Oh, I think I just might cry.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Jan 17, 2020.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

**** RESOLVED!***** My DH got my computer up and running again!
    UPDATE #2 - THE SUNGLASSES HAVE BEEN FOUND!!!

It’s been a crazy week. I lost my prescription sunglasses (I can’t go outside without them), I’m overwhelmed by the renovation taking place in my house (still no working kitchen - extremely difficult because I can’t cook my meals), and now my computer won’t turn on. All plugs are in, power is going to the area, but no powering up.

This means no scrapping. And I haven’t backed up for a while. I was going to do that today.

Any suggestions on how to jumpstart a computer? My husband’s looking at it now, but without any luck. This is more than I can handle today.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    bellbird and cfile like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Argh! You poor thing! Before you freak out completely though... it could just be a bad power supply. I've had those go a couple times in my own computers and they are fairly cheap to replace... like $50-75ish? Let's just hope that it's one bad part and that once you fix that, you'll be back in the swing of things? I've usually ordered my power supplies from NewEgg online because they are a little cheaper that way, but I'm sure you could march into Best Buy and see what they have there? Of course it could be something else too. Have you tried a different plug? Or a different cord? (If you have one laying around?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. Karen

I guess I should have asked if you have a desktop or a laptop? I was talking about replacing the power supply in my desktops... my old eyes can't handle tiny laptop screens anymore.

Also... for you prescription sunglasses... have you ever tried Zenni (online)? I ordered my last pair of prescription sunglasses from them WITH polarized lenses for like $50!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Ohmygoodness Jan! It's all happening! I'd want to cry too! I hope you find your glasses, and hubby is able to find a fix! I usually just leave it be, and come back. If that doesn't work, maybe a techy friend, or like Karen said, Best Buy!

@Karen I jut told DH about Zenni! Thanks! I went to check out the site and tried on glasses, lol! (I don't need them but wanted to try it!)

Karen likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh no! That all sounds overwhelming, especially the computer problem. (You know that eventually you'll get your kitchen back, thankfully!)

My DH has ordered from NewEgg and we've liked the products and prices.

As for Zenni Optical: I love them! @jk703 you've seen Zennis in person because that's what DH and I wear. :) And you can get their glasses with no Rx--so if your husband needs a pair of glasses, you could order non-Rx sunglasses.

Jan, they also have options for people who are in front of a computer screen a lot (blue light filter, or something?). You just need your Rx and they'll walk you through the process of adding it to your account. I have DH's, DD's, and my Rx saved so I can easily order us glasses. Check online for discount codes; they usually have some little sale.

And I'll cross my fingers your computer gets sorted asap!

jk703 likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

RESOLVED!!! I'd put this in the title but I can't seem to change it...

Thank God for computer-geek husbands! He opened the thing up and it was filled with cobwebs. Dust, too, but I guess some spiders had been making it home. He cleaned it out and now it's working.

I'm relieved beyond words. Ya'll are awesome for your support. :heartslub:bk

And I'm starting my backup NOW!

It's a desktop. I should've said that first!! And I'll definitely check out Zenni. Those prices are amazing!

I'll check out NewEgg, too. My others were a splurge - RayBans - because I NEVER loose my prescription ones. If I happened to leave them somewhere then I'm sure they would've been picked up by someone not knowing they were prescription. I'm guessing they're in the house somewhere because I always take them off once I enter the house (I'm high risk for cataracts so that's why I need them outside). But I've been so spacy these days with the reno going on that my usual routines are non-existent. I'm still praying that I find them!

Karen and Tree City like this.
  7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Sometimes the computer cord goes bad. If you have another one available, try it.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Glad you got it resolved! Computer problems are no fun!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So glad your computer is running and you're able to scrap! Hoping you find your glasses and that you find some peace in the midst of the reno!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. Karen

Yay! I'm so glad your hubby got it working again AND that's you're backing up now! Phew!

I too lost a pair of expensive sunglasses once. I NEVER would have bought them, but we had a couple hundred extra dollars in flew one year. Anyway, they were my favorite sunglasses and I think I set them down at church once and never saw them again. (it was at a church garage sale set up, so much to my horror, I imagine they got sold for $2 or something NOoooo!!!) BUT, when I did get my Zenni sunglasses, there was an option to put test on the inside of one of the bows... so I added my number just in case I ever set them down somewhere. I mean... no one else can wear them since this pair is prescription... so it was worth a shot. Hope you find yours too!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

YEA!!!!! Glad for you!!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

I thought about putting my contact information inside, but I never got around to it. Seems to be the norm for me these days!

Karen likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Whew!! So glad you got it working again!! Hope you are able to find your glasses and some peace :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

glad to see the fixed update to the first post

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This?!?! I'm a little creeped out.... Seriously. Now, I'm going to make DH open my computer first to make sure there's no spiders next time.

And: Yippee! I'm so glad your computer is working again! I hope you find your glasses! Maybe ask the contractors if they've seen them? Perhaps they set them in a cupboard or weird spot so they wouldn't get knocked or broken?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. QuiltyMom

I know. The whole spider thing kinda freaked me out. I’m not afraid of spiders, but seriously????

I have asked the contractors, but no luck. I almost remember myself putting them somewhere and saying, “oh, I’ll remember where I put them”. I should know better! But everyone is on high alert. I’m sure they’re just playing hide and seek with me.

Karen and bestcee like this.
  17. QuiltyMom

UPDATE #2 - THE SUNGLASSES HAVE BEEN FOUND!!!

:circles

Just got off the phone with my DH. He had brought the car to get washed and when he got back into the car the case was in the drink holder in the console! :circles Woohoo!!!!! And he feels bad that he didn't find them himself.

I feel so much better now. :happydance2

KimJ, bestcee, Frumpje and 1 other person like this.
  18. Karen

Yahoo!!!! Now you just need to get those renovators to move into hyper speed and everything will be fixed in your world! :giggle

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

SOOOOOOO glad is sorted, Jan!!!!!! Hugggzzz!!!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  20. QuiltyMom

I know!!! They are working tomorrow, and if I remember correctly they're doing the demo on our master bath. I'm so not ready for that! But if they can finish the almost done things (kitchen backsplash, trim around the kitchen cabinets, faucets in 2 bathrooms) I'll be thrilled. I've been trying my best to get things put away in the kitchen, but the newer cabinets aren't as deep as the old ones so I've had to rethink things many times. And a lot of stuff is packed where I can't reach it. But if they're up here making a lot of noise I don't think I'll be able to scrap much. But it should be done within a few weeks. woohoo!

Miss you!!! :heartslub

Karen and MrsPeel like this.