Import photos from iphone to windows 10?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by kraftkris, Nov 10, 2019.

1. kraftkris

kraftkris Member

hi All -

I have not digi scrapped in a long time and I have the itch to work on a 2019 yearbook.

I used to be able to import my iphone Photos into windows pretty easily, but using the import function built within the photos app on Windows 10 hangs up everytime.

I noticed that there is a new file type - .heic - is that the issue? and how do you work around that?

Would love to hear some suggestions on photo workflow.

Thanks in advance!

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

There are a couple of ways you can deal with the .heic file types.
    -You can go into settings>camera>formats and choose Most Compatible instead of High Efficiency. That way it will only take JPEG photos.
    -Another way is to have them convert automatically when they transfer. Go to settings>photos>scroll down and select Automatic under Transfer to Mac or PC.
    -There are also converters online if you need it for images already on your computer. There are a few if you search "heic to jpg converter".

I use Google Photos for getting my photos from the phone to the computer. I have the Google Photos app on my phone import everyday from my camera roll, then I go to Google Photos on the computer when I have a little time and download the photos that I want. I love that it has them arranged by date...makes it much easier for me to organize when I download them.

Good luck with your yearbook!!

3. kraftkris

kraftkris Member

Thank you so much!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@IntenseMagic - Thank you so much for this information. I've been struggling with this issue and would like to take photos without having to run them through a converter.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

@kraftkris you aren't alone... some of us were just talking about the same thing here:

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/dropbox-lightroom-and-iphones.66938/

I posted a way to convert .heic photos to .jpgs in there too.

I suspect you might be having the same problem I am having when I download my pictures to my Windows 10 computer... my computer gets hung up on the videos for some reason. I don't use the import function, but rather open two file explorer windows and drag from one to the other. I just highlight only the photos and drag those and I have no problems, but if I have videos they almost always halt my progress. :( I haven't found a solution to get those off my phone directly yet either. I can only get them from google photos and that resizes them smaller. :(

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

Yep its the .heic format. I've looked into pretty extensively recently. However, I think I found a work around...by accident! It may not work for everyone.

I auto import everything from my phone to dropbox. Up until like three days ago I was manually transferring everything from dropbox to my computer using Lightroom. I decided to make my life easier and auto import from dropbox to my computer using Lightroom. All of sudden my videos and photos with .heic format were transferring! As far as I can tell the are not being compressed either. I have NO IDEA why this work around is working but it is.

Hope that helps someone else with the same problem.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Thanks for the solutions. @IntenseMagic @Karen @mrspotts
    Someone was having problems with this at the last digi night out. I'll point them here. I'll also want to have my family check their iphone settings so I can easily use the photos they take too.

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I use onedrive app which uploads all my photos. Up until two weeks ago, they would upload as jpegs. Now they have converted to the new format and of course I can't get them to be recognized on my computer. I was able to find this download that helps. It is a good work around, but I am not like the extra steps. Why is everything a struggle, lol
    https://www.copytrans.net/copytransheic/

9. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

I just email the images to myself and then save in the desired folders.

cfile likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I do the same or plug my iPhone into the laptop and just copy them over.

pagefrocks likes this.
  11. Karen

That's the problem though... this isn't working the same as it used to. I used to be able to download all my photos and videos this way, but something changed and now I can't transfer my videos the same way as I always used to. And it's not all of them, just some of them. :shrug

cfile likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Tat is odd. I just plug in the cord into the usb of my laptop .. then it pops on my cell phone, I click allow on my cell phone for viewing and then I go to the iPhone in my drop down menu.. locate the photo folder and then copy to my laptop. I am so sorry you are having issues.

Karen likes this.
  13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I use a website/app to save my photos too, and it automatically changes the format. (Smugmug) Before that, I had turned off/changed the format on my phone to be regular jpeg's rather than HEIC.

Here is what Smug Mug said regarding the upload/download of HEIC pictures.

"HEIC files also have limited browser compatibility, so we convert them to JPEGs to allow browsers to be able to display them. We don't retain a copy of the original HEIC file, so if you try to download the original at a later date, you'll receive a high-quality JPEG.

At this time we're unable to support LivePhotos and slow-mo movies, so the moving portion of LivePhotos will be ignored and a static JPEG will instead be displayed, and slow-mo movies will play in real time."

One day, all will be able to use, we just have to wait until it's universal!

Karen likes this.
  14. Karen

Yep. That's exactly what I've always done too. Thankfully the photos are coming through normally still, but I'm having a bear of a time with the videos.

cfile likes this.
  15. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

One way I get past the HEIC format is to open the photo in Photoshop and resave to a JPG and deselect the ICC profile that is selected.

As far as moving over the photos from the phone to the computer, I did a little searching on Google and found that if you go into your phone's settings for photos, select keep originals, and then go into camera and enable keep normal photo, they will move over to the pc.