What do you rather see.....?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by MrsPeel, Jan 2, 2020.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

........on other people's pages?

Hi guys!!!!
    I have a question right now... but bear with me because I'm having huge trouble with writing/reading (if any of you native English speakers can say it in a better way (I bet there is a way to say this that will be 4 or 5 sentences instead of my 50000 :giggle) , let me know and I will edit.... I have been doing my written communications with my carer & my daughter but she is asleep now )
    I almost lost everything (2 iMacs, 3 External Hard Drives!!!!!) but thank God (and Sara @Tree City who kept reminding us to get online back up when Crash Plan stopped the personal back ups!) I have Backblaze, the Customer Service girls were amazing, and gave me an extension as I spent a month in which I couldn't restore, anyway, long story short, I have now a year got start getting things back, but couldn't start, so I haven't got many photos.
    I'm 90% of my time house bound, and probably 75% of those 90% bed bound, plus the light here is horrible ..... in not so many words... I haven't got many photos.

Many of you know I do scrap old photos more than twice, I tend to only use stock photos for Art Journal, I would like to know about you, not what you choose to scrap your own pages, but when you look at our pages (everyone else's) what do you rather see?
    repeat photos or stock photos?

LoveItScrapIt and A-M like this.
  2. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This is not such an easy answer to give as I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings. To be honest, I sometimes quickly go past pages that feature stock photos. To me personally, scrapbooking is for recording memories.
    I do understand and appreciate that there are a lot of digital artists who like to create art and enjoy doing it with someone else's photo. It is only on rare occasions I would use a photo that is not my own ( or my mother's old photos etc) and that is mostly for Artjournaling or Scripture Art or to use a scene photo as a background to a page or a photo of a place from my past that I want to add to a page to help set the scene.

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am a lover of memories too, and when I see stock photos, or repeats, I do find myself looking closer at the design.

If the photo (stock or real) is eye catching, that can sometimes distract from the product on the page to me.

I can lose myself in a happy moment.

It is very hard to say ALWAYS to this, as sometimes (especially in art journaling) a photo doesn't work.

My whole outlook, is the person has found JOY in creating, and to me the creating is the best part. My family gets the overflow of that JOY with books.

LoveItScrapIt and MrsPeel like this.
  4. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I love seeing pages that document a family memory. I also love Art Journal pages with stock photos or no photos. For me, the traditional scrapbook page is much harder than the art journal page. I don't mind seeing a photo more than once - I've done that too. Picking a photo (and it usually is one photo for me) is the absolute hardest part of the process. I guess my feelings are that I scrap memories and that makes me happy and I scrap art journal pages just to create and that also makes me happy. If you don't have photos ... go for the stock photo! That sure was a ramble!

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

:compcoffee

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    bestcee and MrsPeel like this.
  6. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I like beautiful pages period!!!!!!!! I don't focus on whether it's a stock photo or not. I understand that some, may not even have family and just enjoy creating. Or perhaps they are sensitive about sharing the family on the internet so they only use stock photos or photoless.

I love the art form as a whole. If you create with repeat photos or stock and your page catches my eye I will go in for more detail.

cfile, Ferdy and MrsPeel like this.
  7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Quite frankly I would have no idea whether someone is using a stock photo or not.

I do sometimes scrap photos multiple times. Sometimes it's because my style has changed so I like to revamp the style. Sometimes it's to try a new technique.

I have some online friends who are fabulous photographers. I have frequently asked permission from them to scrap their photo.

HavaDrPepper and MrsPeel like this.
  8. MrsPeel

You will never hurt my feelings, ever!!!
    I agree with you, my primary reason was memory keeping, the reason I started scrapping was to make Sarita's childhood books (which I did and printed, from birth to 8 years old!!) I also did a picture of P365 and 52 weeks in 2011 and 2012, scrapped and printed....it was then that I started loosing the chronological part.... it was when I started being called to Creative Teams , which, I think I should have mentioned in the post..... is the reason I was asking.....
    I remember also passing traditional LOs with stock photos..... but as the years went, I learned that as a CT member, we sometimes want to make the product look good... I also learned that some CT girls use stock photos because they have issues and can't show their family, I met a lot of CT girls who have very valid reasons not to scrap their photos.....I only use stock photo when Art Journal allows.... but the main reason I came to ask is because right now, lots of the MOC challenges will need [photos.... and I had a look at the last year and see I went back in time and scrapped photos a lot more repeat than I would like it.....

I agree with you also..... the main thing in my mind was, because these days I give a lot more attention to the product I want to show, is something I think most of us carry being a Creative Team member, we want to show the product, and not having photos right now with MOC, I found myself thinking about going for stock photos when I looked back at the past year and saw that I was going back to the same photos.....
    and I remember being a bit pic ky before I started t be in CTs :giggle
    so I thought better get some answers!!!

oh we are very much the same Patsy!!!!! and I love you rambling LOL

oh my girl, you have NO IDEA how grateful I am to you!!!! missed you lots
    will catch up with you soon Sara!!!!

9. MrsPeel

It is what I was saying to Anne Marie..... I used to be a bit prejudiced and a bot judgmental even when ( started, I even didn't like people who used templates. I thought then that it was like someone made half the page for you.....until someone gave me their point of view and I understood started using templates, now I LOVE them with passion, and, as a matter of fact, it takes me longer and is more work to interpret a template well than making a page without......
    so I also understood about people who use stock photo :)
    Missed you so much Kiana!!!!! we should catch up soon!!!!

Oh that is true about us changing styles or even finding a kit that fits an old photo perfectly!!!! so right Judy!!!!
    And you just reminded me I can ask my God Daughters, some of my friends who do a lot of Instagram, to borrow their photos!!!!!! Missed you guys so much!!!
    So glad to be able to be around!!!! w3ill catch up with your gallery tomorrow!!!!!

LoveItScrapIt and bonnenuit like this.
  10. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I second this. And what Anne said:
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  11. frani_54

frani_54 Well-Known Member

I'm okay with both stock and personal photos. I too started with the intention of recording memories, but in recent years I don't take as many photos so will go back and re-scrap a photo especially if it is one I love. I scrap stock photos as well for the art of it. When I was CTing I didn't always have a photo to compliment the kit I needed to work on so I would use stock photos. Either way I love creating a layout that speaks to me, whether it's documenting history or feeding my soul.

MrsPeel, LoveItScrapIt and Ferdy like this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

:hug When I read your first post, I really did just giggle! (No actual coffee spitting, though, lol!) I was supposed to be grading tests but I took a break to check out TLP, which is why I could only answer in an emoji. Now I'm done grading (yay!) and I just want to say that I am so very happy that you found a new backup plan that works for you. (And I'm glad they helped you out!) I've missed seeing you around here, my friend...but I'm glad my nagging helped you! :giggle :beat

MrsPeel likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

:peekin If you use stock photos, you need to make sure they are allowed for commercial use. There are a lot of free sites with photos that allow personal use, or educational use, but if a designer is advertising with the product, that is usually not allowed by the terms of use without a separate credit to the photographer, or not allowed at all. A designer I worked with previously got in trouble for using a CT page with a stock photo without permission.

In school, we are encouraged to use our own photos as much as possible because of copyright issues. There are times that stock photos are great, just be careful of the terms of use. :love

14. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Repeat photos~ and maybe some more of your wonderful photo-less pages??? You could take this time to tell some wonderful stories that you haven't the photos for.

MrsPeel and bestcee like this.
  15. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I don't mind....scrap whatever you like! The inspiration comes from the page ideas. we should totally do a new challenge this year..."Scrap MY photo". Anyone can upload a photo and see how others might scrap it.

MrsPeel, jk703, LoveItScrapIt and 2 others like this.
  16. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Personally, I would choose repeat photos- as other ladies have mentioned- there's just something off-putting to me with stock photos. HOWEVER- art is art- and ultimately it's your layout- so I say do as you please! :bk

MrsPeel and A-M like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I don't have a problem with seeing stock photos and I'd probably never know it if you used repeat photos. I just enjoy the art form and don't pay much attention to those things. So, "scrap on"!:heartslub:heartslub

18. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Repeat. I don't see any point in scrapping stock photos unless it is to demo products. I can spot a stock photo a mile off.

MrsPeel and HavaDrPepper like this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree you need to scrap what you like.. without children or pets, sometimes I do not have something that fits a kit I am using or the CT so I use free stock photos, but I have rescrapped older personal photos as I love them. If someone is not happy with my rescrapping of my photos, well I cannot help that. I am in the department of not placing some of my family members in my pages for privacy issues, so therefore I scrap with what I want/have.

The main thing is enjoy the process my friend :) I do agree though if you scrap using a stock photo you need to make sure it is "free" re copyright. I also ask permission of my brother and sister in law if I use any of their photos.. Most of the time I use my own.

@MrsPeel sometimes I use the same photo, just cropped differently and it looks like another photo!! :)

20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

ooh I like this idea!!! We should do that in February! :)

MrsPeel likes this.