PSE2020 - I'm crying

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by LynnZant, Feb 3, 2020.

1. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

My hard drive failed beginning of this year, so I've had to get Windows 10 (going from 7) on a new machine. PSE 5 (yes 5) wasn't supported, so I had to jump to PSE 2020. It took me three hours to scrap my first simple page. It's just so cumbersome and hard to work with. I can't seem to do even the basic things like changing a font color with it's number, move a layer that's hidden under another layer because I can't touch it with my mouse, work on two layouts side by side, etc. Why are updates only "new" but never "improved?" Seems like they take existing stuff and just move it around so you can't find it and take away features that actually work. And, Adobe's help section doesn't seem to have a lot of scrapbookers there asking questions that pertain to our hobby.

The sickening thing is I paid a lot of money to a data recovery company to get back my scrapping supplies. Now, I don't even want to scrap any more. Maybe if I keep at it I would get used to the changes, but I'm old and "I don't wanna!!!" learn new things. I just want it to work. ha ha I guess it's my fault for being such a dinosaur.

Thanks for letting me rant! I should dry my tears and go do something else positive with my day.

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

oh Lynn! take a week away...and I am right behind you..my computer is old and so slow...I put an element on, and go and do dishes, then click okay. crazy...but I still do it..
    I am going to go from cs5 to the cloud cs(way more than what I have now)
    I just can't see the color change with numbers being right.
    I recommend, getting your favorite snack and watch a few youtube videos to show you...
    then take a layout you did before, and redo it with your new program (muscle memory is so strong)
    hugs and I love your pages, hope it works out!

AJK likes this.
  3. gypzywind

gypzywind Guest

eY tHERE ((((((((( @LynnZant))))))))) ... stay with it n' yoU'll mazter it again like yoU did with PSE 5 ... !!!

not sure if the PSE 2020 will B' my choice for the new MacBook prO here ... or look iNto going back to Corel Draw (now that it'z available for MACz) ... ???

stay pozitive n' enJOY learning ALL the NEW MAG!C ... will try to help yoU from here ... sending GoOD energiez yOUR way

... echOez of thanX n' hOpe

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2020
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@LynnZant

I'm so sorry! Just moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is going to be a huge change for you . . . and then to add moving from PSE 5 to 2020! I started out on 5 as well and there were a lot of changes between 5 and 11, and then again from 11 to 18 (which is the last version I purchased). Anyway, I was paying for CC because I wanted Lightroom, but was still scrapping in PSE most of the time, and just dabbling with PSCC. I finally just had to make myself stop using PSE. It did take a bit of time for me to grow accustomed to the new workspace, tools, shortcuts, but I am so glad that I did it. I'm encouraging you to give yourself grace. You are making a HUGE jump in software capabilities. Take your time and know that the software that you have now is capable of doing some really cool things!

I did a workspace set up for PSE11 . . . I don't know if you would find it helpful, but here it is:

5. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Oh, I feel your frustration. Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago when I bought a new laptop and had to "upgrade" to a newer version of PSE. The newer version drove me nuts, and I finally broke down and got a subscription to CC.

6. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

If you’re going to learn basically a while new program, I’d consider a creative cloud subscription and jump to Photoshop!

7. LynnZant

Does it work like PSE used to? And, isn't it like $20 a month? I'm not sure that I could justify that expense for my hobby.

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm sorry! I hate having to switch programs. Especially if things are in a different place!
    I don't have PSE20, I have PSE14, but I'm happy to help if I can. Adobe may not have a community of scrapbookers, but we do! Post your questions and we'll all try to help as much as possible!

I will say my favorite part of going from pse10 to PSE14 was the ease of loading brushes and styles. So much easier than finding the folder to add them in.

AJK likes this.
  9. LynnZant

@gonewiththewind
    Thanks for the video, Cheryl! I needed that about a week ago. LOL The fact that I can no longer chose a layer, drop in a flower on top of that layer, and move it around is just so sad to me. I'm such a basic person and don't need fancy stuff, but I can't even have simple things. Maybe I'll power watch your scrapping videos and feel better about it.

I still have to get my stuff from data recovery. That's going to take forever to get the pics and supplies onto the new machine. I'm hoping it comes today or tomorrow. Maybe a hard drive full of pretties will force me to buckle down and deal with it. :)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. LynnZant

@bestcee

I've read about that some time ago, and that does sound nice. I guess I do have a few basic questions that would at least get me started:

1. Is there a way to lock in the layer you want to drag something on top of and them move it around? Unless my mouse touches some part of the layer, it puts my new layer where ever it wants. And if I do manage to get that new layer where I want it (like a flower which is automatically centered on the page) and it is hidden behind other papers and elements, is there a way to select it so that I can move it? I've had to rotate the element slightly then I can move it around the page.

2. To use my tools (like cut or move) with an element or paper that I have dragged onto a layered file (like selecting a part of it to move or promote to a new layer) do I really need to simplify the layer first? That seems to be the only way to use my tools. And, I didn't find a keyboard shortcut to simplify (or rasterize) a layer.

3. Is there a way to change my font color by using it's number? My favorite font color is 322512 brown, but now it only gives me a pallet of colors instead of a place to add the numbers.

I have a million more questions, but these are basic ones to get me scrapping again. Thanks for any help!

cfile likes this.
  11. gypzywind

gypzywind Guest

hiya (((((((((dear seaSTAR @bestcee))))))))) ... would yoU B' on a MAC tHERE ... ? the brushez for adding a stitch iz cloze to Being pur$hazed here (iN tHAt cART!) ... it would mean a firzt time and alzo a firzt for adding/loading brushez n' styles here ... watched a couple of videOz on loading them but quite sure it waz for a pc/windOwz ... looked like a LOT to navigate ... ???

... echOez of thanX n' hOpe

12. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

This is what I was going to suggest. I haven't used PSE in years but honestly photoshop is so much easier. It's 10/mo for the photography bundle, you get photoshop, lightroom and bridge primarily. It will be different at first but once you play around and get the hang of it, you will love it. I hate change too.

13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Hi Lynn.. @LynnZant I will answer some of your questions and will note in red: I use PSE15
    ----------------------------------
    Lynn: I've read about that some time ago, and that does sound nice. I guess I do have a few basic questions that would at least get me started:

1. Is there a way to lock in the layer you want to drag something on top of and them move it around? Unless my mouse touches some part of the layer, it puts my new layer where ever it wants. And if I do manage to get that new layer where I want it (like a flower which is automatically centered on the page) and it is hidden behind other papers and elements, is there a way to select it so that I can move it? I've had to rotate the element slightly then I can move it around the page. See screen shot below.. with the autoselect checked I can just grab the element, but if it is hiding below something, I click on the layer and then use my arrow to move it out a bit and then grab it with the mouse to move it where I want. You can lock a layer but that will lock that layer in place and not allow you to move it. The lock is up at the top of the layer panel. The element when you bring it in unfortunately automatically places it in the center.
    auto select.JPG

2. To use my tools (like cut or move) with an element or paper that I have dragged onto a layered file (like selecting a part of it to move or promote to a new layer) do I really need to simplify the layer first? That seems to be the only way to use my tools. And, I didn't find a keyboard shortcut to simplify (or rasterize) a layer. There is no shortcut to simplify layer. You can right click on the layer and it will bring up a drop down box & choose simplify layer or go to Layer>Simplify Layer. You will need to simplify the layer if you are going to do anything to the item except for adding styles. NOTE: You can MOVE your element around without simplifying it.

3. Is there a way to change my font color by using it's number? My favorite font color is 322512 brown, but now it only gives me a pallet of colors instead of a place to add the numbers. YES See screen shot:
    color picker.JPG

I have a million more questions, but these are basic ones to get me scrapping again. Thanks for any help!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let us know what else we can help with!

A-M likes this.
  14. cfile

It is $10 per month for the photgrapher package and that include PS CC and Light Room

15. cfile

bestcee likes this.
  16. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@LynnZant . Linda gave me the best piece of advice as regards the way PSE load new elements on whatever layer it wants to. If you hold down Ctrl when you have just put something on the page, even if it is 7 layers down and you cant see it , you can still move it !

cfile likes this.
  17. LynnZant

@cfile Thanks so much Christa! It looks like everything is more cumbersome like having to simplify everything single thing and having to change a font color in the color picker instead of right from the fonts tool.
    @Nemla I could hug you! Now I can at least move hidden stuff around.

If I could just lock in the layer that I want to drag stuff on top of, I think that I could scrap again. Maybe not well, but not have a page take three hours. LOL

Thanks for the helpful tips, ladies!

18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hey @LynnZant - I'm not sure if this is going to be the same for 2020, but check this out for me:

Go to EDIT>PREFERENCES>GENERAL and then under options, you can choose to DISABLE SMART OBJECTS. Uncheck that box, and then close out PSE2020 and then reopen. Then try pulling things in again to see if the behavior is more like it was in PSE5. There are loads of reasons why smart objects are fantastic because of non-destructive sizing and edits, so I'd recommend reading up on them and how you can use adjustment layers, etc., to edit a smart object. But for now, maybe this will get you into a better place so you are scrapping more like you are used to. Tag me and let me know if this works.

cfile and bestcee like this.
  19. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@LynnZant I use CS6 but do have PSE15 on my computer. I found this youtube for PSE 2020 and thought it might help with some basics for you:

20. Tracie Stroud

Tracie Stroud Active Member

Oh no I feel your pain! Every time they update Photoshop or Illustrator, even with small changes, it really throws me off for a while. I can't imagine dealing with such a huge change all at once! Youtube videos are my go-to for stuff like this. I really need to watch someone do the things I'm trying to learn and that will usually get it to click. A lot of it is muscle memory too, so after a while of playing with it, you'll probably get to the point where you don't have to even think about what you're doing.