Technique Scrap | Friday Nov 22 @ 11am EST/8am PST INSTRUCTIONS

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Nov 22, 2019.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

For today’s Technique Scrap, we are going to learn how to use text as a container for more text. In the past, we have used big letters as clipping masks for photo and papers, but today we will fill a single letter with an entire paragraph of text so that the text appears in the shape of the letter.

Step 1: Create A New Document
    I use 12x12 layouts, but you can use whichever size you want.

Step 2: Select The Type Tool
    In order to add our text, we need to use the Type Tool and type a single letter. You may choose whichever letter in whichever font you would like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Use Free Transform To Resize The Letter As Needed
    You will likely need to resize your letter. You can type a larger size in the character palette or use the Free Transform tool, then drag any of the little squares to resize it. To avoid accidentally distorting to proportion of the letter as you resize it, hold down your Shift key as you drag the little squares. Double click, or click apply. Your letter should take up at least 25% of the overall LO, but can be larger.

[​IMG]

Step 4: Create A Path From The Type
    With the Type Tool still selected, right-click on the layer to bring up a sub menu of options for the text. We need to convert our letter into a path, within which we can add the rest of our text, so select Create Work Path from the sub menu. Now, hide the text layer in the Layers palette by clicking on the eyeball icon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 5: Click Inside The Letter to add text
    With the Type Tool still selected, move your mouse cursor anywhere inside the path. You'll see the shape of your cursor change from an I-beam with a dotted square around it to an I-beam with a dotted elliptical shape around it, indicating that if you click the mouse and start typing, you'll be typing inside the path. Click anywhere inside the path, and start typing. You may need to adjust the font size and justification (justify all) for inside the letter. Continue typing until your letter is filled with text. You may also copy and paste text from an outside source. Play around with the text size and spacing until you are happy with the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are today's instructions:

Please post your completed layout in The Lilypad gallery. GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. CREATE A LAYOUT USING TODAY'S TECHNIQUE.

*You MUST have some sort of text (journaling, poem, lyrics, repeating word) withing a single letter
    **Add anything additional to your LO to make it one you LOVE!

I can't wait to see everyone's take.

You have 24 hours to finish your pages. Layouts are due Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 1pm Eastern time. Please load you pages to THIS gallery and post them below. Have fun!!!

Here is my final Layout.

[​IMG]

Ferdy, patsyt, norton94 and 2 others like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Technique for Craft Artist Users:
    1. Create the letter
    2. Convert to bitmap (via the Tools menu)
    3. Click on the letter shape and start typing.

Nemla and FarrahJobling like this.
  4. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Thanks so much Angela

Angela Toucan likes this.
  5. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Here's my PSE clipping mask work around. Thanks for the chat and the instructions. Got me thinking and I am happy with the work around.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy and Nemla like this.
  6. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

7. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for the instructions !

[​IMG]

patsyt and FarrahJobling like this.
  8. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I swear I can never get myself to the chats on time - I'm so glad we can still play if we can't make it on time.

I absolutely love this idea, can't wait to see what I can come up with.

9. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Electra, flowersgal and cfile like this.
  10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thanks for the chat Farrah . It ended up being done in CA ( thanks Angela for reminding me how) It is not the best, but it worked.
    [​IMG]

11. barbaraj

barbaraj Well-Known Member

Fun to learn how to do!

[​IMG]

12. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the tutorial! I finally found was I was doing wrong ("With the Type Tool still selected..."). Reading carefully helps a lot! :giggle
    Here is my page, I used the lyrics in the text inside the letter.
    [​IMG]

13. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

So cool and not hard at all. I hope I remember to do this again and again. The longest part was just creating the journaling because I was scrolling through my journal for ideas and spent a lot of time just reading. Like when you clean out a closet and take so long because you're reminiscing about stuff you forgot you had, you know? :giggle

I was kind of surprised the middle of the zero and nine disappeared when I created the work paths (I experimented with putting journaling in the 9 too). And I see above that someone else's middles of letters remained. Do different fonts react differently to the "create path" command?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    cinderella likes this.
  15. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Farrah do you have a PSE workaround?

16. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

thank you for the interesting challenge!
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  17. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Back from my errands. Sorry I had to leave half-way thru the chat... But on the other hand, thanks for the technique. I work in CS5, had a bit of a problem getting the text to actually fill the letter, but I clicked outside of the "C", clicked back into the "C" (or something like that) and it worked. I had a particularly difficult time with this as I knew I wanted a tree scene, but the trees and leaves were too busy to show off any text from the letter. So I split my page, pretty much in half with the "C" on one side, the photo on the other side. BTW... The flying birds are in the photograph. And Joni Mitchell lyrics fill my alpha.

[​IMG]

flowersgal likes this.
  18. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

thanks for the tutorial! I never tried to do it this way, so good to learn!
    here's my page:
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  19. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Sorry I missed the chat. So glad to learn this technique. Thanks, Farrah.
    [​IMG]

20. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

This Was An Interesting Challenge!...I Struggled With The Technique A Bit...But Eventually Figured It Out...Upon Further Inspection...I Hope My "M" In Merry Is Big Enough...This Layout Is A Cute/Humorous Christmas Layout...A Little Tongue-In-Cheek Humor...Our Poor Little Christmas Doggy Is Super Tired...But Because Of All The Christmas Festivities,Music & Noise...He Can't Get His Nap In...He Is Just A Little Bit Humbug!...But We'll Excuse Him...Since He's So Darn Cute Wearing That Santa Hat & Let's Face It...We All Get Tired Sometimes & Need A Nap/Break...

*For My Humbug! Layout-I Used:Noel By Kristin Aagard

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Nemla and flowersgal like this.