Disney+ Streaming

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by amien1, Nov 10, 2019.

1. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

We are browsing now and I'm totally screaming at some of the things I can watch now at any time. ROFL

Karen, bestcee and amien1 like this.
  2. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I got to watch the "old" Beauty & the Beast movie and eat some popcorn while the kids were off at an activity last night. We watched about 25 minutes of "Newsies" before they had to go to bed, and they both want to continue watching it tonight so it's already been worth the $6.99 to me!

I have a Hulu+ account but Disney+ gives you a 5.99 "credit" towards your Hulu (basic) account so it works out to the same exact amount per month for my accounts to be separate as to be bundled together so I passed. We don't care about and won't watch ESPN+ so that was not a draw for me.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Just tell them they can only watch disney shows while you are on the Kindle fire?
    Or check on that. Because a Hulu basic account says it gives you 2 screens.

Honestly, we have had Netflix - 1 screen and Hulu for awhile now and DH and I (or munchkin) haven't had a streaming problem where we want to both watch one of the services. And I thought Hulu was 1 screen too so we've never tried to have both at once.

Tree City likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I just read this on Hulu.com: "As long as you keep your eligible existing Hulu account, Disney will give you a credit towards your Disney bundle subscription in the amount of $5.99/month — the value of the Hulu (ad-supported) plan included in the Disney bundle (however, you’ll keep the Hulu plan you have)"
    That whole page was what I'd been looking for yesterday. IDK how I missed it (maybe it was live after I was searching? *shrug*) So I signed us up.
    @bestcee I can tell them what to use/not to use...I just don't always know what I'm going to watch. Although I have told them to ask me before turning on Hulu simply because we only have one profile and there isn't a "Kids" profile like on Netflix. And between regular cable TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime (which we barely use for movies/TV; I got it for shipping lol), and now Disney+ ... there shouldn't be a fight over which service we use, should there? Also, in a few months we'll probably have to evaluate what we're actually using lol and cancel what we're not watching.

keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My hubby and I had this same conversation last night at dinner when he and my oldest son announced they want Disney+ What? It was of course for the Star Wars and Avengers stuff. Sigh. We have SOOOOO many extra streaming services right now and I KNOW we don't them all enough to justify the cost. Oh and we still pay for cable. Seriously? The ESPN part of Disney+ intrigued my hubby so maybe if he had that we could quit cable finally? Although it's only like $30 a month above our internet so I guess it's not too terrible in the end.

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

That's my issue too: cutting cable wouldn't really cut our bill that much. FiOS really has me over a barrel LOL because I need my fast internet!

cfile likes this.
  7. Karen

Yep.

Tree City likes this.
  8. bestcee

We do this all the time. In fact, we've only had Netflix for about 2 months, and after we finish Great British Baking show, we might cancel it again.

So, that's what I thought our bill was based on how it was written (Cox). But, we called and cancelled cable. And then we threatened to cancel internet and go to Centurylink. They adjusted our internet bill (yes, I had to drop speed, but see below), and now we are saving $80 over where we were with cable.

I've been one of those fast fast fast! internet people. So, when we were looking at dropping it because we didn't want to pay so much, we decided we'd try a lower speed, we can always upgrade. We've been at 30 mbps down, and 3mbps up now since August. We stream shows, Nick plays computer games, and both Nick and Munchkin play overwatch on the PS4 at the same time together. So far, it's been fine. I was really surprised! I've noticed a small lag when I'm trying to upload (not download) and both boys are playing on the PS4, but that's it. And by small, I mean it takes 2 minutes (literally) for me to upload 5 full size DSLR photos on Flickr. Obviously, YMMV, but you may not be as locked in to the higher speed as we've been marketed.

Tree City and keepscrappin like this.
  9. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@Tree City @Karen @bestcee

DD was asking when we were getting Disney+ last night and I told her we need to decide which service to drop and she about died literally.... hehe! How dare I say we might drop netflix for a while to save money while we try Disney+. She told me to drop slingtv instead, but there's no way I can do that because hubby needs his sports. He has slingtv blue/orange (for ESPN and other sports channels) and pays extra for the pac12 network.

Needing the sports is what's killing us. And then there's needing fast internet but I never get the full speeds Utopia fiber/Xmission promised. If you connect over WiFi instead of a wired connection you'll get lower speeds and it's all dependent on what your router, computer and wireless network card can give you. 250Mbps is fast enough for our family to have 3-4 streaming movies and me downloading/uploading scrapping stuff. It lags at times, but it's way better than what we had with Comcast/xfinity and it's cheaper too.

Karen and Tree City like this.
  10. bestcee

I didn't add sports. We really only watch hockey, so we bought NHL for the year, and I got a student discount. That's the only sports we pay for. We haven't done sling because we don't miss tv overall. The few shows we like to watch real time are on hulu. The others we gave up for now, and don't miss them. I was surprised by that, but there's so much else to watch, and I like being able to watch the next episode without waiting a week or two.

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. Karen

Unfortunately we did lower our bandwidth (unknowingly... when we switched packages) Long story, but at the end of our stupid Comcast contract we had to call and play the dumb game with them to not raise our rates. They said they found a package the kept everything the same and was $5 cheaper a month, but then we almost immediately noticed the difference. All of us were complaining about different things... my shows were buffering terribly, the boys noticed when they were gaming, etc. so we did a speed test and saw that instead of the 150 mps that we were supposed to be getting they had downgraded us to 30 Mps and we did not like it! :giggle My hubby had to call and complain and I think he sorted it out so we are back to the 150. There wasn't anything in between which was rather dumb. The whole thing also seems like a racket to me. Why should they care what speed they give us? But also... our router started misbehaving around the same time too, so maybe it's that? We are going to pick up a new one if this one can last until Black Friday and then see what difference it makes.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  12. Karen

We now have Disney+ :giggle My hubby and oldest couldnt' resist the Madalorian Star Wars show, so my hubby signed up for the trial and plan to have it until at least we watch that show. We started it last night and it's really good!

LoveItScrapIt, bestcee and amien1 like this.
  13. bestcee

It is a racket. Seriously. There is no reason to throttle speeds except to make more money.

Tree City and Karen like this.
  14. scrpprgirl

scrpprgirl New Member

Not sure if anyone is still on the fence about purchasing but if you use Rakuten Ebates they are offering $10.00 back if you subscribe to Disney+. If you aren't a member I can give you my code and you get $10 back for using it the first time. I'm not sure if I can put my link in here or not?

15. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

I've got it and I love how it has the old shows on it too, for nostalgia. And I'm a huge Star Wars and Marvel fan so yay for Disney+. I'm thinking I'll keep the subscription!

bestcee likes this.