JANUARY 23: Paint Dipping

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 23, 2020.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Hi everyone! Welcome to Day 23 of the MOC 2020! I'm excited to share with you some ways to create "PAINT DIPPING" on your page. This technique creates a faux-painted look which can be used on elements, wordart and titles.

It is reminiscent of the paper scrapping technique of using ink or paint to stamp or brush onto your page to create focal interest, by drawing attention to a scrapbook item by applying color, tonal contrast, texture, etc. It looks like you dipped the product in ink or paint, which can be a clean straight edged dip or a messy drippy application. It's up to you, have fun with it and see what kind of "paint dipping" you can create on your layout.

Your challenge today is to CREATE PAINT DIPPING on one or more elements, wordart and/or title. You must create your own "paint dipping", not use a product that looks paint dipped.

You may paint a product using a digital brush or you may overlay a digital paint product overtop to simulate "paint dipping". However which way you achieve this look, I want you to create this look yourself, not just using one product that looks paint dipped. The object of this challenge is for you to create your own paint dipped look.

Here are some samples of "paint dipping" and there are 7 red arrows to show you the "paint dipping" that was applied to the elements and titles.

[​IMG]

The "paint dipping" can be applied in a solid stamped application or may be repeatedly swiped, dragged or stamped at a lower opacity, so that each time you apply the brush stroke you are building up the color. Select a brush, choose a color and swipe or stamp onto the element, WA or title. The effect will look as if you dipped into paint.

Before you start "paint dipping", it is recommended that you "lock" your layer so that when you apply your color, it won't bleed onto the layer below it. In photoshop, you may have to "rasterize your layer" before you can "lock" it, by right clicking on the layer and then selecting "rasterize layer" from the menu. You don't have to lock your layer, you may choose to carefully color but I would recommend using a hard edged brush to color along the edge of your product, so that your applied color doesn't spray off the edges. Color slowly and check your coloring to see if you need to "undo" the previous brush stroke. In Photoshop, Control + Z is the undo tool to remove a brush stroke.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick video on how to unlock a layer in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

Here's the layout I created with a paint dipped title. In Photoshop, I rasterized the alpha layers I wanted to add paint to. I then choose a brush (THIS SET), lowered the opacity to about 35%, changed the jitter angle (this is not a necessary step, I like to do this because it rotates the brush each time I stamp with it, as I used an uneven edged brush) and then locked the layers so that I was only stamping color onto the product, not the page (layers) underneath (not a necessary step but advantageous for only coloring onto the chosen layer, not any below it). Because I stamped with a lowered opacity brush, each time I stamped onto the alpha, it built up the color which helps to give it a dripped look.

[​IMG]

A few of our Polly's created pages with "paint dipping".

By Iowan:
    [​IMG]

By MiekSter:
    [​IMG]

CHALLENGE INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Use the PAINT DIPPING technique on one or more elements, wordart or title of your layout.
    GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places.
    • Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    • Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    • Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.
    • Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    crazsquaw, Ferdy, cinna and 4 others like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

This space for any needed clarification:

@Aerobigirl either style works for dipping, you can have a straight paint edge or built up messy edge, it is a personal choice, both ways are acceptable.

@littlekiwi you could use any of the default brushes that come with your software. If needed, erase some off to get the look you want. No special brush is needed.

Angela Toucan has graciously suppled instructions for 2 ways in CRAFT ARTIST

This method gives a flat look - inked style (note the blending modes won't work using this method)
    1. Before adding shadows to your element(s) make a copy of it. Then add your shadows.
    2. Empty layer above the element layer
    3. Masked layer above that one, put the copy of your element(s) in that layer
    4. In the empty layer put transfers/stamps/paint elements or paint using the CA brushes.
    This method allows adding of bevel and 3D styles etc for a thicker paint look, also allows you to use blending modes and makes moving the element later on easier.
    1.Before adding shadows to your element(s) make a copy of it. Then add your shadows.
    2. on the same layer, put 1 paper/transfer/stamp/brush stroke
    3. paste the copied element
    4. Crop the paper/paint etc to that copied element.
    5. repeat 2-4 for additional stamps/paint strokes etc.
    6. apply bevels or lighting effects if you want to.
    7. Select the element and all it's "paint dip" pieces - group together.

@rchansen I found this video on youtube. Hope this helps.

@bumblebeee Thx for the info for Artisan.
    Way 1 - Use the buttons on the TOUCHUP bar. Have your object highlighted, then you can say select paint, and take the 'brush' and brush it across your object. You can adjust the hardness/opacity here, so it can either look like strokes, or be solid....just play around.

Way 2 - Use the straight cut tool. Cut where you want the two colours to end. Now you have both sections. With one section either recolour, fill with paper or play with the hue/wash options to get a colour where you want it. I then flattened them back together to create one object.
    (Note I would make a copy of your finished project and group it together and hide it on your page, just in case you wanted to tweek anything)

crazsquaw likes this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like the layouts from the Pollys are appearing.

Question: The top couple of layouts look like the letters and elements have been dipped directly into an opaque can of paint. I can see exactly how deeply each letter was dipped into the paint. The "Ice Skating" one, though, looks more like the title has been "inked" rather than "dipped." Can you please help me understand what makes that one qualify as "dipped?" I'm seeking to understand so that whatever I do I do correctly. Thanks!

crazsquaw likes this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Love it, thanks.
    [​IMG]
    i dipped the alpha and the pinecone.

jk703 and bcgal00 like this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

this is more of a general question cause i’m being thrifty - does anyone know of any free brushes that would work for this challenge. I hardly use brushes so don’t want to buy something if I can help it.

6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

You don't necessarily need to use a brush. You could add paint from a kit to an item or add a new layer that is filled with a color and clip it to your element and move it down so it looks paint dipped. Adding a slight bevel style and/or adjusting the blending mode can help it look more realistic too. Try darken if you want the dark parts of the layer underneath to show or lighten if you want the lighter areas of the layer underneath to show. HTH

ETA: You could also use the brushes that come with PSE or PSCC. Click on the drop down in the brush picker tool and again by the default brushes. Try the wet media or natural brushes. There should be something there that would work.

bcgal00, Aussiegirl, AJK and 5 others like this.
  7. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Thanks for the fun challenge Rae. I added notes in my page description on what I dipped and what methods I used.

[​IMG]

rrred68, MamaBee, Aerobigirl and 9 others like this.
  8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

thanks so much @keepscrappin for your help

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

This looks fun. Off to the drawing board! :giggle

10. Justagirl

Justagirl Courageously dancing in the rain

Thanks Rae that was a fun challenge! I dipped my diamonds and star in paint and some glitter hope that was okay :) Click on my image it should be the updated version in the gallery.
    [​IMG]

Juliestcyr, Trish, angels and 3 others like this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Craft Artist.
    There are a number of ways of doing this in Craft Artist. Here are the two I would use.
    This method gives a flat look - inked style (note the blending modes won't work using this method)
    1. Before adding shadows to your element(s) make a copy of it. Then add your shadows.
    2. Empty layer above the element layer
    3. Masked layer above that one, put the copy of your element(s) in that layer
    4. In the empty layer put transfers/stamps/paint elements or paint using the CA brushes.
    This method allows adding of bevel and 3D styles etc for a thicker paint look, also allows you to use blending modes and makes moving the element later on easier.
    1.Before adding shadows to your element(s) make a copy of it. Then add your shadows.
    2. on the same layer, put 1 paper/transfer/stamp/brush stroke
    3. paste the copied element
    4. Crop the paper/paint etc to that copied element.
    5. repeat 2-4 for additional stamps/paint strokes etc.
    6. apply bevels or lighting effects if you want to.
    7. Select the element and all it's "paint dip" pieces - group together.

keepscrappin, jk703, KarenB and 2 others like this.
  12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I used paint marks in the template recoloured with papers for the cream and deep blue one and they were added to the title and the torn paper.
    [​IMG]

Tedasgram (Ruth), LynnG and bcgal00 like this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Easy peasy challenge! :cloud9:dancebun

14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thanks Rae for the fun challenge!
    Paint dipped: Newsprint Flower, torn paper, leaf, bows, Alpha, Paintbrush (Sky blue and white paints)
    [​IMG]

rrred68, LynnG, Smileark and 5 others like this.
  15. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you so much for this challenge, I really enjoyed doing that; even had a go at the text lol . Paintdipped; Alpha and the weekend wordart element,and (sort of )the text.
    [​IMG]

bcgal00 and jk703 like this.
  16. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Cool challenge!

17. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

18. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the interesting Challenge!
    I applied paint dipping to parts of the text, some hearts and the circles
    [​IMG]

LynnG, bcgal00 and wvsandy like this.
  19. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

Jan 23 Paint Dipped
    I painted across the bottom of my alpha and across the top of the frame using PSE 11 Wet Media Brushes 42 and 17
    [​IMG]

LynnG, tia3966, bcgal00 and 2 others like this.
  20. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Anyone know how to do this in Artisan?