Discovered something I did not know in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by A-M, Feb 4, 2020.

1. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

By chance I came across the following tutorial about the script "Load Files into Stack" which I did not realise I have in my CS6.
    HERE is the Tutorial

I have often wondered if there was a way to grab a few PNG files and add to a layout at the same time. This sort of works as it brings them layered but not onto the open canvas. I then needed to have them all selected and then drag them onto my open canvas with them still having their file name show in the layers palette.

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@A-M Very neat Anne-Marie - Thanks for sharing!. I have never used that before but that definitely will help the people that are missing the "bin" when they convert from PSE to PSCC... this Load Files into Stack can act as their "bin" and they can grab and move...

Also didn't know if you were aware, instead of dragging from one workspace to another if you right click and say Duplicate, it will ask "where you want to duplicate it to".. If your new workspace is called "untitled 1" when you right click and duplicate your layer with that element in the layer panel, you can duplicate it INTO your new workspace :) I do that all the time with templates etc. :) That will work too for you instead of the dragging :)

SeattleSheri and keepscrappin like this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Great tips! I’ll have to remember these when I try cc.

cfile likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hmm, I select a bunch of pngs from file explorer and just drag/drop them onto the canvas as my normal practice. This is especially useful with a group of flowers that I think I will be clustering.

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

This is what I do - I drag multiple objects onto my canvas in Photoshop. It retains the object names so I know the designer and product name.

Are you not able to drag directly onto your canvas in PSCS6?

Ferdy likes this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I do this as well. it's how I've always done it. Lately though, I have been doing the same thing with Bridge. I have double monitors so I just open the kit folder in Bridge and pull the pieces into the layout I'm working on in PSCC.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  7. A-M

Yes, but it loses the file name.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

Boooo! Time to upgrade! LOL Or just use the load to stack feature. ;)

9. A-M

I was just playing around with Bridge which I have rarely ever used and it works great at choosing a few PNGs and dragging them in without losing the file name. The only drawback for me personally is that I cannot see the preview of the kit before opening it. I have a lot of kits with the preview as the file cover.
    I think I will prefer using bridge over the stacking script thing I shared the tutorial for.

10. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

That's interesting. I have both CS6 and CC installed. I just tested it and both of mine retain the file name when dragging from Windows File Explorer. I wonder if it's a setting in some preference? :think

(My CS6 is Extended Version 13.1.2 x32 if that makes any difference.)

cfile likes this.
  11. A-M

@cfile @keepscrappin @BevG @gonewiththewind @LoveItScrapIt @KimJ
    Everyone who shared replies here... forget about the tutorial I just shared.

I have been digital scrapping since 2008 - first with PSE6 then CS3 and since 2012- CS6 and today after Kim's reply I thought " now what have I not been doing correctly?"
    I have always either gone to "file" then "place" or "open" to then find my digi files and drag from there.
    I have never ever used " File Explorer" so I did a google search to find out exactly what it is ..... WOW! why did I not know about this before. All I now need to do is hold down CTRL when choosing what I want to drag in from a certain file onto my canvas.

so a great big THANKYOU to all of you for making me think about what I have been doing.

BevG, KimJ, gonewiththewind and 2 others like this.
  12. cfile

Mine (PS CC) and even when I used CS3, has always retained the file name in my layers panel as I "Place Embedded" my images etc in my workspace. I do not drag from Windows Explorer. I hate a whole bunch of files in my workspace to close.

This Stack method is perfect though for those PSE to PS CC converters who miss the photo bin.. this stack allows them to use it as a make shift "layer" bin and works basically just like the photo bin works in PSE except being all in the bin is all in layers in one spot on seperate layers.

13. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

If you drag onto your open canvas, it adds them as named layers in the document, not as open separate documents. There's nothing to close. Basically the same as placing embedded, but just a click and drag instead of navigating through a menu (or using a keyboard shortcut if you've assigned one). I you're only interested in a piece at a time, it's not a big difference, but if you need a whole bunch of things at once, like for a cluster, it can save a lot of steps. I would go crazy trying to make my previews for my shop if I had to open everything one at a time. :giggle

cfile likes this.
  14. cfile

Thanks Kim.. I am a one piece at a time person LOL I understand that re making previews.. yup that would be crazy one at a time!! :glomp

KimJ likes this.
  15. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

This is so great! I ALWAYS use it! And I used it since CS2 :funfun

16. gonewiththewind

Yayyyy! You will be scrapping so much faster now. :)

A-M likes this.
  17. Tracie Stroud

Tracie Stroud Active Member

Yay! Load files into Layers from Bridge is one of my favorite tricks.