February 2020 Book Club - The Giver of Stars

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Here we go! We have another batch of books to read together. Yay!

Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (October 2019 -February 2020) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for February 2020 is The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]
    Just a note, anyone can read these books at any time and join in the discussion at any time too! The more the merrier! :agree

Ferdy likes this.
  2. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Even with 2 libraries cards from 2 different cities I'm waiting. #106 for Sarasota County Library and #336 for Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh. Must be a popular book!

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Oh I so enjoyed her other books! Gonna put on hold (audio) and smile knowing my Pad Peeps are enjoying too!

4. Karen

Yikes Donna @djp332 ! That’s a long wait! I think I knew the release date on this and put my hold in right away because I just finished this a week or so ago. I enjoyed it. It was completely different from the other books I’ve read by Jojo, but I still loved it.

I think it was bound to be a winner because it’s a book about people who love books. :giggle

5. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I requested this a long time ago from my library & FINALLY it's my turn! Can't wait!!

Karen likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

LOL #224 on the list. I may try for audio book also.. or I'll be reading it in the summer!

Karen likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I finished this one on Christmas! I loved it. I too like Jojo Moyes books- and this one felt a bit different. I love the historical fiction aspect of it & all the bits/quotes from historians, etc. I just cant imagine the life of these ladies & how they lived! Highly recommended read!

Karen likes this.
  8. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

It was my "Lucky Day"! Our library system sets aside several dozen copies of popular books that can NOT be put on hold. You just chance it by walking in and seeing a popular title on the shelf. I picked this title up this weekend (instead of having to wait for 272 holds!!!! YAY! It is a good read so far!

amien1 likes this.
  9. Karen

Isn't that a cool system! Yay for not having to wait!

10. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

I read this last year, in November, and LOVED it!!! I can't wait to hear discuss it with you!

Karen likes this.
  11. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I suddenly found this at the library as a 7 day loan so I snapped it up and yes, loved it! I knew about the coal mines as my both my grandfathers were coal miners in Pennsylvania but didn't know about these women. Excellent book!

Karen likes this.
  12. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This sounds a good book to read so I have just purchased it for my Kindle. I have never taken part in a Book Club before. I am not always a quick reader so I will see how I go with keeping up with you all.

Karen likes this.
  13. Karen

That's the beauty of our book club... the thread is always here so you can take your time reading and come back to comment whenever you finish. I hope you enjoy the book! :agree

14. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I just finished it today, I started earlier...I love Jojo's books, so I was very curious about this story, because of the real life inspiration...I liked it and since I m on my phone, won't say anything cause I can't do the highlighting trick LOL!!

Karen likes this.
  15. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I just finished this book.
    I found the first half a little slow going but once I hit the middle I had trouble putting it down as I wanted to make sure it was going to end how I hoped it would.

Karen likes this.
  16. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Absolutely loved this book! I picked this up at the library and had just started reading when my mom had her birthday. She was gifted this book as well! So we had a little book club of our own and were both in awe with it. :)
    I loved the combination of history, nature and a bit of excitement.

Karen likes this.
  17. Karen

That's so fun that you and your Mom could read it together. I'm glad you liked it too! :agree