a quick read, but a must-girls like us!

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I read this in ONE sitting, and it is so fabulous. Wanted to pop in and recommend it!
    [​IMG]
    Girls Like Us
    by Gail Giles | Oct 13, 2015
    A 2015 Schneider Family Book Award Winner

With gentle humor and unflinching realism, Gail Giles tells the gritty, ultimately hopeful story of two special ed teenagers entering the adult world.

We understand stuff. We just learn it slow. And most of what we understand is that people what ain’t Speddies think we too stupid to get out our own way. And that makes me mad.

Quincy and Biddy are both graduates of their high school’s special ed program, but they couldn’t be more different: suspicious Quincy faces the world with her fists up, while gentle Biddy is frightened to step outside her front door. When they’re thrown together as roommates in their first "real world" apartment, it initially seems to be an uneasy fit. But as Biddy’s past resurfaces and Quincy faces a harrowing experience that no one should have to go through alone, the two of them realize that they might have more in common than they thought — and more important, that they might be able to help each other move forward.

Hard-hitting and compassionate, Girls Like Us is a story about growing up in a world that can be cruel, and finding the strength — and the support — to carry on.

crazsquaw and umyesh like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Sounds intriguing and any book that someone tears through in one sitting is one I must check out! :) Thanks for the recommendation! :)

3. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Just read this and loved it. Thanks for the recommendation Anne.

AnneofAlamo and Karen like this.
  5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@umyesh
    Monica!! I am so glad! I really loved the book, the happy, the sad, the whole idea of the story!

umyesh likes this.
  6. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Yes! It was heart wrenching and heart warming all in one!