January 21- Organic Botanicals

Discussion in 'MOC 2020 Challenges' started by yellowpeep, Jan 21, 2020.

1. cestlafranz

cestlafranz Well-Known Member

@yellowpeep I have multiple questions as feel kind of paralyzed by this challenge and have no idea where to start...
    • Is it ok to use "the real thing"? I don't have much product that is photo-realistic and as I don't use it, don't really feel like buying some just to be able to complete the challenge.
    • If the answer to the above is yes, would it be ok to use multiple leaves of the same plant type? They would obviously be similar but not sure if they are different enough to not count as duplicates...
    • Are nuts / coffee beans ok? After all they are the fruits/seeds of plants, right?
    Many thanks in advance for any clarifications.
    Franzi

crazsquaw and AJK like this.
  2. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

Moc day 21.jpg
    I hope it's allowed that I duplicated my own photos. I cut them out in the shape of flowers and used them all around. I've got more than 5 botanical items, in leaves.
    Bella Gypsy A Whole Mood paper xp 8, Little Butterfly Wings: Hello Handsome Leaves. KAagard: All The Feels, Mini leaves and Big Top leaves, Makers gotta Make leaves. Pink Reptile Designs, Out of this World, leaves, Wild Child Leaves and Cattitude leaves.
    The fern in the background is also my photo, and I lowered the visibility.

yellowpeep and AJK like this.
  3. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Interesting challenge. I'm really liking the pages already posted -- so many good ideas and I never liked the "frankly fake" flowers, etc. anyway.

I have 6 botanicals - 1. pinecone 2. Brown leaves 3. Seed pod 4. Bare branch/twig 5. Pine pieces (2) 6. Berries on a branch

[​IMG]

Lisa B, yellowpeep and trekmom like this.
  4. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I discovered I didn't have many botanicals in my stash, either. :) There are five different taped botanicals.

Thanks for the challenge!

[​IMG]

5. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

I'm so sorry you feel paralyzed by this challenge. First off, yes any beans or nuts would be fine, as they are from plants (as long as they haven't been altered with additions of paint/glitter etc.).
    Could you please expand on what you mean by "the real thing?" Do you mean a hybrid page with real leaves?
    Any similar elements are totally fine as long as it's clear that you haven't duplicated or flipped them. They need to be unique to one another.
    Hope that helps! Let me know how I can support you further.

6. cestlafranz

Yes that's exactly what I mean. :D

7. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Pinecone, Cactus, Pine fan spray - duplicated once, Short needle pine sprig, 3 leaf cluster, and Multi-leaf branch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    yellowpeep and trekmom like this.
  8. andersm

andersm You can check out anytime you like ...

It was so fun scrolling through all the leaves in my kits! :)
    [​IMG]

OLB - Trouble Maker
    Sahin Designs - Mermaid Dreams
    OLB - Feels
    APennington - POP
    APennington - Selfie

Lisa B, yellowpeep and trekmom like this.
  9. threadjungle

threadjungle Well-Known Member

This was a challenge. I have a limited number of kits and finding the required items was a search. These were the only ones I had that fit the requirements. I like the botanicals but can't really get another kit. These are all from Tangie Baxter AJC13: apple, branch with pinecone, pine bough, 2 different cedar boughs, & holly branch. And I'm hoping the snow on the pinecone branch doesn't disqualify it.

Christmas Tea with the Easter Bunny
    [​IMG]

yellowpeep and trekmom like this.
  10. Ursula

Ursula Well-Known Member

Thanks for the challenge. It was fun scrolling through the kits and I realized that I don't have a lot of realistic botanical elements. At least I found some more than 5, Mushroom, Cone, Redberry, Rose-hip, wreath, 3 leaves, 3 foliages.

[​IMG]

11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I had so much fun, the big photo was a horrible photo, but such a great memory. Loved adding organic fun to make it better!
    [​IMG]

12. Anny-Libelle

Anny-Libelle Show me the way to the Misty Mountains

[​IMG]

Branch with pink flowers, pink flower, yellow flower, 4 different leaf branches, 2 different branches with berries

13. yellowpeep

Hi again,
    Thanks for the clarification. I consulted with a few other staff members and we agree that, even with a hybrid layout, there should be five botanical elements included (and the total included elements need to be 75% TLP product). The rules state that you can include but not count photos of plants you've taken yourself. Others have stated that they've had to purchase product specifically for this challenge or taken time to search their stash and I think it would be unfair to bend the rules for someone while others have figured out how to make it work within the rules. Also, I would encourage you to take a little time and search your Lilypad stash for leaves/pinecones/seeds/branches that have been included in kits you already own. I'm positive you'll find at least five elements that will work for this challenge.
    With that said, there are several kits that are $4 or less that would fulfill this challenge easily. Here are a few:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope that helps you participate more easily in this challenge!

14. yellowpeep

What a totally clever way to add more flowers! Yes, it's fine because you used at least five botanical elements (leaves) from TLP. Your cluster is SO eyecatching!! I've never seen anyone create a cluster this way. Totally unique!

trekmom likes this.
  15. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can easily see why this is being such a challenge for everyone. One of my biggest complaints about this site has always been the fact that the flowers are all fake and I always refused to use fake flowers. Still feel that way but very judiciously throw in a fake one here or there. The problem will be finding kits in the stash that have real flowers. I think I should have more than enough... will be fun to do. For me as always the challenge is to find a photo that I want to do this to. I have a deep aversion to all the pages buried in oodles of fake flowers that have nothing to do with the subject matter.

16. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

This was one of my favorite challenges so far. I actually made my layout within the first 45 minutes of your post ---- but I'm still 5 layouts behind and I can't bring myself to post out of order. :giggle

17. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Thuria, AJK, yellowpeep and 3 others like this.
  18. cestlafranz

@yellowpeep no worries. I totally agree: same rules for everyone. Already looked through my stash during the day and I have exactly 5 elements within the rules, just have to figure out what to do with them now. Guess it's called challenge for a reason.
    Thanks a lot also for the inspiration from the store. Much appreciated.

yellowpeep likes this.
  19. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

[​IMG]

Forever Joy ~ Bunny Trail (multi yellow png)
    TLP Collab ~ Heartsong (branch png)
    Forever Joy ~ Hoppy Spring (dandelion png)
    Forever Joy ~ Little Days (branch png)
    Rebecca McMeen ~ Olivia (grapevine tendril 1)

20. Smileark

Smileark Well-Known Member