When it rains... | Pad Patter 7 Feb

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Feb 7, 2020.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So after lots of heat and fire this summer, we are now having buckets of rain (literally! we have a dozen or so buckets outside everytime it rains but this time they are already more than half full!). It is wonderful and i would never dream of complaining about it (i think as a country, we probably aren't allowed to complain about it unless it rains continuously for like the next 3 years or so) but such a great volume of it, all at once also presents it's own problems. Between crashes and people driving thru flood water locally, tow truck drivers are probably doing a great trade but i'm planning a wet weekend of 'not much' - what's your fave thing to do when it rains?

i find rain quite calming (as long as i'm not driving in it) & i love watching it. And i would have thought our plants would love it too but i read about plants getting panicked by rain because it tends to spread disease and they can't move or avoid it so they release stress chemicals (i thought it was interesting anyway, it's here if you are a happy plant geek too)
    Have a great weekend :)

KarenB likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I am in a similar boat....was so happy to hear rain the other night after a particularly hot and humid 30 degrees celsius day (normally only get to 26 maybe 28 on a really hot day here) as I knew the humidity would almost drop instantly

nw actually answering the question, my fave thing would be curling up and having me time. If it’s only showers I might still go out but as I hate going down (& up to be fair) my back stairs when it’s really bad weather I tend to be a homebody

KarenB and bellbird like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

It came down like crazy yesterday and has been raining through the night here too.. it is very windy so far this morning and not really raining right now, but may get wet later . Stay dry!

BevG, KarenB and bellbird like this.
  4. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Welcome to my 'living in the UK' world :giggle I am so glad you have rain at last! We have had a very soggy winter, and even though I am used to lots of rain, I have to say it's getting old now. But I do love to be inside crafting on a rainy day. When it chucks it down all day and I am inside looking out. Bliss!!!

bellbird likes this.
  5. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I have a sunroom with a metal roof and a day bed swing with many pillows. If it isn’t too cold (it is not heated), I like to relax, read and listen to the drops! Hoping for spring weather soon (today in Denver it is a high of 30 F and lightly snowing all day, great for the ski resorts, not so great for running errands).

bellbird likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm really glad that you all have gotten the rain! We've had a lot of rain, too. So much so that we got out of school early yesterday because of flooding and are out today. Nothing to worry about at my house because I am on top of a mountain...if it floods here, someone better build an ark! But, I feel so bad about those who have been hit hard yesterday and today. It's super strange, though, because it's February and we should be getting lots of snow and temps have been crazy warm for this time of year. I do love a good dark rainy day once in awhile to just slow everything down and relax. They are perfect for napping :). I just don't like weeks of it lol.

bellbird likes this.
  7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

A rainy day to me is the perfect time to snuggle in my favorite chair with a book and a cup of tea.

bellbird likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I love rainy days IF I can stay home. I don't mind running Daniel to school and picking him up because it's so close to the house, but further driving in the rain is not my favorite. My legs don't work as they should under sunny and dry conditions, so I'm always filled with anxiety, worrying if I'm gonna fall on a wet surface.

So if I'm at home, I love to get on my fave PJs or granny gown, and settle in with a book, cross stitch while watching TV or movies, or scrapbook. I love a rainy day nap when I hear the rain hitting the cast iron plant outside our window. It makes such a lovely pattering sound.

Super glad y'all finally got rain!

bellbird likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Rainy days and snowy days, I love to watch from inside. We had a light coating of snow overnight and are having flurries now. So every so often I go to the sliding door and look out. Freshly fallen snow is pretty (just hate going out when there is a lot of it). And, when it rains in the summer, I have been known to stand in my garage and watch it if it is a really hard and fast rainfall. Usually with camera in hand trying to get that awesome shot of raindrops hitting the ground. LOL

bellbird likes this.
  10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Rain in summer! Love. We play in it, get muddy, dance and enjoy every moment.
    Winter rain is achey for me, the wet cold feels like knives in my body. I don’t even like to look at it. Haha. I close all the windows, turn up the heat, boil a huge pot of water, so humidity is dripping inside.

bellbird likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I grew up in western WA & moved away from the rain & grey skies! ;) I will say- when it's nice & sunny on the west side- there is no place more beautiful! Here in eastern WA, We get some rain, but not too much. This winter however, it's been really warm so more rain than snow which is weird. It'll snow one day, then rain the next. gross! In the summertime (which you are having now right?) a good rain is kind of welcome to bring down the heat! I like to listen to the rain hit the roof & usually stay in, read/watch movies day. My kids are still the ages where they don't care if they get wet- so they play outside a lot in the rain!

bellbird likes this.
  12. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I love being at home, not having to go out and do anything. Copious amounts of tea and binge watching something is top of my list.

bellbird likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@IntenseMagic We were in the storms yesterday, but thankfully we did not have the severe weather. Just a pond in the front yard for now. Other places nearby were not so fortnuate and suffered damage of various kinds. Since the tornados two weeks ago with schools getting hit, hubster's school was anxious about the forecast and cancelled activities and locked up the property promptly at 3 in anticipation of severe weather.
    ... @AnneofAlamo Me too- when rain is on the way and arrives, I don't sleep well- hip, shoulder joint pain. I deal with some S.A.D. But I try to keep the perspective that there is much worse suffering in life and I am not experiencing it!
    What do I do on a rainy day? Usually movies IF I don't have a current WIP in the studio, which isn't often. The studio is in the back side of the house and gets sunshine the latter part of the day. Rainy days make it especially challenging. I did find a really cool light bulb- DAYLIGHT bulb for my studio that literally lights up the room! I got it at Lowes.

14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

So glad you are getting relief in the form of rain. I love to crack my windows open at night if it’s raining so I can fall asleep to the sound of it, so relaxing!

bellbird likes this.
  15. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Thank goodness you finally got rain as those fires were devastating. I saw photos of the horrible air quality.

I live in Seattle which really equals rain (and coffee). It is not a pleasant rain but a constant cold drizzle with matching gray skies-avg. 19 days of rain per month. I used to love the warm Midwest rains. Surprisingly Seattle is quite dry in the summer where you can go a whole month without a drop of rain.

bellbird likes this.
  16. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're finally getting rain, but I'm sorry it's another form of extreme weather! We've had a rainy week here but nothing like some of you are getting. It's the middle of winter, but we've had a warm week--highs from 50 to nearly 70 degrees. This should have been a big snow storm, not warm and rainy!

bellbird likes this.
  17. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Where I live in Australia, we are also getting lots of rain. On Monday the pond my husband, Ken has started to make got filled with rain so for fun I took a photo which I will share.
    I enjoy listening to and watching rain.... not storms though. I took photos of the clouds before a storm hit us on Monday night which caused us to lose power for about 5 hours. Ken and I played cards ( euchre ) and Upwords by lamp light which was fun as it is some time since we have done that together.
    Here is the muddy pond:
    IMG_5687.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    bellbird likes this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

SO glad that you finally got relief with the rain, but now it sounds like the "monsoons" are starting. We have rain most everyday in the summer, so I can relate to long periods of rain. We get all of our rain in the summer, so it has to last us for the rest of the year.

bellbird likes this.
  19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We actually had flood warnings going off all day yesterday. We got so much rain. Our rivers were full. Some roads were flooded. It has stopped and we got some snow flurries today. We went from 65 degrees for the high yesterday to around 35 today. It's been crazy weather.

bellbird and BevG like this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We just got lots of rain and a tornado or two in the state. They were short lived and the damage was minimum. Supposed to be cold for the next couple of days and then warm again. I am ready for Spring, but we could still get a snowstorm because this is the south.

To do? stay under the heated blanket and scrap of course!

bellbird and AJK like this.