January 26 - Youer Than You Photography and Journaling Combo Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by gonewiththewind, Jan 26, 2020.

1. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Actually, my much older than me mother in law takes more selfies than I do. Because, in her words, there's no one around to take a photo and she wants her grandkids to remember her when she's gone.

I don't think I fit the young and pretty part of your post, but I do know that I'll take some selfies here and there. Because it's important to me to be in the photo. It's important to me to have proof I was on vacation too. I love the few photos I have of my mom from when I was growing up and I'm sad there are not more. But, I also know why there are not more: because I remember her constantly trying to lose a few pounds or on another diet. She may have been overweight, but she was still my mom. And honestly? She avoided photos over 10-15lbs overweight.
    So, rejoice in who you are regardless of what you look like. Not having photo evidence of me at this moment, high weight, acne-prone time in my life isn't going to change that I was all of those. I would much rather my son sees me in photos and sees that I was there rather than wondering where mom was. If I die tomorrow, I don't want my son to have no photos of me. I would rather he had a ton and could pick his favorites.

Sorry for the soapbox. I hate when women don't consider themselves worth being in the picture because of their looks. I hate it when men do the same. My husband has less than 10 photos of his dad after he became quadriplegic because he didn't want to be in the photos. Less than 10 covering 5 years. But that's how my husband mostly remembers his dad and it makes him sad there are not more photos.

3. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Here is mine... 108 words

Was frustrated to find that my selfie stick no longer works with my phone... upgrades I guess??? VERY irritating, because I really liked my selfie stick, although I had not used it in a long time... I see I put the wrong date on the page.... I do know today is the 26th!!!! and the photo was taken today!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    gonewiththewind and SeattleSheri like this.
  4. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Hi.... Several years ago I was hospitalized, and I chose to record that event in my life... with a photo and a page in my album... I say go for it!!!!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I’m not saying we shouldn’t BE in photos. I’m just observing that young, slender, pretty people ARE the ones who love to take selfies, for the most part. Most older, chubby, wrinkly, sagging people don’t do a lot of selfies. Just sharing an observation. Not making a judgement.

6. Mary-Lynne

Mary-Lynne Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Challenge! Word Counter says 92 words. Credits in Gallery
    Over the years, my hair has been a thousand different lengths and a
    few different colors! I was lucky to be blessed with thick hair that will
    hold almost any style and that also grows fast. Both of these allow
    me to try just about anything, knowing I can recover quickly! Right
    now I’m growing it out...just a bit more and I have it a little redder
    than it used to be. I tend to get bored easily, so who knows how
    long this will last...probably till next summer’s heat rolls in!
    [​IMG]

7. Skivvy

Skivvy Well-Known Member

I altered my selfie on the left quite extensively with filters and the little photo on the right is also a selfie taken this morning.

[​IMG]

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

It seems like the word "selfie" is quite contentious. Perhaps we could reframe it as "a photo of yourself, made by yourself"? Does that change things? Live and let selfie. Because I know everyone has different reasons not to want a photo of themselves (regardless of who actually clicks the shutter), but we are here as scrapbookers. We are here as recorders. We are here as preservers. We are here as artists--and how many artists paint/sculpt/etc self portraits? Yet how many of us get wrapped up in telling--and photographing--everyone else's story but our own?

I hope everyone can stop denigrating selfies (whatever the reasoning) simply because they aren't their own preferred method of photography.

9. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

Oh Cheryl . . . I'm so glad I'm not shooting for the grand prize, because your challenge would have done it for me!
    Not saying I won't do this challenge, but I won't ever post it online as I never share myself. I really do like the lighting and selfie tutorials that you included your challenge! It's very informative and I really appreciate it! Knowledge is power and you equipped really nicely! <3

10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I've never been fond of having my photo taken, even when I was young, slender and cute. So there's that. Then there's the issue of being able to hold my phone and hit the shutter button w/o dropping said phone. Then there's the weird angles which makes my face look odd. That said I do take selfies, but man my selfie skills need practice. I esp. like to take selfies with my grandkids. A friend and I had fun taking selfies of the two of us at Disney last November never mind that most of them were NOT flattering.

Hopefully my GK will look back at those not-so-flattering selfies I took of us and remember the fun we were having at the time. :)

11. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

here goes :)
    [​IMG]
    word count is 118

12. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

I relate to that SO much!! In fact while I was reading it, I laughed so hard the cats came running to make sure I was okay!!!

I'm not a big selfie person, but every time I find one of my family's phones laying around, I pick them up and take a few selfies. Eventually they discover my selfies and whether they delete them or keep them, that's up to them. At least no one can blame for me never being in photos! <3

gonewiththewind, Memaw2Wm and bestcee like this.
  13. bestcee

I don't know what phone you have, I like to turn the back camera to me and use the volume button. It gives a wider frame than the front camera even though I can't see the photo. It's hit and miss still but I like the angle better.

I love that you took selfies with your friend!

14. bestcee

This is awesome!

15. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I love this. My now 14 y.o. grandson (who has always hated having his photo taken) use to take selfies on my iPad ... I loved finding those.

iPhone 6 ... I have it in a Lifeproof case and it's hard to push the volume button, so lots of camera shake. What I need is the new iPhone 11 Pro and an Otterproof case with the built in Pop Socket ... or I need to buy a new Pop Socket for my current phone, LOL!!! Along with more practice ... lots more practice.

17. Tracie Stroud

Tracie Stroud Active Member

I love this Cheryl! Thanks for making us think about ourselves. <3

[​IMG]

January 26 - Youer Than You

Stay Close: Bundle by Rachel Jefferies
    Silent Battles: Grief by Rachel Jefferies and Studio Basic
    Template - 4 Story 1 by LJS Designs
    string - Tracie Stroud
    font - Life Savers

66 words

18. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

This Challenge Seems To Have Brought Out a Different Side Of Everyone Here At The Lilypad...That Goes For Me As Well...I Feel The Same As A Lot Of People Do Here...I Don't Come From The Generation That Was Brought Up Thinking That You Need To Photograph Yourself Everyday?...Really?...Not My Jam At All...But I Do Understand Why People Do This...It May Be Hard To Understand When You Are Alive...But When You Lose Someone...You Always Wish You Had More Time & Photos!!!...But That Being Said...I Don't Make It A Secret Here That My Health Isn't The Best...I Don't Like The Way My Face Looks Anymore...It Has Permanent Scars From When The Blood Clots Made Me Collapse On The Floor & Hit The Door & Door Handle With My Face On The Way Down...I Was Purple For Weeks & In The Hospital As Much...My Eyes Were Swollen Shut For Days & I Have Permanent Lumps,Scars Etc On My Face...I Could Go On But No Need...We All Dislike Things About Ourselves...I'm Just Glad The Rules For This Challenge Allowed Me To Play With Filters...A Lot Of Filters!!!!!!!!!!!...So I Decided To Do An MOC8 Reflection Page About My Time Doing The Challenges...And How Mostly They Were Just That...A Challenge...But I Managed To Persevere With A Little Help & Encouragement & Positive Reinforcement...Meanwhile Back To The Other Part Of My Story...I Have Accepted My Flaws & Frailties...I Just Don't Want Polaroids Of All Of Them On Display For Everyone To See...

*As Per The Rules [With My Pre-Approved [By The Boss Lady Running This Challenge] Filtered Selfie & The Journaling That Required At Least 50 Words...I Have 146 Words Total...

*For My New Adventures & New Discoveries Layout-I Used:

*Once Upon An Imagination-Allison Pennington
    *Mellow-Bundle-Lynn Grieveson
    *Brightsiding/Pure & Simple/Younicorn-Pink Reptile Designs

[​IMG]

19. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Ah. Red makes me so happy!
    Thanks for the great challenge!
    [​IMG]

20. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Ok this was supposed to be a lil piece on my awesome new Bose wireless but somehow the set of pics took after I removed the headphones stuck with me more.

[​IMG]