Bath or Shower| Pad Patter 1.8

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have a ranch with a full basement. No open floor plan either because that is not the type of house they built in the 60's. My parents chose to take a half bath out in favor of having 2 5' closets in the master bedroom and a 5' closet in the foyer. It would have just had the toilet and sink for the bedroom and would have taken up 2.5' of the foyer closet and left the bedroom with only one 5' closet. My mother was all about closet space! Since it was open to the bedroom, guests still would have to use the bathroom with a tub so she didn't feel the need for it. The sink would have had a window by it that looked out over the porch! We were fine only havng one bathroom for the 3 people and this included my high school years. Because of my father's job in construction he always cleaned up after dinner. Mom took a bath later on and I showered before school. Dad was usually gone before I got up and Mom was done with the bathroom by the time I got up. If we were all going somewhere together, then we staggered when we would get ready. I put makeup on in my bedroom all the time.

I have never lived in a home with 2 stories and definitely don't want to anymore. My only possible issue in the future would be the washer/dryer in the basement but I'll get it figured out if needed. Washer/dryers were put in basements in the 60's as well! That's just how houses were designed back then.

cfile likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We shower and bathe, mostly showers. We have 2 bath tub/shower combos in the 2 kid bathrooms and 1 shower and separate jetted tub in the master. I do love to relax in a bubble bath in the jetted tub and watch a show on my ipad, sometimes once a week, sometimes more.

cfile likes this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Yup I grew up with a ranch in the 60’s .. parents sold in 1988.. lived on Long Island in NY and we had a finished basement with the washer dryer in the basement hidden behind louvered wooden doors. We had one bathroom in the house and there was four of us.. we worked it out with Dad going to work in the morning and my brother and I in school.. in Tx we had a ranch too and when my parents had the house in fl it was also a ranch both Tx and fl had 2 bathrooms. Here I have the 2 story with 2 full up and 1/2 down .. :)

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  4. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

My dog gets a bath at the groomer. Showers for me!

5. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I take a bath at least once a month, sometimes every week. When I redid my entire bathroom, I had to have a bathtub. I didn’t have one for many years while being in my rental apartment and I had been longing for it!!
    I still wash my hair in the shower though. So after a bath, I switch to my shower to wash my hair. :giggle

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

there's a spa bath in the main (kids) bathroom -i think it's called a jacuzzi there from US reno shows?? anyway it was a selling point when we bought but if i knew how much of a pain it is to clean, it might not have been such a drawcard. It served us well but only gets used a few times a year now, even half full to just cover the jets, it takes so much water, and y'know, droughts etc - bucketing the water onto the garden afterwards is a pain too but that's the mentality i got traned to have as a kid, it's just what we did and so we do that now too - there's no way we could fit a bath in the ensuite and really i don't think you need more than 1 bathtub in a house. But to answer your original question, a family house should have a bath tub for little kids at least in my humble opinion.

7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I would not buy a house without a bath.

8. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Lol when I read this. When we bought our house from 1880 ish it needed new bathrooms. The only bath was under a spiral staircase on the landing going up to the roof. Now we have a shower stall in the bathroom upstairs, and a tub downstairs. The only one that has ever used it is the fish from the Aquarium when we had to empty it quick because we had a leak.... but is still has to be cleaned,it is a right dust harbour....ahhh by the way it was hubbys idea.....he couldn't live without a tub.

9. HavaDrPepper

The beauty of my bathroom remodel of taking out the tub and putting in a walk-in shower is that the walk-in shower is the exact size of a tub since the configuration of my bathroom was not changed. I plan to stay here for a long time and it is what I want. When I die and the new owners move it, if they want to put in a tub they can!

10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

That is great for you. We should live with what we want. :)

I take a bath every single day. If I bought a house, no matter how much I loved it, I would still not buy it even like what you said - because the bath would have to be there for the first night I'm in the house to soak my sore muscles away! LOL

11. HavaDrPepper

That's why you do renovations before you move in LOL Converting my bathroom took 3 days, changing it back would not take long as well! I am hearing from many people that are buying homes that do renovations before they move in especially for older homes like mine. The houses are in good shape overall but maybe a bathroom upgrade, new flooring or painting, anything that makes a mess is done before they move any furniture in. My cousin had her house painted before she moved in. Her painters really appreciated not having to work around furniture!

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

When we renovated in 2004 we moved the half bath to a small alcove on the former back deck area (about 6x6ft). It's all part of the inside of the house now and is a wet room, designed for handicapped access. So where a tub could fit across the outer wall there is now a shower area with a wall shower on the right wall (with a movable shower head) and a wall hung toilet on the left wall. The whole room is mostly tiled and I did get a long shower curtain to go across left to right so steam stays behind that curtain when you shower. Sink is to your right as you enter the room, Very compact but with room for a wheel chair to turn if needed.

The real beauty is also that you can clean the toilet area with the shower head and NO toilet base on the floor to clean.
    Bathroom entrance is with a pocket door and a 36" entry. However when Dick came home from cancer rehab he didn't like using that shower and got himself climbing the stairs to the upstairs shower. Me? I love the downstairs one esp in the summer when it's like being outdoors but still inside.

cfile likes this.
  13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

The way my 1/2 bath is, it is backed up to the coat closet behind and the garage to the right (laundry is across the hall with the short hall path to the garage ) so if we really needed to put in a stall shower we could go into the closet area. Glad you like yours!

cookingmylife likes this.