Photography Tutorial | DYD 2019

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by FarrahJobling, Nov 9, 2019.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

If you are on Facebook, you have have seen this (or a similar) meme pop up every year:

awwwwwww...such a sweet and heartwarming statement....but OMG, that photo is super FABULOUS!!!!

I'm biased though since that happens to be my photo that someone used to create the meme. I'm sure there are some copyright violations going on, but meh, I'm just flattered that they choose mine. =)

Anyways....I have been taking this same photo every year since my kids were little and I love to see how they've grown.

Shooting holiday lights might seem intimidating to some, but there's really nothing to it, if you have a few tips.

Here are a few example photos and some tips for creating them:

1. Holiday lights at night
    ***lights at night can be tricky because inherently, we want to over expose, but the key is to UNDER expose so the lights don't just blow out. ****
    [​IMG]

2. Silhouette in front of tree
    ***the key to this photo is to use a higher ISO and a wide aperture and then set the shutter speed accordingly. You may want to underexpose, but check your settings. Here, I used ISO 1600, f1.2, ss 1/160 and ISO 6400, f2.8, ss 1/250****
    [​IMG]

3. Holiday bokeh (blurry lights in the background)
    ***This is probably the most common type of shot for the holidays since everyone loves the big light behind the subject. The key is to use as wide of an aperture as possible from as far away as possible and zoom in. The greater the distance, the better the bokeh. For this shot, my settings were ISO 400, f2.0, ss 1/125****
    [​IMG]

4. Totally OOF (Out of Focus)
    ***the trick to this shot is to put your focus on manual and manually make it out of focus. The effect is similar to the shot above except that I don't have anything in the foreground to focus on, so I have to focus manually. My settings here were: ISO 800, f1.8, ss 1/400****
    [​IMG]

5. Shaped bokeh
    ***this shot is exactly the same as the shot above, except that I cut a hole in a piece of black paper and taped it onto my lens, causing the lights to take the shape of the hole when out of focus....so clever ;) Note that the overall image is darker since I'm only letting light in through the cut out hole and not letting in any ambient light. Here, I used punches to make the holes about 1/2 and inch in size*****
    [​IMG]

6. Ooooohhhh aaaaaahhhh.....magic
    ***For this shot, I put a strand of lights in a box. As with the silhouette shot above, I went for a high ISO and wide aperture. I added the sparkles and text in PS. My settings here were ISO 6400, f2.8, SS 1/250****
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  2. Trish

Trish Well-Known Member

beautiful shots Farrah!

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Gorgeous shots Farrah.. I am definitely going to try some of these tips when I get the tree up this season!

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Beautiful, Farrah!! Can't wait to play around when all the lights are up!

5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

wonderful photos ...

6. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Wonderful photos and so inspiring.

7. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for the photography hints. We have no little ones around, but I love your idea of the lights in the box. Your photos are all wonderful!

8. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Wonderful & Amazing Photos!...Great Tutorial!...

9. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Wow! Wonderful inspiration here!

10. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Great photos. Love the lights box. I hope I can remember it to use when my new GD is older. If I tried the box now I would have to put catnip on the lights to see if I could get the cats to interact with the box. That might be fun to try.

11. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I am drooling over these ! . And I will try out some, because my tree shots are always awful !

12. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Wow, stunning photography. Thanks for all the great tips.

13. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

gorgeous, thanks for sharing

14. ljonezy

ljonezy The thingamabob that does the job is chocolate

These Are Stunning I Cant Wait To Try Them

15. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

Beautiful photos Farrah! I may try some when December starts. I’ve taken some photos using lights before.

16. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

Your photos are amazing, Farrah... *sigh* :heartslub Thank you for the tips!

17. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

stunning photos, Farrah....just WOW!!

18. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!