Foundation Pages | DYD 2019

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by Karen, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hello and happy DYD weekend everyone! I know there are lots of people (like me) that get excited about Christmas and Hanukkah and the holiday season long before now and can't wait to document all of the exciting and fun things that come along with December. Then the December arrives and because of all those exciting and fun things happening you don't have as much time to scrapbook and capture those moments as you'd like... am I right? Well, one tried and true method of getting ahead of the game is to create some foundation pages BEFORE December even arrives!

[​IMG]

Foundation Pages can mean LOTS of different things to people. You can also do this digitally or in hybrid fashion, whichever works for you, but foundation pages basically give you a huge jump start on your Holiday scrapping. Just like Documenting Your December can be super varied depending on the holidays you celebrate and the number of layouts you want to end up with, creating Foundation Pages can be as equally varied.

First, you need to decide if you're going to create digitally or hybrid. Next, do you want to create an album or just individual pages? Third, how many pages do you want to create to capture your December memories? Are you going to do one page per day and just capture whatever happens on that day or are you going to create pages based on specific memories and events you'd like to remember?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

THEN the fun begins... creating Foundation Pages to capture these memories is like PRE-scrapping. You can make a list of the pages you'd like to complete and then think about how many photos each page might require, then you can lay out your page with blank photo spots and fill in all the rest with paper and elements. If you're doing this digitally you of course will have the freedom to move things around once your have your photos taken. If you're doing a hybrid approach you can print out your papers and elements and have them ready to use along with a stash of adhesives and your trusty paper cutter. You could also have a small notebook with sketch ideas ready to use!

Now... speaking as a complete template addict, one amazing way to create your own foundation pages is to start with a template. Better yet, we have some amazing template ALBUMS that are brand new for this year's amazing DYD release with the Holly Jolly Collection. Check out these amazing album template sets:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (and in 6 x 8 size)

I'd love to show you a couple of AMAZING examples of Foundation pages from prior years. Here are some samples by Polly Maribel from last year:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is a post from last year where Maribel talks about her process and shows off a bunch more of her amazing sample Foundation Pages.

Then we have a bunch of great coordinating pages created by @lcpereyra for 2017:
    [​IMG]
    along with a great thread FULL of samples started by @scrappyjedi for DYD in 2017.

Finally I wanted to show you my approach to Foundation Pages for this year. I've been obsessed with my daily journal that I've done in TN (Traveler's Notebook) size for over a year now. So when I started thinking about my Christmas planning in September and started jotting down shopping ideas on random notes all over my desk, I decided to make my own TN insert to keep all my ideas in one place. These are different kinds of memories to keep, but I have already been using this journal for a month and I love it! I created pages for wish-lists for everyone that I will be Christmas shopping for and then have several blank pages thrown in for writing down memories as they happen so I'll remember them later when I want to scrapbook them!

I simply created foundation pages, 2 together and then I printed 2 pages on one side of my most loved Brochure Paper by HP and then I printed 2 more on the back side. Then I bought one piece of non-TLP paper for the cover and stapled it all together, trimmed the edges and I have the best personalized TN insert for Christmas! Here are some pictures of the pages digitally before I printed them:

Square page 1 small.jpg
    Square page 2 small.jpg
    Square page 4 small.jpg
    Square-page-7.jpg

If this idea of creating Foundation Pages intrigues you to get ahead of the game, we even have a great Hybrid Foundation Pages challenges to give you extra incentive to start creating. Check it out HERE.

I'd love to hear your ideas about creating Foundation Pages to get started scrapping your December before it arrives. How are you getting organized ahead of time for your December scrapping? What things do you know that you're going to scrap about for next month?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    AJK, KarenB, bellbird and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

SO cute, Karen and what a great idea! I did foundation pages last year too and it helped a lot. I think I'll use the Traveler's Notebook sized templates again this year. I'm getting my stuff ready too.

Karen and bellbird like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So great, Karen! I'm hoping to get started on my foundation pages this weekend! Having a bunch of pages ready for photos and journaling is the only way I'm able to stay on top of DYD and finish! I'll be doing 6x8 again this year and probably using Designed by Soco's December Memories 6x8 Album. I also like to create a folder on my computer and pull in all my DYD stuff until the season is over so that I don't have to go searching for it. I scrap about a little bit of everything...basically just what was significant about that day, whether Christmas related or not.

Karen likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Okay, I've been thinking about it and looking in the store and I've decided to go with a photo a day again this year. I enjoyed it so much last year and I'll be using Liz's 4x6 templates again this year. https://the-lilypad.com/store/Falala-Templates-4x6.html

I'll also be using my Traveler's Notebook and when I get the 4x6 layouts printed out, I still have room to journal at the bottom.

5. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@Karen You are such a superstar with those TN pages! So you are doing hybrid this year? I'm not much of a planner, more of a "fly by the seat of your pants" kind of a person, so I suspect if I do decide to DYD, it'll be a page (or 2 or 3) on the day, which is what I did last year.

Karen likes this.
  6. Karen

Yep... I'm giving doing hybrid in that I printed the pages and then we will handwrite in them from here on out. :agree

I like your fly by the seat of your pants approach too! :)

mcurtt likes this.
  7. Karen

Oh goodness! I hadn't seen those 4x6 templates before (how did I miss them?) but they are awesome! I think I will try to incorporate those in my journal too!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

I LOVE them, Karen!! I did my whole DYD with them last year - had them printed at Walgreen's then put them in my TN and still had plenty of room to journal at the bottom.

Karen likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

@Karen I posted a few of my pages from 2017 and 2018 plus my 2019 Christmas in July in one of the other threads. My 2018 DYD was using all of Liz's templates. Here are a few of my pages. I went clear out through the 31st last year
    DYD-Day-26-SwL_4x6FalalaTemplate25-Changed-to-day-26.jpg-resized.jpg DYD-Day-28-SwL_4x6FalalaTemplate23.jpg-resized.jpg dyd-day-27-SwL_4x6FalalaTemplate14.jpg-resized.jpg DYD-2018-Day-31-SwL_4x6FalalaTemplate25.jpg-resized.jpg
    I did a photo a day and will probably do the same thing this year.

Karen likes this.
  10. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I know i have more somewhere, but i also make pages to put into my planner... heres an older cover I've reprinted for my happy planner a few years in a row.

[​IMG]

I know i also made a Christmas bucket list planner page using Bella Gypsy word art, but i didnt see it in my gallery to share so I'll need to find it.

Anyway. I've been glancing through the previous foundation page threads and trying to determine how i want to do this year. My goals for this weekend include cover pages for years 2009-2019, and foundation pages for 2019. I've determined all my Christmas stories from 2009-2019 can fit into one D-ring album, with the "cover pages" as dividers. I'm going to print Christmas layouts I've already made, and begin putting together my whole book, which will be pulled down each year with the Christmas decorations!

Since it will be a D-ring, i can print as i complete more pages, regardless of which year, and they'll have a place to go. :beat

Karen likes this.
  11. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I haven’t started any foundation pages yet this year and don’t know if I will do any. This month has just been rough and I can’t seem to get in the mood. Maybe I need to put some Christmas music on? Foundation pages have really helped me because once the December documenting has begun I’ve just had to put photos in and journaling, all the other work is done. I will try to make some tomorrow and will post them here if I do. I think they will be similar to last year’s.

Karen and klee73010 like this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I got started on a few foundation pages this morning while the house is quiet :) I may end up changing cards or an element here and there, but it gives me something to start with and helps the process go more quickly. Mostly I just have to add my photos and journaling.
    Example-1.jpg Example-2.jpg Example-3.jpg Example-4.jpg Example-5.jpg

Karen, Soco and klee73010 like this.
  13. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

Wow ladies! I want to be like you when I grow up! :giggle You're not only so talented, but also so efficient and well organized! :notworthy:goldstarsYour foundation pages are amazing and so inspiring! Thank you!!!

Jan @IntenseMagic , you rock!!! I totally love what you're doing! :heartslub Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

14. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Nice! I always pick my kit and templates before hand. I whittle down the choices so I don't have a big stash to choose from. That makes the process go much quicker. I also try to pick a theme or prompt for each day. This year I am using Scrapping with Liz's new Holly Jolly templates and Sahlin Studio's new Holly Days kit | elements, papers. I also added in Mommyish's 2016DYD glitter styles for the paint backgrounds. I'm excited! Here are some prompts I've done in years past: December-Photo-Prompts-2018.jpg

15. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

And a new list for this year!
    [​IMG]

16. Cherylndesigns

I managed to get the first two foundation pages done today.

[​IMG]

londoncuppa and mcurtt like this.
  17. Karen

They look awesome!!! Side note: I have a chicken just like yours, but mine is cobalt blue. I love that thing! I got it from my Mom. :agree

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  18. Karen

@Mrivas it felt weird about thinking about Christmas already too... I feel like our season have been so wonky and are putting me out of sync or something! :giggle

@IntenseMagic those pages look amazing already! Yay for getting ahead of the game already! :)

@AmandaJ I LOVE the idea of a calendar of prompts for the season! What a cool way to focus on something specific each day. I think that would help me know where to start each day amid the busy-ness! Such a cool idea!

@Cherylndesigns Looking good already! I love those sequins and that cute little deer! Adorable!

IntenseMagic and Mrivas like this.
  19. Cherylndesigns

Mine was my mom's too, Karen. I've never seen a blue one. I'll bet it's beautiful. Funny thing - I was over at my oldest DD's last year right before Christmas when she had to have surgery. She asked me to organize her kitchen (which I love doing) and I found that chicken WAY back in one of her cupboards. I had forgotten all about it and just had a fit when I found it. She said my sister told her she could have it after Mom passed away and she had forgotten that she had it. She said I could have it and I've had it sitting out ever since.

Karen likes this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

I made days 3 and 4 foundation pages today.
    2019-dyd-foundation-pages-1-and-2-resized.jpg

Karen likes this.