never overwrite a template again!!!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Frumpje, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Maybe you allready know, but I learned it today…

So normally I would open a template and save it with another name, but... I'm talking about me :giggle... so I sometimes would just start being to enthousiastic and forget about it and only use ctrl+S to save and… well byebye Original template file! (recognize this?! :overreact )

Here is the TIP I just saw on YouTube:
    Go to your explorer (Is it called explorer in English? The place where you can see all your files? No you don't need photoshop!) and rename the extension of any template with '.psdt' so template1.psd will become template1.psdt . If you then open your template in photoshop it will probably be called untitled1.psd . Save it as you like without losing the Original file. Tada!!!! Hope it helped… without further ado… I'm now going to change them all. :agree

ps: It only works in CC versions.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Totally cool! Making a template an Adobe template file!

Disclaimer: this is supposedly only available to CC users. If you use elements or pre-CC, you will probably have to change it to .psd or use "open as".

Frumpje and gonewiththewind like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That's why I save all my zip files on an EHD. I can just unzip it and retrieve the template file I need after I have saved the layout with another name (so I don't restore and write over it). But, I very rarely use the ctrl-s command. I have icons on my tool bar to use "save as" forcing me to choose the right file type. Only after I have done that do I use my "save" icon on the tool bar. I have just gotten into the habit of saving the template with my file name before I do a lot with it. Goes back to a time when PSP would shut down on me and I would lose everything! Thankfully that doesn't happen much anymore but the habit is a good one to have :)

Frumpje likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

That's correct!

But still a great tip!

cfile likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well isn't that a cool trick! Thanks for sharing that! :clap

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When I accidentally save over an original template, I just click back to top of my history, Save As, then click back on the last item in the history and carry on. Of course, I've been lucky enough to notice I do it before too many items have accumulated in my history list.

Frumpje and bestcee like this.
  7. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Omg... im gonna give it a go...i can't twll you how .any times ive done it

8. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm still on CS6, but Crashplan has been a lifesaver when I accidentally save over a template!

Frumpje and bestcee like this.
  9. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

Yes I think it is only working in CC. But I love to find out about this great extra's in photoshop.