Streaming | 11.14.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 14, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

All this talk about Disney+ has made me curious.
    Do you subscribe to a streaming service? How many? Which ones?
    Or do you prefer to watch regular tv?

If you aren't a big tv watcher, how about your household?

2. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

I rarely - as in maybe 2-3 times a year - sit in the living room and watch our traditional tv with the traditional DirectTV service. My husband does though. Instead, I'm typically in the "office" scrapping, etc and "watch" movies/tv on the computer via Netflix or Hulu. I mostly listen, a few I actually watch. This is Us I do watch!

bestcee likes this.
  3. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Well, since we live way out in the boonies and things sometimes don't work well, like TV and Internet and phone services, we have signed up for Amazon Prime TV, Netflix and now the Disney+. Our landlord also just switched from Direct TV to Dish and that is working a lot better now. We love Disney even though we don't have little ones anymore. Our grandkids live right next door though so it's nice to have it for them. We are also Verizon customers and our daughter-in-law got the free years worth of the Disney+ but we have the family group package. With four families using it in our homes it could get really bogged down. So we just decided to go ahead and keep our own separate account for the Disney+. Pay for it ourselves.

bestcee likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

oh I just posted about this in the Disney+ thread.

We have slingtv, netflix and amazon prime (rarely watch on prime, but have for shipping). We did however just watch the new season of Jack Ryan on prime and loved it. I'm waiting on Disney+ because we have so many services already, but I'm guessing DD will wear hubby down this weekend and we'll get that too so he can watch the Mandalorain star wars series. When we do get Disney+, I want to drop netflix for awhile until we see what Disney+ has to offer. No sense in paying for more than you need, right!

I don't like to watch regular tv. I like to be able to fast forward and rewind. I also like streaming because I can binge watch. I don't watch much on netflix. That's mostly DD or hubby. I usually watch current tv shows for free on the ABC app or the CBS app. The CBS app doesn't work for the free stuff on appletv so I have to watch those on my ipad, but I don't mind if it saves me a few bucks. Hubby has slingtv blue/orange and pays extra for pac12 network. He's all about the sports so we have to have those. I use slingtv for my hallmark mystery and/or christmas shows, although I haven't watched any christmas shows yet. I also like the HGTV shows and food network show and get those on slingtv with the subscriptions hubby has.

5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I can't think of the last time in the past year I've watched network tv live. With Netflix ,Amazon Prime and one son's Hulu and the other's HBO-something, I don't ever want to see a commercial again! The only thing I'm watching from network is This is Us and I lose my patience when there's another commercial break that I can't escape on even the On Demand!!! But I can mute and clean out some bits of paper that I need to read but it still bugs me.

1st world issue for sure. I'm all on the fence about Acorn or Britbox as DH has come to enjoy some of the British shows I love since he had cancer. He's finally been able to handle subtitles!!

bestcee likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Do you subscribe to a streaming service? How many? Which ones?
    We subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime (tv is just bonus since we use it for shopping), And now Disney+. We also have comcast/xfinity cable tv, internet, home security & a home phone. smh... My hubby refuses to get rid of cable (sports mostly!) We have a gate in our community- so the home phone is the number the gate calls. Netflix is because we can watch it on they screen in the hubby's tesla! It has made carpooling WAY more fun- I can catch up on my shows while waiting for kids' sports!

Or do you prefer to watch regular tv? If you aren't a big tv watcher, how about your household?
    We dvr a lot so we can watch after the kids are in bed. I watch in the office often while scrapping but my hubby is definitely the tv guy. The kids are super excited to watch Disney+ on the xbox- since it's upstairs in the playroom & not usually able to watch much for movies/shows.

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

We can use Acorn free through our library. Maybe you can too?

8. bestcee

This sounds a little dangerous! Is it up front where the driver sees it? Does it run when the car is on?
    That's fun to watch while waiting at sports though!

It's also making me wonder if that's the reason the Tesla guy yesterday was swerving and such. I figured he was on his phone, but maybe it was Netflix?

amien1 likes this.
  9. bestcee

This is me. Most of my tv watching, except GBBO with Nick, is downstairs on the computer. Hence the NEED for two screens! :giggle

10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol- yes it's the main screen- BUT it wont work as soon as the car is in drive (or reverse) ;) Only while parked!
    20191105_200016.jpg

11. bestcee

So, is this actually cheaper than cable then? Just curious.

12. bestcee

Phew!Of course that means, he probably was looking on his phone....:duh
    I was worried more drivers would look like this! :driving

amien1 likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We don't have regular cable tv at all. We do have an antenna to get local stations, but it's more of a pain than anything so we never use it. We have Netflix, Hulu (free with our cell service), and Amazon Prime w/ HBO added. I stream TWD and Supernatural on the AMC and CW sites with a *borrowed* tv login :) It's more than enough for what we watch. DH watches what he wants in his office, but mostly just has the tv on for background noise. I stream in my office while I'm scrapping or doing other things. And DS streams in his room from time to time, but he's usually playing video games. Occasionally on the weekend, we sit down in the living room and watch a movie together. I'm not planning on Disney+ at all. There are some older movies I'd like to see again for fun, but not enough that it would justify a monthly cost and there's not really much else that interests any of us enough.

14. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

We've been using Netflix since 2005 (and we stopped paying for cable TV that year too). I rarely use Netflix but my family uses it a lot.

We also pay for YouTube Premium. It's how my second child gets music (my first uses Apple Music), and all of us enjoy ad-free videos. I watch a couple videos nearly every day.

I've used Hulu, just two one month periods -- one a free trial, the other a "please come back at the low rate deal" -- just so I could watch Handmaid's Tale.

And this year I've had a Curiosity Stream membership -- I got a deal last December making it only $12 for the whole year -- but I don't think about it often, even though there are some interesting documentaries on there.

We've also used a little bit of Google Play for a few movies and shows, like Supernatural (though for the last couple of years I've just streamed it free on the CW app).

I haven't watched any broadcast TV in 15 years. Maybe 20. Well, when I was at the end of pregnancy with my 18 year old and on "couch rest" for slightly elevated blood pressure, I watched a lot of Whose Line is It Anyway and Baby Story on cable. In the 90's I was a fan of Friends and X-Files. After having kids, I watched Dora The Explorer and other kid shows. Since we got rid of cable TV though, we've gotten our shows through the internet.

keepscrappin likes this.
  15. keepscrappin

Two years ago when we had xfinity they were uping it to $220 a month for cable, internet and phone. The internet was terrible and I always had problems. I switched to utopia fiber with xmission as our isp. That's $67 a month and tons faster and very reliable. Slingtv is $65 with all the extras hubby has added on and even with Netflix we're still way less than $220. I went in and talked to xfinity but they wouldn't negotiate like they had in the past so I cut the cable and haven't looked back. Hubby does sometimes want to get satellite (I think directv for the sports) but it's too much and you have to sign all those 2yr contracts. Cutting the cable is the best thing I've ever done.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. keepscrappin

I use the CW app on my ipad and appletv to watch The Flash and Legacies... works for me.

17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We have:
    • Amazon Prime + Starz subscription while I watch Outlander
    • Netflix
    • Hulu (no ads, live TV, sports package)
    • antennae TV

KayTeaPea likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

We are a streaming family - been for a few years. No cable, no landline. We have Prime, Hulu, Netflix and then some subscriptions (HBO, etc) that change depending on what series we are currently following.

I also recently got a notice that my new iPhone came with free Apple TV sub for a year (I think it was a year, not sure 100%). I had no idea. Haven't watched anything on it yet - anyone have it and have suggestions?

19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We have Amazon Prime and Netflix and subscribe to HBO and Showtime through XFinity.

20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have Amazon Prime mainly for the free shipping but have watched a few things on it. I love Survivor and Amazing Race and when I hear of former contestants competing on a new season, I will watch their previous seasons to refresh my memory of how they played/raced before. Need to get started on my Survivor rewatch... the next season is #40 and is a season of nothing but previous winners of the show.

I still have cable. Went cord free 3.5 years ago and didn't even last 6 weeks. Didn't help it was during an extremely stressful time (my father died unexpectedly) and I was diagnosed with tinnitus. The one thing that helps me sleep at night aka drowning out the noise in my head from the tinnitus is having the tv on all night. Doesn't work with streaming... at least at that time it would shut off and ask if I was still watching in the middle of the night. Cable TV doesn't do that. I have about 3 stations that I rotate having on all night long with the sound low enough that I hear it but I don't hear what is actually going on.

I have TV on all day long just for the noise factor needed to drown out the tinnitus. A couple of my favorite stations were not available on streaming when I cut the cord. They might be now but when I do stream something from Prime I have buffering. That drives me nuts so I'll stick with cable.

I have no local stations so still had cable for just those stations when going cordless so was still paying for cable. Since I'm with a small, local cable company, my cable bill is not that bad. I don't have a DVR which makes it even cheaper. By the time I added up the cable for just the local channels and the streaming services that I would need to have a selection of things to watch, I was paying the same or more than what my cable payment was.

So for me, having cable is worth it. The cable company has the "watchtvanywhere" option available so for those stations that are on my cable system, I can use that to watch something I might have missed.

bestcee likes this.