Fast Five: How do you measure|Pad Patter 11.7

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 7, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

1. Gasoline? Gallons/liters/something else? Litres
    2. Baking? (Cups? ounces? tablespoons? something else?) Cups/teaspoons & tablespoons
    3. Time? 12 hour or 24 hour clock? 12
    4. Food? (pounds? kilos?) kilograms
    5. Speed? (mph? kmh?) kilometres per hour

2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

OK here goes
    Denmark is all metric system;
    Fuel; liters
    both food and baking ;Kilos or gram's liquid measure deciliters
    time both 12 hours and 24 ( mostly 24 for official time)
    Speed ;Kilometers,
    Malta on the other hand ,is officially Metric, but they also use imperial measures in daily speech, and if they are 60 plus will still use the old Maltese measure. Rotolo or Ratal is 800 grams - kvart is 200 grams
    they will also use yard in speech, but will get a metre.... It makes sense to us lol
    12 hour clock only in Maltese
    Land is still sold by the Turmoli ,(a seventh of an acre )

3. LadyPatsFan

LadyPatsFan New Member

1. Gasoline? Gallons/liters/something else? - gallons
    2. Baking? (Cups? ounces? tablespoons? something else?) cups/tbsp/tsp
    3. Time? 12 hour or 24 hour clock? - both (mostly 12 for day-to-day, but as software engineer, frequently 24 at work or for saving files at home)
    4. Food? (pounds? kilos?) - pounds
    5. Speed? (mph? kmh?) - mph

6. Distance? (miles/km? time?) TIME! I have no idea how far other major cities are from us in miles. Not a single clue, not even a guess or an estimate. But I can tell you how long it will take to drive to most of the major or popular cities/destinations from here, not including extra pit stops. St Louis 8 hrs, Omaha 6 1/2 hrs, Dallas almost 5 hrs, Tampa about 18 hrs, Boston about 23 hrs, OKC about 1.5 to 2 hrs depending which side of the city you need.

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That is so interesting! (to me anyway :giggle)

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I thought of another 'other'- clothing & shoes _ I buy shoes labelled US8/UK6/EUR39 (yep all 3 are on the box - is that normal in the US, UK & Europe??) And our dress sizes I think are different - on TV (US shows) they talk about size zero & 2 etc but I think the smallest ladies here is a 6 & come sale time, the piles of 6-10s are generally still sitting there, while the rest of us wish we'd thought to go shopping before the sale because we end up with the odd colours & prints to choose from or leaving the shop without- no I'm not jaded at all about these experiences :disagree

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I forgot I hadn't answered the first bit really- oops!
    1. Gasoline? Gallons/liters/something else?
    PETROL (some cars are converted to take 'gas'but it's LPG, liquid petroleum gas, & I think it's basically what you'd use to run a BBQ /grill) - litres

2. Baking? (Cups? ounces? tablespoons? something else?)
    mls ( 'mills') -millilitres or cups & spoons but DD swears that cooking shows say weighing out the grams of something is far better for the science of baking & we have a kitchen scale that can measure in grams or mls

3. Time? 12 hour or 24 hour clock?
    _same as @Karen -mental maths & add in often converting btwn timezones. I swear the best place to live would be Greenwich so I wouldn't be GMT plus or minus anything ever!

4. Food? (pounds? kilos?)
    _ Kilos, a kilo of flour is like standard; 500grams is a standard pack of pasta etc; liquids & drinks are litres or ml's; I have yelled at Pinterest before because I havebt got a <insert number > ounce can of whatever for a recipe & then have to go find my conversion charts... it's a wonder I actually ever cook anything, I really wish that scale converted to ounces etc as well! (And seriously explaining cooking abbreviations to kids takes a lot of patience - at least Tbs & tsp they can understand because all the letters are in the actual word; 'lb' & 'oz' not so much, it's probably from like latin or something but who wants to explain all that to kids that ask " why?" a million times a day anyway, I feel super bad for you guys that would be dealing with it so much more!

5. Speed? (mph? kmh?)
    _ kph ("Kay's per hour") - although I had a driver instructor when I was on my L plates that said everything as kilo's - eg. Passing speed, round about, twenty five kilo's) He taught me a lot more than just how to drive but I felt like I took 10 steps back before I even got 1 step forwards.

Anything else you think you measure differently in your country?
    It's always interesting to see the differences across the world!
    _ ( the posts above!)

Karen likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:compcoffee:beat :goldstars

8. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

1. Gasoline? Gallons/liters/something else? gallons
    2. Baking? (Cups? ounces? tablespoons? something else?) cups and tablespoons
    3. Time? 12 hour or 24 hour clock? both, although prefer 12 hour time - but I work in Healthcare so 24 hour time is common and my son is in the military and always talks military time. And actually health care uses metric system for a lot of data so I'm starting to catch on to it a bit more.
    4. Food? (pounds? kilos?) lbs
    5. Speed? (mph? kmh?) mph

LOL @IntenseMagic -reminds me of driving with my husband in Ireland - we rented a car and every time I looked at the speedometer I nearly had a heart attack and then had to remember it was kmh. That and driving on the other side of the road - nearly did me in!

Karen and LadyPatsFan like this.