Finding Your Style | DYD 2019

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by tkradtke, Nov 13, 2019.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I am so excited that it's DYD time!! This is probably my favorite project that I do each year. I love having my cute little stack of books to put out on the coffee table each Christmas. However, as much as I love DYD, it has not always come easy for me. I have struggled with setting my style and keeping up with it during the season. The key thing to my success has been to set my base and that base has almost always been a template set, but sometimes it is a specific look or product collection. This doesn't mean that my books have only consisted of layouts using my chosen base style, but it does mean that I have an available set to pull from for my pages. I don't aim for having a totally homogenous album, but I like to have a bit of consistency throughout.

2013 was my first completed year. (I will let you in on a secret though... I just completed it this summer. It was almost entirely complete but I got frustrated that I had skipped some days with taking Christmas photos. I let that go and printed the book!)

Here's what that book looked like...

IMG_4556TLP.jpg

And the bulk of the pages looked like this...
    IMG_4557TLP.jpg
    IMG_4559TLP.jpg

I used a very simple pocket style template set, flood filled pockets with color for titles and journaling and added elements and papers. The designer who made that template set has since retired from TLP, but you could easily make your own similar set using Mommyish's Template Maker Actions...
    folder-4292576141.jpg

In 2014, I did a photo a day project for December instead of a traditional DYD.
    IMG_4561TLP.jpg

There are so many great 3x4 templates available in the store if a simple project like this is more your style...
    sahlinstudio_decemberdays_templates1.jpg _paislee-3x4PhotoTemplates-No3-prv.jpg sc_pocketfillers3_pv.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    KarenB and bellbird like this.
  2. tkradtke

In 2015, I decided to do a hybrid book. I think I finished three "days" worth of pages before abandoning it. I need to go back and do a digital version soon.

In 2016, after a couple of years of very little journaling, I decided that I needed to journal... lol!

This year I did not use a specific template set for consistency, but more of a set format for all of the days in the album. I set up my journaling side pages in advance and added the right side throughout the season. I used a lot of challenges from here at TLP to get those right side pages done.

For 2017, I wanted to do more of a traditionally scrapped album... BUT, I still wanted a template set to be my base. It helped me stay on track with being able to complete pages quickly, but by primarily using that year's DYD collection, the album had a consistent feel even with mixing up the templates throughout the book...

My base template set that year was this...
    sc_25daysofchristmas2012_preview.jpg

Other great options are...
    soco_DM2019_pv.jpg SwL_HollyJollyTemplates.jpg fdd_DecemberDetails3_pvw.jpg

And finally, my 2018 album...

I love the look of DYD projects done in 6x8 ring bound albums. I wanted to recreate that look the best I could and print as the same 8x8 photo book format of my previous years. I used the Template Maker Actions by Mommyish to create my base set of templates...
    Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 3.39.14 PM.png
    The simple format, coupled with these templates made up and ready to go kept me on track all season.

So... to wrap up all of my sharing and rambling... having a base set of templates available really helps me stay on track and have a consistent look to my albums. I'm working on figuring out what I would like my 2019 book to look like at the moment. Haven't quite figured it out yet. I've been spending a lot of time on Pinterest lately trying to figure out the overall look that I want. I loved the simplicity of my album last year, but feel the need to mix things up. I may make a set of 8x8 templates using the template maker actions for this year's base, but haven't committed to that quite yet.

How about you... do you like to use templates as a base for your albums? If so, any favorites or have you decided on your 2019 set already? Have you been thinking about the style or look you want for your album? I would love to see what your plans are!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Soco and bellbird like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I always love your books, Tracie!! So beautifully done!! I will probably be using Designed by Soco's December Memories 6x8 templates this year! I'm really looking forward to getting started!

Soco likes this.
  4. tkradtke

Thanks Jan! (and thanks again for the help with the slideshows :-) ) I love those templates as well! I'm trying to figure out how to work them into my plan. I am still so enamored with the look of DYD books done in sn@p albums, but I don't want to just duplicate what I did last year.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Great ideas. I did my first SNAP album last year and I absolutely love it. I've already got my SNAP album prepped for this year although I will switch things up as I go. So in love with the 6x8 size.

tkradtke likes this.
  6. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I have completed DYD every year (but one I think 2011?) since 2008!
    20181123_162146.jpg
    I've used template sets each year too. This year I'm using Cheryl's. I'll print it out as an 8x8 album *usually a free one from shutterfly! Every year I set up library within photoshop to quickly access the same supplies for each layout/day. It makes it so much faster to not have to go digging in my supply folders. I usually use a few of the coordinating supplies. This year I'm using Leah's styles & be very merry kit!

tkradtke likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for all of the wonderful inspiration, Tracie!!

tkradtke likes this.
  8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@tkradtke I loved how all of your books turned out, they are truly keepsakes! I still haven't decided if I'm going to DYD this year... We'll see. I may wake up on December 1 and give it a go. But I really fell in love with the 8x4" TN style (digital) version that I created for 2018, so I think that would be my go-to.

tkradtke likes this.
  9. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

2017 was my fist year doing DYD, and I used an album set to create a different page for each day.
    This year I've been using Liz's Reflection templates for P12. So I'll use the December one for a general DYD 2 pager. I want to do some pages for December Devotional moments, and also for family gatherings. Not decided on what format to use for those yet. Might be more 2-pagers.

tkradtke likes this.
  10. tkradtke

I absolutely adore SNAP albums! I wasn't successful with my DYD SNAP album, but I have made several travel albums with them. But that all stopped once my color printer died.... sigh. DYD SNAP albums are my favorite so I can't wait to see your pages!

Brilliant!! I prefer to have my supplies in folders by designer... but there's no reason why I can't move them to a DYD folder for the season! That will make things so much easier. Great choices for your album this year!

You're welcome Cheryl!

Thanks Marilyn! I do hope you wake up on December 1st and decide to play along! I loved your TN DYD from last year. With fewer Christmas events this year, I'm going to try to focus more on my photography to fill my pages. We'll see how it goes.

Those sound like great pages to make, Angela! I can't wait to see your layouts!

11. ashanddiz

ashanddiz Well-Known Member

I just bought Soco's template set. I'm usually a PL App scrapper, so this will be a bit different for me. And I've never done a 6x8 album. Actually, I've NEVER done a December Daily album. Been scrapbooking forEVER, but somehow just now got on board! Ha! I'm really hoping I can stick with it!

Angela Toucan and Soco like this.
  12. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

@tkradtke OMG Tracie! I LOVE your books!!! :heartslub Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Jan @IntenseMagic , if you do, please show me what you come up with! Thanks!!! :beat

Ashley @ashanddiz , thank you!!! I can't wait to see what you do!!! :happyhug

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Tracie I love how you made the 6x8s look with that strip on the side for your 2018 album! I may need to consider that option because i also love the look of 6x8 size, but want to put in with my 8x8 pages. :beat

14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Soco likes this.
  15. Soco

Soco Shhhhhh. Just shhhhhh.

Thank you again, Jan @IntenseMagic ! You make me so happy!!! :heartslub

16. tkradtke

Yay! I'm so glad you've decided to do DYD this year! I really think it makes me appreciate the season more when I take the time to document the days. Lesson I learned from past years... if you miss a day or two here or there, the project is still worth it in the end. And if you're not done at the end of December, I love using the MOC challenges in January to finish up my book :-)

Awww... thanks Soco! Thanks for such beautiful products to work with!

Thanks! That was exactly the boat I was in... in love with the 6x8 size but wanting to match my existing 8x8 books. Since I printed as a photo book it had the added bonus of not needing to worry about losing anything important to the gutter. That set 6x8 pocket style made my pages super quick to put together which was really nice.

klee73010 and Soco like this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I did DYD 2017 although I found today that I didn't do my page for the 31st! Must remedy that as I do have photos. I also took photos every day in 2018 but have not yet done any pages. I do plan on doing 2019. I will use Liz's templates for these pages. In 2017 I just used templates and kits that went with the photos. I will probably use kits to go with the photos for the day instead of one kit for the whole months. I like variety.

My plan is to not do individual books for each year but to use one of my CM Christmas albums (12x12 prints from Persnickety) and put 3 or 4 years in it. Today I did a title page for 2017. I might try to get that last page done for 2017 and do 2018 before the 1st so I'll be ready to go this year.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Just want to say that I am now caught up on DYD 2017 and 2018.

I finished 2018 just minutes ago. I ended up using FDD's December Details templates and the BellaGypsy Snap Happier kit from 2016 for all the pages. I pretty much used the same elements and papers on each page just varying the colors.

Now I can move on to 2019.

19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Soco and IntenseMagic like this.