 faves), do you keep the templates in the same folder or do you put them in individual folders?

I'm asking because I just unzipped something I bought from FDD and she included a file called "folder" as well as the same thing named "preview" in her zip file. I don't know if any other designers do include it but she at least did for that purchase. I also keep all my templates together in a folder with the name of the kit. I even go so far to keep templates that are in a "series" (like SWL's Daily Life or Month in Review templates) in one folder instead of individual ones for each kit. For me it makes it easier if I want to coordinate multiple layouts... my go to templates for that are the Daily life templates from Liz. I just have to look in one folder instead of multiple folders.

17. LynnZant

@HavaDrPepper I keep each purchase in it's own folder, so my template folders include the folder jpeg and the actual psd file. Then I have all of those folders within another folder marked "templates" so that I can just do a quick visual scan and see what matches my photos using the folder jpeg showing what's in the folder. I do have separate folders for about five template designers that I hoard (fdd being one of them).

I don't know. . .maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I'm now using the search more and it shows the preview much better than "peeking" into the folders. It was rare that I used search--I just did a visual of what I was looking for. Now I've realized it's a pretty powerful tool that I should use more often.

BevG likes this.
  18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@LynnZant You could start a template preview folder. Going forward, anytime you buy a template pack, add a copy of the preview to the Preview folder...and if you search for a template pack, copy/paste its folder image into the Preview folder. I name mine "Template pack name" and Designer initials. Like, "Label Everything DD FDD BYOC 2020-03" (because it's the Dressed Down version and it's for March 2020 BYOC). ETA: oops, I should have said that I didn't start a template preview folder until a couple years ago. I had so many template packs and it was becoming difficult to find what I wanted (or to double-check if I already had a pack lol).

@HavaDrPepper I create a shortcut of templates folders that are part of a series. Same with BYOC products: I have a "BYOC 2020-03" folder and I put ALL shortcuts to March 2020 BYOC products in that folder. The products themselves are in their own, individual folders, but I can easily see what products I have by looking in the series' folder. As for BYOC, last year I started making preview images for all my BYOC products. I keep the folder image in the BYOC's folder as well as make a copy for my Previews folder.

19. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I never knew that! Thanks for the tip! :bk

bbachand likes this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@Tree City

I also put a copy of the previews in a separate folder as well. With my stuff being organized by store/designer/kit. The preview copies are put in the designer folder. I will also rename them especially if they use a shortened version in the name of the kit so that they sort alphabetically. Then when a kit is retired, I edit the name to add retired and it sorts at the end (except SWL... hers get a z- added to the preview so it sorts last. In my opinion, it was well worth the time to go back and do it for all the kits I have.

Heck I even spent time renaming psd's, jpgs and previews for several of SWL's kits because they weren't sorting the way I like. January doesn't sort before February you know. LOL I've bought several of SWL's month in review series and I have now put them all in one folder with 3 sub-folders for each series. Each year has its own folder so they don't get mixed up. I am using them for a project and it was getting confusing looking for the month/year template I wanted. Thus the renaming project. Now they sort monthly and are each in their own year folder. So I only need to go to the folder I need for my project.

I hardly ever buy BYOC and if I do buy a kit those items just get organized under the designer so no shortcuts are needed.

It really is interesting to see how other people organize their digi-scrapping supplies. Everyone is different and what works for someone else may not work for me and what works for me won't necessarily work for someone else. :)

Tree City likes this.