Let's talk cheese...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Feb 11, 2020.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

So I have been on a cheese buying spree. Every week I go and buy three different cheeses to try. So far I really like goat gouda and humboldt fog which is a very mild blue cheese. Do you have any favorites? Any recommendations? Do you even like cheese?

umyesh likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I love truffle Gouda , smoked Gouda,fontina (mild & creamy), blue cheese , carmelized leek & morell (whole food stopped carrying) Kerry gold whiskey cheddar & Kerry gold stout cheddar .. I like the little sample ones at Whole Foods too.. that way we try something at a low cost for a ‘new to us’ cheese in case we don’t like it!! goat is really good too! Enjoy your cheese hunt!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm pretty boring. I love extra sharp cheddar. I do like havarti and gouda and other specialty cheeses, but I don't usually buy them. My step-mom works for a specialty food company, so I have tried many cheeses! LOL

cfile likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So I guess you already know that I love cheese :)
    [​IMG]
    My favorite is extra sharp cheddar. I also love pepper jack, monterey jack, blue cheese, colby, colby jack, feta, swiss, provolone, parmesan, cottage cheese, cream cheese...:giggle...those are the ones I buy most often. Occasionally, gouda and gruyère. My least favorite is American, unless I'm making a grilled cheese.

5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We like the flavored cheeses from Aldi.

The one with pepperoni in it makes an AMAZING pizza!!!
    csm_061417_R_49583_SPS_HandCraftedCheese_PepperoniMarinara_detail3_794c63c4ea.jpg
    Don't like my Mom's favorite cheese- Bleu. Havarti, yep.
    Cottage cheese and cream cheese make me
    [​IMG]
    We had a rule in our house that we had to eat a few bites of every thing offered at a meal. I would try to hide the cottage cheese in my napkin. Worked most times. It literally makes me ill. Since cream cheese is mostly in desserts, we were able to pass on that one. (We had the rule due to being in a Christian Children's Home with state health regulations and menus)

weaselwatchr likes this.
  6. weaselwatchr

Not a fan of Cottage cheese either. All I can think about Little Miss Muffet eating her curds and whey and how that's cottage cheese and eww. lol

AJK and umyesh like this.
  7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Tillamook medium cheddar is our family go-to. I just bought some sharp and extra sharp to try this week. My personal favorite is deli sliced baby swiss but I can eat a pound in one sitting so I try not to buy it regularly haha

weaselwatchr and AJK like this.
  8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@weaselwatchr HA! When I was in grade school I thought it was "turds and way". Probably didn't help that we took a field trip to a dairy plant and saw cottage cheese made. It smelled a lot. Funny what the brain remembers!
    OH! And that reminds me- we made our own Mozzarella once. It was easy and good!

cfile and weaselwatchr like this.
  9. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I don’t eat a whole lot of cheese and definitely no soft cheeses as I’m mostly lactose intolerant and have been for 9 years now

10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not a big fan of cheese. I don't like eating it off of a cheese tray at all. I don't like cheese on my hamburgers either. About the only things I will eat that have a lot of cheese are pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese. I do have one recipe for what mom and I called gravy and cheese fries that I absolutely love. That recipe uses mild cheddar.

I know absolutely nothing about specialty cheeses!

11. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Duh, I live in Wisconsin, land of cheese. I love Gouda and Havarti. Colby Jack is my mainstay cheese along with a good cheddar. Baby Swiss when it's Reuben sandwich time, provolone on steak sandwiches. DH goes for Pepper Jack.

cfile and Karen like this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love cheese! I love all the normal/typical ones for cooking with and I really love when friends buy the fancy cheeses to nibble on with crackers and wine or whatever, so I'll go to the store to buy cheese and I just stare and the millions of choices and freeze. Ha ha! I never know which ones I'll like and they are more expensive, so I just chicken out and don't ever buy any. Plus, my husband is cheese obsessed. If I bought a brick of fancy cheese, he would eat it in one sitting. :giggle He's NOT a nibbler. He hacks off two inch pieces and pops them in his mouth all at once! {eyeroll} That's kinda not the point of getting good cheese.

cfile likes this.
  13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I love cheese & now that I'm eating more mindfully and healthfully (?), I eat a lot more of it. My current new love is sprinkling Feta on things. I have a Greek sheet pan chicken & veg recipe that tastes like Heaven with some Feta on top.

14. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am totally boring, Cheddar, feta, mozzarella and sweetmilk/gouda.

15. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Color me boring ... I love cheddar cheese in all it's forms ... mild, medium, sharp, extra sharp, Wisconsin, New York, Vermont white sharp ... Swiss (LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches made with Swiss), provolone, mozzarella (cheese sticks w/tomato based dip. Not a fan of cream cheese, although I do use it in recipes. I will eat cottage cheese, but sometimes I like it better than other times ... it's so nasty looking, LOL! Pepper Jack in a roasted pepper dip recipe I have.

16. weaselwatchr

I am a big fan of goat cheeses. Our Kroger did a remodel and they have sample size cheeses that are between $2 and $5 to try. Once a week I pick up some. It’s usually dinner when I close at work. It’s been fun trying things we never would have tried. Although hubby is not very adventurous but at least he tries a bite. Oh well more cheese for me!

bestcee and cfile like this.
  17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't eat a lot of cheese anymore. I actually cut it out completely for over 2 yrs but recently have started to re-introduce a bit into my diet. If I eat too much it bothers my stomach. I've been enjoying some cheeses from Trader Joes. They have a cheddar blend that is really good, I think it's called unexpected cheddar. They have another cheddar blend with gruyere too that I didn't see last time I was there so hope they still carry it. I love that on burgers.

I like soft cheeses that I can blend into potatoes, cauli rice, casseroles, etc. Trader Joes organic light cream cheese is good for that.

Yes, you can see I'm a Trader Joes addict :)

18. weaselwatchr

oh, recipe please, lol

LeeAndra likes this.
  19. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We're big cheese fans around here! Our favorite lunch is multiple kinds of cheeses, crackers and antipasto, raw veggies and hummus.
    I love the Snowdonia cheeses - Black Bomber extra mature cheddar and their Red Devil - very spicy!
    Blue cheese faves are Bress Bleu, Stilton, Shropshire Blue, Gorgonzola and Roquefort.
    Spiced Dutch gouda and aged Edam, parmesan, feta, halloumi, ricotta, swiss, mozzarella.

I refuse to buy orange cheese. I can't figure why the powers that be thought it a good idea to add dye to cheese!! Its disgusting!

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I don't eat a lot of cheese but I do like it. I'm mostly pretty boring. I'm not afraid to try anything. I do like a lot of different cheese but don't tend to buy them very often.

Oh, I do eat a lot of cottage cheese!