appetizers | pad patter 2.4.20

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Feb 4, 2020.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Have you ever had a whole meal that was just appetizers? We did on Sunday at my husband’s family Super Bowl party… Yum! We couldn’t think of what to take so hubby smoked a salmon to serve with crackers and we also whipped up some deviled eggs. There was a nacho bar, hot wings, meatballs, little smokies, potato chips and dip, brownies and cake pops.

I thought it was kind of fun to have a whole meal of just appetizers and I want to come up with a list of more appetizers for next time. What are your favorite appetizers?

LoveItScrapIt and cfile like this.
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Yes, I just had a Superbowl party that was all apps. It's actually my preference. Apps are my favorite. Tapas places are great too!

I had Drip Beef Sandwiches in the crock pot (like slider size), Wings, Spin Dip, Cheese/Meat Platter, 6 Layer Mexican Dip, Beer Bread & Dip, Mozzarella Stick, Puff Pastries (Potato, Chicken Pot Pie, Buffalo Chicken), Pigs in a Blanket, and Mac & Cheese.

We had a LOT of food, lol! Usually DH smokes a pork shoulder so we make pulled pork, but he was off skiing and got back Sunday midday!

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've done finger foods for Xmas and NYE and other occasions. Great way to have a variety, something for everyone. I love guacamole (made fresh, never stuff from a container!) and hummus and this veggie dip I make (eggplant, tomato, bell pepper, onion, all sautéed until soft and processed to desired consistency. I like Wegman's frozen appetizers too, for their variety and convenience, but rarely get them, because they're expensive.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Yes! We have started doing this on Christmas Day instead of having a huge meal. That was people can eat when and whenever they want.

My favorite appetizer is marinated artichoke hearts. But here's a list of appetizers that we've used in the past, for Christmas, as well as other times.
    1. mini pigs in a blanket using refrigerator biscuits and little smokies hot dogs
    2. Swedish meatballs
    3. Monte Cristo Sliders: Slice a whole package of Hawaiian rolls in half, then layer on ham, turkey & Swiss cheese. Brush with an egg wash and bake until warm and cheese is melted. Dust with powdered sugar, cut into pieces and serve. https://www.southyourmouth.com/2014/10/monte-cristo-party-sliders.html?m=1
    4. cheese and cracker tray
    5. pickled herring(!)
    6. Fresh pickled cucumbers with dill: http://www.swedishfood.com/swedish-food-recipes-side-dishes/61-cucumber-with-dill
    7. mini quiches
    8. Crispy Garlic Rosemary Roasted Potatoes (YUM!) https://letsdishrecipes.com/market-monday-crispy-garlic-rosemary-smashed-potatoes-2
    9. Hot artichoke dip
    10. hummus w/ pita & vegetables for dipping I like this avocado hummus recipe: https://joythebaker.com/2014/01/creamy-avocado-hummus/
    11. Caprese bites: marinated mini mozzerlla balls, cherry tomato basil leaf on a toothpick
    12. "Grinch" fruit skewers: https://nourishingminimalism.com/grinch-kabobs/
    13. Layered bean dip and tortilla chips
    14. Virginia ham biscuits: Virginia ham, sweet mustard, diced white onion and white cheddar on a buttermilk biscuit, all warmed up. YUM!
    15. And lots and lots of cookies, bars, brownies and candies!!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We usually do that for Christmas Eve :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I do that pretty often when we have people coming over. I did it at Christmas as well. It was easy to have the stuff out whenever company came by. Some of my favs:
    Buffalo Chicken Dip
    Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
    Cocktail weiners in apple jelly/mustard sauce
    Sliders - chicken, pulled pork, etc
    Jalapeno Popper Crescent Cups
    French Dip Pinwheels
    Garlic Cheese Bombs
    I absolutely love appetizers for meals! Grazing food is my favorite :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love to make a baked brie. It's easy and beautiful. Put some green sprigs around it and some cranberries. They make green and red jelly that's so pretty to serve with it + some pretty crackers.

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Yes. I love appetizers as meals!

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We've done appetizers at my aunt's for Christmas before, and then one time at my dad's as well. It's a nice change. I don't really have a fave. I love it all! LOL

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We've been doing this at Christmas for a couple of years now and I love it! With 4 teen boys in the house, they love it too... they graze all day long!

I like the simplest things best, like cut up fruit, veggies, crackers and cheese. I also did a crock pot of meatballs too. My hubby makes pinwheel sandwiches that are always a favorite too... tortillas with a cream cheese and onion spread, then a layer of sliced ham. Roll it up and slice into sections. Yummy!

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Back in my 'overseas life' we did a lot of entertaining and dinner parties so the primary section of my cookbooks used to be appetizers. I too love the variety of appetizers and will still have 2 or 3 as an entree while out to dinner here.

Ones I recall from the Old Days are the meatballs in barbeque sauce & grape jelly, homemade chicken liver pate, cream cheese block topped with a pineapple jalapeño sauce, bacon-chicken meatballs (easy since you freeze both chicken and bacon pieces then chop the slightly defrosted mix in a Cuisinart etc, then sauté the meatballs - I think I added cilantro in SE Asia and probably parsley elsewhere). We also lived without things like potato chips or doritos so more things were made. Dips were not common and if served it would be with vegetables BUT I could eat a container of sour cream onion dip! or my absolute favorite is a crab/artichoke dip but made with sour cream not mayo and baked. o m g I'm the one who never moves on to anything else but happily 'guards' that casserole.

Now it seems more people my age...sigh...don't do appetizers except when out and things like Super Bowl tend to be chile, Doritos and onion dip. No culinary thrills!!

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Yumm! This is our Christmas Eve tradition - lots of snacks/appetizers and treats!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We do this for Christmas Eve and did it for our Superbowl Party too!

For the Superbowl Party I just made BBQ chicken sliders, egg rolls and a veggie tray. Everyone else who came brought something. There were these little pizza croissants that were good. Caramel Corn, cookies, pickle rolls, chips and salsa...and more!

One of my favorite and easy things for Christmas Eve is Cream Cheese with Pepper Jelly and you just dip crackers in it. Yum!

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

garlic sauteed mushrooms

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. Susan - s3js

Susan - s3js Well-Known Member

Scotch eggs
    Chicken salad with almonds, grapes, and apples, dusted with curry powder with crackers or breads

cookingmylife likes this.
  16. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

Cheese dip in a bread bowl (I ALWAYS get asked for the recipe)...not low calorie, lol.
    Mix 8 is cream cheese with 2 cups sharp cheddar and 1 cup salsa.
    Spoon into hollowed out sheepherders
    Loaf, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour.
    Serve with extra bread

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

mmmmmm appetisers! Yum, my favour way to graze!

[​IMG]