carving pumpkins | pad patter 10.29.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 29, 2019.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We have one pumpkin for each of us but haven't carved them and I'm not sure if they'll get done this year. DD (13) doesn't want to carve one, hubby is out of town on business and I've been fighting a bad cold and don't have the energy.

The closest I've come to carving pumpkins is watching episodes of Halloween Wars. I wish I could carve pumpkins like that. It's amazing what they can make from a pumpkin. I can barely trace a pattern and cut it out!

[​IMG]

Have you carved your pumpkins yet? Do you do simple carvings or intricate?

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

No carving pumpkins here. The weather is too hot and humid and they just end up rotting very quickly. It's a huge smelly mess . . . LOL

Cherylndesigns and keepscrappin like this.
  3. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

We are skipping this year, we have too much crap going on this year!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We usually do but considering it's the day before Halloween & it's not done yet, I guess we won't be! We don't do anything fancy -- just whatever design the kids come up with.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I have never carved a pumpkin in my life. Decorating inside or out for the holiday was never done growing up nor have I done it as an adult.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I bought one, and maybe between my son and I we'll get it carved. I'm frantically running around these days trying to get the last pieces of our renovation together, and it's been taking up all of my spare time. I'll probably carve something Mickey Mouse, unless my DS gets to it first! He does an amazing job carving those complex picture ones - I think you know what I mean!

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My "carved pumpkins" are plastic with those little lights inside. :lol:lol

keepscrappin and HavaDrPepper like this.
  8. keepscrappin

I do have some of those in the garage. Maybe I should pull them out.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

We don't carve pumpkins either. I remember when I was young we used to and then clean and roast the seeds in the oven.

BevG and keepscrappin like this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We haven't done it for a few years. The youngest lost interest, so that's one less thing on my to-do list!

keepscrappin likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You definitely should! I'm always amazed every year that the little lights still work!

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. keepscrappin

we might just cut one open and get out the seeds, so hubby can try a recipe with his new smoker.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

While I'm not opposed to carving pumpkins, the kids didn't ask to do it this year and we didn't bring it up.
    This year DS was kind of bummed with pumpkins in general because last year he brought some pumpkin seed sprouts home from school and we got a nicely sized pumpkin from one of them. He was so proud, as he should be! This year his seedlings didn't do well. (Granted, he "transplanted" them TWICE, once into the actual lawn instead of the garden bed, sigh. But explain why that's a problem to a 7yo!)
    [​IMG]

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We did too. No punkins at our place so far. Two years ago we did a really big one that sat on our front porch pillar. The squirrels tore it up!! Probably will do a Fall theme on the porch next week for November.

LoveItScrapIt and keepscrappin like this.
  15. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Oh smoked ones would probably be yummy

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We are hit and miss with carving pumpkins. My boys do enjoy it and the last couple of times they've wanted to do it all on their own which helps a ton... so my hubby and I don't have to do all the work for theirs and ours. :giggle We aren't going to do them this year though. We just ran out of time and I never even bought any pumpkins. Oops!

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

The raccoons "carved" the pumpkins last night so we don't have to. :agree

BevG likes this.
  18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

No carving over here. Too many kids and too messy. LOL! My kids have only carved pumpkins one year and that is when their Aunt did it with them.

19. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

In previous years I had to buy the pumpkins early because they would sell out. Last year it rotted a week before Halloween. Since the baby is off to college, I thought no pumpkins this year! But alas, there are 3 of them plus a bale of hay on my porch. I don't plan to carve any of them so I guess they are Thanksgiving decorations.

Pumpkin 1 was brought home by college girl since she could not have a real pumpkin in her dorm. Pumpkin 2 & 3 came the next weekend when the girl's friend came to visit and they planned (but didn't) to carve them. And the bale of hay? Hubby threw some of it on the bare spots in the yard with grass seed. So I am all fall looking without intending to be. Guess I should hang up the motorized bat.

And the porch light has been on this week (and no freeze here yet) so I have natural spider webs with bugs out there too.